ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Indiana Game Thread

Agreed. This was a team loss if ever there was one.

I didn't have a problem with the refs letting the 2 point conversion stand - it was pretty near impossible to tell from the replay whether the football hit the pylon before or after it hit the ground out of bounds.

That’s the problem... Even if the ball had only hit the pylon and never touched the ground he should have been down short. Pylon is out of bounds.

No it didn’t. Hit the side of the pylon facing upfield not the inside face facing across the field to the other pylon. If it had crossed the goal line in bounds it would have hit the inside face. Screw job. Oh well. Big ten is good for at least one a season. It is what it is.

Understand your disappointment, trust me IU has lost many...many more games than they have won due to controversial calls.

The player was not out of bounds and the tip had broken the plane. The rule is that any portion of the ball crossing the line is breaking the plane. That is clear.

What no available replay clearly indicates is whether any other part of the ball touches the turf out of bounds BEFORE the tip breaks the plane. By definition the call stands.

Now...had the call been out of bounds...for the same reasons explained above that call would have by rule stood as well.

One thing that is not controversial...PSu should not have scored and run the clock out for the win.

Understand your disappointment, trust me IU has lost many...many more games than they have won due to controversial calls.

The player was not out of bounds and the tip had broken the plane. The rule is that any portion of the ball crossing the line is breaking the plane. That is clear.

What no available replay clearly indicates is whether any other part of the ball touches the turf out of bounds BEFORE the tip breaks the plane. By definition the call stands.

Now...had the call been out of bounds...for the same reasons explained above that call would have by rule stood as well.

One thing that is not controversial...PSu should not have scored and run the clock out for the win.
It doesn't have to touch the ground, it only had to break there plane. Secondly, what the pylon. It goes straight back because the ball hit the front of the pilon and not the inside ( which would have casused it too go sideways further out of bounds)

It’s not possible for that ball to have crossed the goal line and not hit the inside of the pylon.

The tip of the football is more narrow than any portion behind it. For that reason it is completely possible.

The call would have stood if called either way. The available replays shows it was quite possible to be good but unclear as to if it actually was.

If I were you guys I would focus more on having the presence of mind to not score when IU begged you to. That and getting Brooks Ellis under control before he paralyzes someone. Two years in a row with that guy

The tip of the football is more narrow than any portion behind it. For that reason it is completely possible.

No... it’s not. the ball would have hit the inside or corner of the pylon first instead smacking straight into the face of it if the nose had crossed the goal line in bounds.

But while you’re here and full of insights, Tell me what a great call the face mask penalty that saved the game tying drive was.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to touch the ground, it only had to break there plane. Secondly, what the pylon. It goes straight back because the ball hit the front of the pilon and not the inside ( which would have casused it too go sideways further out of bounds)

Actually it doesn't go straight back. If you watch that overhead video angle from the endzone, it goes back on a diagonal toward the center of the endzone, which would be impossible if the point of the ball was on the inside edge of the pylon.

For all those who believe the ball crossed the plane, then hit down, and then hit the pylon, here are some graphics that explain how that is possible.

Z3Bj8sq8yJ-Wier5BRhi0APgmmww7lLWOrj2d2uNdQ3uJzvOzhklLG7EXGOVEUnq0bI0HDCwhd3ZT2iRD1Fs9zVyvQ

7794102296_9e36ab039c_o.jpg

Actually it doesn't go straight back. If you watch that overhead video angle from the endzone, it goes back on a diagonal toward the center of the endzone, which would be impossible if the point of the ball was on the inside edge of the pylon.

The stills indicate the forward tip was to the right of the pylon...granted not by much. Would like to see a shot from directly behind.

Bottom line is that there was nothing to overturn a call on the field either way. Penix uncharacteristically struggled all game but put the team on his back the last 90 seconds plus OT. Kid is special.

IU was fortunate that the COTF was 2 pts. and that PS had previously brainfarted on the scoring play.

IU has lost many,,,many games on controversial flat out horrific calls so I will take this one for sure. PS will be fine.

That’s the problem... Even if the ball had only hit the pylon and never touched the ground he should have been down short. Pylon is out of bounds.

Not really, it's more than possible for the ball to cross the plane of the end zone before hitting the pylon. The pylon really should be placed in bounds. Then there would be no question of this pylon vs plane controversy.

Not really, it's more than possible for the ball to cross the plane of the end zone before hitting the pylon. The pylon really should be placed in bounds. Then there would be no question of this pylon vs plane controversy.

It is possible but not in this scenario. If the nose crosses in bounds the first part of the pylon the ball would end up touching is the corner.

Not true. The ball and player were moving oob and that is why their kids a little movement that direction but you can see it really moved back.

The stills indicate the forward tip was to the right of the pylon...granted not by much. Would like to see a shot from directly behind.

Bottom line is that there was nothing to overturn a call on the field either way. Penix uncharacteristically struggled all game but put the team on his back the last 90 seconds plus OT. Kid is special.

IU was fortunate that the COTF was 2 pts. and that PS had previously brainfarted on the scoring play.

IU has lost many,,,many games on controversial flat out horrific calls so I will take this one for sure. PS will be fine.

How many of those horrific calls have cost IU division/conference/national championship opportunities in the last 20 years?

Never responded to the question about the facemask call on Indiana's last drive.

bullshit

Not true. The ball and player were moving oob and that is why their kids a little movement that direction but you can see it really moved back.

Here it is again. The pylon spins a little and the top of it ends up in the end zone with the bulk of it on the sideline. I.e. it ended up slightly to the right of where it started which couldn't happen if the ball hit the inside surface of the pylon, it could've only moved right to left.

Point is moot though, still 0-1.

Here it is again. The pylon spins a little and the top of it ends up in the end zone with the bulk of it on the sideline. I.e. it ended up slightly to the right of where it started which couldn't happen if the ball hit the inside surface of the pylon, it could've only moved right to left.

Point is moot though, still 0-1.

Perhaps I explained it wrong. I think you and I agree. The initial movement of the pylon was strait back meaning the ball had to hit the pylon's front and not side (facing into the end zone). Since it is clear the ball was over the OOB marker, it is not a successful conversion. Having said that, I understand that the refs nutsack's grew smaller than a blueberry and they could not bring themselves to overturn the call on the field.

Regardless, PSU football has nobody to blame but themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT