ADVERTISEMENT

*** Official Anthony Cassar Appreciation Thread***

I'm of the mindset that a 220 LB weight class is a clear omission from competition based on the physical development of athletes in 2018 versus 1928. Athletes and for that matter human beings in general are simply larger than they were nearly 100 years ago. On average how many 125-133 LB athletes are walking around on a daily basis compared to 200 LB+?

It seems like an entire group of athletes are being left out of competition. Weight management will always be a factor in wrestling, but there are a large number of talented kids that are starving themselves to compete at 197 because 285 is simply unrealistic. You think a kid like Kolin Moore doesn't wish a 220 LB Class existed? JMO but I think in the next 5 years they should give considerable thought to consolidating some of the lower weights and adding a 220 Class. Maybe something as simple as combining 125 & 133 into a 130 LB Class?
The weight prior to unlimited (hwt) has from 1928 to now increased in size from 175 to 197.
The question is not how many 125# people are walking around compared to 200#+ people, but how many 125# HS wrestlers versus 220# HS wrestlers.

Generally speaking, if you look at an early season open tournament the number of participants at 197 and Hwt is noticeably smaller than those at the 2 lighter weights 125 and 133.

So your proposal is to take 2 weight classes that currently have larger number of participants combine them into 1 weight class so we can add a 3rd weight class where we currently have our least number of participants?

if you look at an early season open tournament the number of participants at 197 and Hwt is noticeably smaller than those at the 2 lighter weights 125 and 133.
I think they should leave it the way it is, can’t forget about the impact football has, on the participation, at the upper weights.

Reactions: nitlion6
The NCAA could not care less about international considerations or any of our opinions. Adding an extra weight adds costs for the NCAAs without any increase in revenues which means there is ZERO chance a weight gets added by the NCAA. We can talk about how much makes it sense forever but that won't change the situation.
I value your opinion. I believe Cael has a broader vision........and will continue to use his PSU platform to be a change agent for the sport......beyond the NCAA.

It only takes one guy. Our guy.

I think they (Rutgers' coaches) are capable of recruiting kids with skills, the simply do not develop anybody.

Wow, you guys are arrogant. For now you are the best program in the country with exceptional coaches and a blue chip wrestler at most every weight class. Kudos! With that said that doesnt excuse ignorant posts about other programs. I posted this on the RU site in response to a PSU fans post there so I guess it’s ok for me to post on your site. Tit for tat.

Okay. Let's not parse. The takedown battle was 38-13, basically a 3-1 ratio. That's called being dominated. I'm not really disputing it was the best Rutgers wrestled all year. It may be. But when the takedown battle is lost that decisively and 9 of the 13 takedowns come from one wrestler (who happened to transfer from your opponent); the other 9 that Rutgers recruited and developed get beat by 38-4 and it's considered your "best" ....

38-4, mind you - you are not really being competitive as a team. You can spin it anyway you want.

Totally faulty logic on so many levels. 16 of those 38 takedowns came at 197 and 285 where PSU wrestlers wrestled RU back ups. Your 3x state champ heavyweight dominated our 0 time state champ wrestler. Wow, good job. So 38-16 is 22. 7 More weights to go because we have to throw out 125, of course. 133, our 2x state champ beats your 2x state champ. You have only had him for a year so I guess it’s not enough time for the PSU development magic to kick in yet. At 141, your #5 ranked in th nation Freshman recruit, who has been in the PSU room for a year, beats our 0 time state champ, back up to an injured Ashnault and a sophomore, 5-2. Which wrestler has been developed better here? At 149 all world Zain does what he does. He’s awesome and I totally believe the PSU room has been a huge factor in his development from stud to Hodge favorite. 157, pre injury it’s 5-4 against our ranked 0 time state champ who qualified for NCAA’s last year against multiple x state champ, Nolf. Nolf was destined to be a stud. RU has developed Van Brill. At 165 lbs, a 2x PA State champ wins 5-4 against a 0 time state champ. At 174, 6x State Champ and #1 recruit in the nation in 2016 techs a guy 53 places lower in the recruiting rankings. I’m going to remove that one because it is impossible to assess development because of the ranking difference. He had 10 takedowns so 22-10 is 12. Last match. At 184, #7 ranked recruit in the nation and a 3x state champ beats 0 time state champ for RU, 6-5. Takedown battle here, 2-1 PSU. So, based on this information, which team has better developed their recruits? Just like you I have deliberately chosen which stats I want to highlight and downplay. But, bottom line, PSU has done a lot with a lot. RU has done quite a bit with considerably less.

Wow, you guys are arrogant. For now you are the best program in the country with exceptional coaches and a blue chip wrestler at most every weight class. Kudos! With that said that doesnt excuse ignorant posts about other programs. I posted this on the RU site in response to a PSU fans post there so I guess it’s ok for me to post on your site. Tit for tat.
"For now."

Yeah, we're the arrogant ones.

Somebody miss out on the trophy presentation this weekend?

#top10
#NJstrong

I’m just saying that while I respect PSU’s program tremendously and that you are clearly the better team and program, the self righteous BS is tedious.

"For now."

Yeah, we're the arrogant ones.

Yes. Let’s see what happens when Cael leaves. He is a once in a generation wrestling talent/coach/recruiter. If you don’t think the program will dip when he is done, you are deluding yourselves. Gable did it before you at Iowa and for longer. Look where Iowa is now. A really good program but not at PSU’s level. Not meant to be a slight at all. Enjoy it while you have him.

Yes. Let’s see what happens when Cael leaves. He is a once in a generation wrestling talent/coach/recruiter. If you don’t think the program will dip when he is done, you are deluding yourselves. Gable did it before you at Iowa and for longer. Look where Iowa is now. A really good program but not at PSU’s level. Not meant to be a slight at all. Enjoy it while you have him.
Cael is not yet 40 and appears to be in no hurry to leave. We'll take our chances.

Reactions: dbldoofus

Cael will never be done . . . LOL

Cael is not yet 40 and appears to be in no hurry to leave. We'll take our chances.

Yeah, maybe. Let’s see if USA Wrestling throws enough cash at him at some point or he just wants a different challenge.

Yeah, maybe. Let’s see if USA Wrestling throws enough cash at him at some point or he just wants a different challenge.
Like we hadn't heard that argument from the Iowa fans when Cael got his latest extension.

How much does USA Wrestling have to throw around? It would have to be a lot.

How much does USA Wrestling have to throw around? It would have to be a lot.

No clue. And I don’t see any good reason for Cael to leave. But, wrestling supporter Billionaire Mike Novogratz has plenty of money to throw around. And, there will be a lot of talented wrestlers entering the coaching pool. David Taylor, Kyle Dale, Steiber, Kyle Snyder at some point. Casey Cunningham will get a HC job. Competition for talent will increase. It’s just the natural order of things.

Honest answer: that looks and smells like a trap question, and I'm not engaging in further hijacking the Cassar thread with this.

Wasn’t meant to be but I understand your point. Good luck in the BIG and NCAA’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT