ADVERTISEMENT

~off topic: how to maintain energy during long youth tournament?

Dogwelder

Aug 1, 2013
Hi Everyone, sorry if this is off topic. My son would like some advice. My question is:

How do the good youth wrestlers maintain energy between rounds at a long tournament, these days?

My real question is about debate tournaments. My son is going to debate tournaments (middle school) much more than wrestling tournaments these days. It is grueling. Day 1 of a tournament (5 ~hour-long debates over 8 hours), he debates well. Day 2 of the tournament, he debates well for only the first one or two debates. Thereafter, he is like a punch-drunk boxer. He makes rookie mistakes. He repeats one minor argument 6 times and barely mentions the other 5 arguments. I hypothesize that his constantly playing iPad video games between rounds with the other kids is frying his brain unnecessarily. Am I wrong about video games' frying brains?

(When I was wrestling, I was older in high school, and also we did not have iPads.)

The only things I've thought of, besides avoiding iPad games, are the usual: sleep well the nights before and eat carbs (not meat/fat) and, between rounds, snack on bananas and the like and avoid sugar. Should he consider or try other techniques?

Hi Everyone, sorry if this is off topic. My son would like some advice. My question is:

How do the good youth wrestlers maintain energy between rounds at a long tournament, these days?

My real question is about debate tournaments. My son is going to debate tournaments (middle school) much more than wrestling tournaments these days. It is grueling. Day 1 of a tournament (5 ~hour-long debates over 8 hours), he debates well. Day 2 of the tournament, he debates well for only the first one or two debates. Thereafter, he is like a punch-drunk boxer. He makes rookie mistakes. He repeats one minor argument 6 times and barely mentions the other 5 arguments. I hypothesize that his constantly playing iPad video games between rounds with the other kids is frying his brain unnecessarily. Am I wrong about video games' frying brains?

(When I was wrestling, I was older in high school, and also we did not have iPads.)

The only things I've thought of, besides avoiding iPad games, are the usual: sleep well the nights before and eat carbs (not meat/fat) and, between rounds, snack on bananas and the like and avoid sugar. Should he consider or try other techniques?
I am uncertain how silly this may sound, but improve his cardio.

Stressful mental situations will wear a person out. Better conditioning allows the mind to maintain sharper focus for longer periods of time.

Carbohydrates turn into sugar in your body, so depending upon what "and the like" means, you may be loading him up with sugar, causing his blood sugar to roller coaster. Balance the sugar effect out with some protein and fat.

Reactions: Dogwelder

I am a meditation teacher and can give you a couple of tips.
A) concentration rests the brain and should help. Have him sit or recline and concentrate on a sense. With kids it good to listen to sounds from the outside, birds etc. he can also hold his attention on the place in his body where he feels the beginning of the inhale. His body should carefully balance effort and ease and in meditation concentration is described as "resting your attention in the felt experience of x.) start with 5 minutes and work up in two minute increments. My eleven year old son can meditate like this for 30 minutes no problem. Everything is easy when you are young.
B) video games are pretty much the opposite of concentration in terms of resting and preparing the brain. Definitely unplug. Definitely get outside if you can walk play catch do something physical and paradoxically try napping. i teach this stuff full time and would love to help just let me know if you have any questions.

A) concentration rests the brain and should help. Have him sit or recline and concentrate on a sense. With kids it good to listen to sounds from the outside, birds etc. he can also hold his attention on the place in his body where he feels the beginning of the inhale. His body should carefully balance effort and ease and in meditation concentration is described as "resting your attention in the felt experience of x.) start with 5 minutes and work up in two minute increments. My eleven year old son can meditate like this for 30 minutes no problem. Everything is easy when you are young.
B) video games are pretty much the opposite of concentration in terms of resting and preparing the brain. Definitely unplug. Definitely get outside if you can walk play catch do something physical and paradoxically try napping. i teach this stuff full time and would love to help just let me know if you have any questions.

When I was competing in tournaments, I would try to find quiet places to relax my mind and body. So I'm in total agreement with the above. Definitely put the electronic distractions away.

Video games are the worst thing he could do, short of jumping into an alligator cage or snake pit. Requires making dozens or hundreds of unnecessary decisions, likely in rapid fire (depending on duration and exact game).

Successful people work to minimize the number of decisions they make, precisely to preserve brain power for the important stuff.

Even Harbaugh -- that's why he owns many pairs of the same pants -- one less decision to make each day. Frees his mind to plan sleepovers.

And then there's eye strain and headaches caused by staring at screens and by lighting contrasts.

BTW, the pace of those events seems excessive. Five cycles of one hour on, 30 min off. No wonder he drops off in Day 2. Probably can't restructure the event, so I'd look for ways to make that one hour on period less strenuous if possible ... Does he have to be on for the full hour? Are there teammates who can split up the effort? Etc.

Video games are the worst thing he could do, short of jumping into an alligator cage or snake pit. Requires making dozens or hundreds of unnecessary decisions, likely in rapid fire (depending on duration and exact game).

Successful people work to minimize the number of decisions they make, precisely to preserve brain power for the important stuff.

Even Harbaugh -- that's why he owns many pairs of the same pants -- one less decision to make each day. Frees his mind to plan sleepovers.

And then there's eye strain and headaches caused by staring at screens and by lighting contrasts.

BTW, the pace of those events seems excessive. Five cycles of one hour on, 30 min off. No wonder he drops off in Day 2. Probably can't restructure the event, so I'd look for ways to make that one hour on period less strenuous if possible ... Does he have to be on for the full hour? Are there teammates who can split up the effort? Etc.

I take Harbaugh a step further and only own one pair of pants and one shirt. By the end of the week, I'm able to concentrate on my meditation very easily, because the room I walk into normally clears out rapidly.

I take Harbaugh a step further and only own one pair of pants and one shirt. By the end of the week, I'm able to concentrate on my meditation very easily, because the room I walk into normally clears out rapidly.
Especially on laundry day ... must get some funny looks in public while your only clothes are in the wash.

That's it right there. The body can only pump adrenaline for a short time. I remember hearing the number being 2 hours in school many years ago. Meditation, (true)relaxation, cat naps, and a lowering of the perceived threat (in one's mind), and in this case since there is no physical outlet, light exercise (just walking a mile) all help tremendously here.

My kid is 12 and does the all day field hockey thing all over the the east coast. The night before she eats a pasta dish and drinks water. Tourney day, she eats very little, a bag a beef jerky and lots of water. She does not hang out with the kids playing on the iphones, she watches the other games. I leave her alone except to ask her if she wants anything. I am trying to let her be her. Just to let you know, she is a goalie, so she is weird. Last weekend she gave up 1 goal in 4 games 17 saves, so it seems to be working for her. Best of luck!

Hi Everyone, I very very much appreciate your help in this thread.

I had my son read the thread, and you've taught him and me great information about diet and rest. He believes you guys because I told him you guys are top coaches and athletes, and also because he sees that you guys have terminology based on logic. (In contrast, I just had a vague intuition and no confidence in it.) I'm gonna keyword your great stuff here for quick future triggering of memories: cardio, protein, [edit: +fat], sugarcoaster, concentrate on a sense, sound, meditate, exercise, play catch, quiet place, unplug, cat nap, number of decisions, lighting contrasts, perceived threat. (Also: body odor. ;) )
Edit: also, don't hang out with iPhone kids. That's a good one!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, I very very much appreciate your help in this thread.

I had my son read the thread, and you've taught him and me great information about diet and rest. He believes you guys because I told him you guys are top coaches and athletes, and also because he sees that you guys have terminology based on logic. (In contrast, I just had a vague intuition and no confidence in it.) I'm gonna keyword your great stuff here for quick future triggering of memories: cardio, protein, sugarcoaster, concentrate on a sense, sound, meditate, exercise, play catch, quiet place, unplug, cat nap, number of decisions, lighting contrasts, perceived threat. (Also: body odor. ;) )
Edit: also, don't hang out with iPhone kids. That's a good one!

Iphone kids are some of her best players. it just does not work for my kid. She is there to do her thing, which is stopping the ball from getting in the goal. All kids are different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT