ADVERTISEMENT

November 14

Iowa will host Ok St at Kinnick Stadium.
That would be fun to attend. Two things:
1. Weather: I've been to Kinnick Stadium in October and it was cold. Wrestling outside (I assume they are not adding a bubble to Kinnick) will certainly be interesting
2. We should be wrestling Iowa OOC at PSU this year. Reading between the line, it looks like CS tried to make it happen, but guessing that TB didn't want to reciprocate the prior OOC match in IC

Word is Iowa and Minny are working on a non-conference dual.

I'd love to see PSU vs. Iowa, but also can understand if Brands doesn't want multiple non-conference B10 opponents. I'll blame Delany.

Reactions: andegre
Word is Iowa and Minny are working on a non-conference dual.

I'd love to see PSU vs. Iowa, but also can understand if Brands doesn't want multiple non-conference B10 opponents. I'll blame Delany.

We owe you visit from two years ago...I'd rather it be PSU.

Perhaps Iowa is seeking to reclaim the record for the largest crowd to attend a college wrestling match.

So how does attendance match up between Iowa and PSU?
Not certain if you are trolling or not. Article below. Iowa leads year in/out on overall and average attendance. PSU has the #1 and #2 overall single session attendance (15,967 last year). Certainly this will get destroyed if the match is held in Kinnick on November 14, unless the weather turns to crap. It certainly would be a fun match to watch.

http://btn.com/2015/03/16/iowa-wrestling-leads-nation-in-attendance-for-ninth-straight-season/

Not certain if you are trolling or not. Article below. Iowa leads year in/out on overall and average attendance. PSU has the #1 and #2 overall single session attendance (15,967 last year). Certainly this will get destroyed if the match is held in Kinnick on November 14, unless the weather turns to crap. It certainly would be a fun match to watch.

http://btn.com/2015/03/16/iowa-wrestling-leads-nation-in-attendance-for-ninth-straight-season/
Not trolling at all serious wrestling fan.

Reactions: CentexLion
Do you think penn State will answer with an even bigger attendance in Happy Valley next year? This battle could go back and forth! Ultimately PSU would win on seating capacity.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Do you think penn State will answer with an even bigger attendance in Happy Valley next year? This battle could go back and forth! Ultimately PSU would win on seating capacity.
An annual attendance battle between a midwest powerhouse and newly established east cost powerhouse would probably be pretty great for growing the sport of wrestling!

Next year? Why not do it this year and take a bit of the air out of the Kinnick match. How about the week before?

My guess is that it's unlikely in the near future. Penn State has historically been unwilling to even consider non-football events at Beaver Stadium -- to protect the grass field. (IIRC, Kinnick Stadium is turf, right?)

With a new football coach, new AD, and new university president, maybe they'd consider it. But PSU is typically risk averse and slow to change.

I'm also not sure if Cael would embrace it. Spectacle-wise, absolutely. He might object to the injury risk of cold and/or wet weather (State College averages 185+ days of precipitation per year).

And then there's the matter of finding an opponent willing to wrestle in those conditions and also willing to cancel or reschedule on short notice for bad weather (last-minute move to Rec Hall would likely flop -- tickets would be a mess).

Last edited:
My guess is that it's unlikely in the near future. Penn State has historically been unwilling to even consider non-football events at Beaver Stadium -- to protect the grass field. (IIRC, Kinnick Stadium is turf, right?)

With a new football coach, new AD, and new university president, maybe they'd consider it. But PSU is typically risk averse and slow to change.

I'm also not sure if Cael would embrace it. Spectacle-wise, absolutely. He might object to the injury risk of cold and/or wet weather (State College averages 185+ days of precipitation per year).

And then there's the matter of finding an opponent willing to wrestle in those conditions and also willing to cancel or reschedule on short notice for bad weather (last-minute move to Rec Hall would likely flop -- tickets would be a mess).

^^ This. I'm interested in seeing how the match at Kinnick is handled. Iowa City weather in November, on average is comparable to State College temperature-wise (both average 50 degrees for November), but the average precipitation is lower in Iowa (2.5 inches vs 3.4 inches in central PA). Seems risky, we'll see.

Definitely a roll of the dice weather wise. I suspect the official attendance record will fall by several thousand but I don't think the actually attendance will be all that much more then a Carver sell out. Too many casual fans enjoy drinking and watching football during the day and faced with a cold, windy November day may decide to stay inside, especially if they plan on going to the football game later that night.

ADVERTISEMENT