ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame beats it's chest.

Their collective ego is so big they would never allow themselves to be outside the top level of college football regardless of what they say in public.

I agree 100% about the kids being students first. After all, it's COLLEGE football. But I think all schools would have a difficult time walking away from the money.

On a side note: Can we trade BOTs with ND? Remember their cheating scandal last year? One public statement and we never heard another word. Our BOT would have self imposed sanctions.

I think having a football factory division and a scholar/athlete division would be a good thing. Even if they don't have separate divisions, why wouldn't Duke, ND, Northwestern, Rice, Vandy, Stanford, Army, Navy and other superior academic schools combine to form a national conference that had higher academic standards and expectations.

I find the article more biased by a reporter who has the SEC attitude- no one cares about grades or class and if they say they do they are liars. I'm not defending ND but the writer made it pretty clear that it's all about the money and only a dozen or so schools just pretend about academics. It's the 'but mom- everyone does it' approach by the writer who appears to be trying to push the NCAA into a minor league system.

Last edited:
I think having a football factory division and a scholar/athlete division would be a good thing. Even if they don't have separate divisions, why wouldn't Duke, ND, Northwestern, Rice, Vandy, Stanford, Army, Navy and other superior academic schools combine to form a national conference that had higher academic standards and expectations.

Which division would you put Penn State?

Which division would you put Penn State?

Penn State would absolutely be in the student athlete division.... I don't know whether they would be in the national academic conference, but then again who else would be? UVA, Cal?

I don't like ND, but I give them credit for the stance if they could hold to it. I think paying the players will eventually destroy the perceived purity of college athletics. I don't watch the NFL now because of the money grabbers. College WILL go the same route over time. At that point, I'll be out. And don't forget, we will be footing that bill as the ticket prices climb into the stratosphere. I can watch it at home if I NEED to see it that bad.

Penn State would absolutely be in the student athlete division.... I don't know whether they would be in the national academic conference, but then again who else would be? UVA, Cal?
Rutgers. Nothing but Rhodes Scholars at that place.:)

I like the idea, but a yearly diet of watching us play Duke, Rice, Vandy, Army and Navy might require a serious downsizing of the stadium.

I like the idea, but a yearly diet of watching us play Duke, Rice, Vandy, Army and Navy might require a serious downsizing of the stadium.

I wasn't putting PSU in the elite academic conference. I would put them in the scholar athlete division, if you divided Div 1 into two groups.

ADVERTISEMENT