ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate your favorite Fantasy movies

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
I refer to the genre, not movies that lead you to fantasize or have characters about whom you have fantasies. Plenty of animation to consider too. Obviously, I lean towards the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Loved the books in junior high and love the movies as an adult. Thought that Peter Jackson did a pretty darn good job. I have a few criticisms, but ... I'm staying positive these days. Watched half of these because our daughter wanted to. It was fun.

Mine are:

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau)
2. Russian Ark (Sokurov)
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Two Towers
5. Return of the King
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
8. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
9. Fantasia
10. Mary Poppins

Have to add one more - Excalibur. The tension between Morgana (Helen Mirren) and Merlin (Nicol Williamson) is a highlight. They also detested one another on the set.

morgana-merlin1.jpg

One more - The Princess Bride - great entertainment.

Last edited:
I refer to the genre, not movies that lead you to fantasize or have characters about whom you have fantasies. Plenty of animation to consider too. Obviously, I lean towards the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Loved the books in junior high and love the movies as an adult. Thought that Peter Jackson did a pretty darn good job. I have a few criticisms, but ... I'm staying positive these days.

Mine are:

2. Russian Ark (Sokurov)
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Two Towers
5. Return of the King
9. Fantasia
10. Mary Poppins
Define fantasy.
Most Hollywood productions are pure fantasy.

Reactions: mn78psu83
If you like Fantasia, try Bruno Bozzetto's "Allegro Non Troppo". It is like Fantasia done by somebody on acid,

One of the corniest movies I have ever seen. Not my favorite, but I have to watch it because it's such a disaster.
Legend, with Tom Cruise, 1986. Also the debut movie for Mia Sara who went on to her next movie, Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Thought she was going to burst onto the scene after that, but nothing huge. Lots of smaller movies and TV stuff.

Holy crap, this category is way too broad.... but I'll take a stab at it:

- Harry Potter franchise - I've watched the entire series with my kids countless times. I'm sure it wouldn't rank as high without the whole family being involved. Special place in my movie pantheon for that reason alone.
- Star Wars (1977)
- Wizard of Oz
- The Matrix
- King Arthur (clive owen, keira knightley)
- The Terminator
- Highlander
- Game of Thrones series - not a movie but some bad ass fantasy storytelling.

... So many to choose from, circuit overload...

I refer to the genre, not movies that lead you to fantasize or have characters about whom you have fantasies. Plenty of animation to consider too. Obviously, I lean towards the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Loved the books in junior high and love the movies as an adult. Thought that Peter Jackson did a pretty darn good job. I have a few criticisms, but ... I'm staying positive these days. Watched half of these because our daughter wanted to. It was fun.

Mine are:

2. Russian Ark (Sokurov)
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Two Towers
5. Return of the King
9. Fantasia
10. Mary Poppins

Have to add one more - Excalibur. The tension between Morgana (Helen Mirren) and Merlin (Nicol Williamson) is a highlight. They also detested one another on the set.

morgana-merlin1.jpg

One more - The Princess Bride - great entertainment.

Oh, the nostalgia! You're killing me with this stuff!! So many good memories...here goes:

The Neverending Story

10-fun-facts-about-the-neverending-story

Labyrinth

Labyrinth_ver2.jpg

The Dark Crystal

600full-the-dark-crystal-poster.jpg

Clash of the Titans

clash-of-the-titans-aug81.jpg

The Last Starfighter

14269_1.jpg

The Lost Boys

TheLostBoys.jpg

Holy crap, this category is way too broad.... but I'll take a stab at it:

- Harry Potter franchise - I've watched the entire series with my kids countless times. I'm sure it wouldn't rank as high without the whole family being involved. Special place in my movie pantheon for that reason alone.
- Star Wars (1977)
- Wizard of Oz
- The Matrix
- King Arthur (clive owen, keira knightley)
- The Terminator
- Highlander
- Game of Thrones series - not a movie but some bad ass fantasy storytelling.

... So many to choose from, circuit overload...
I agree it is too broad, but what the heck. Just have fun with it. Also, thumbs up for the original Highlander movie. I watched it at least ten times. "It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

Oh, the nostalgia! You're killing me with this stuff!! So many good memories...here goes:

The Neverending Story

10-fun-facts-about-the-neverending-story

Labyrinth

Labyrinth_ver2.jpg

The Dark Crystal

600full-the-dark-crystal-poster.jpg

Clash of the Titans

clash-of-the-titans-aug81.jpg

The Last Starfighter

14269_1.jpg

The Lost Boys

TheLostBoys.jpg
How did I leave the original Clash of the Titans off my list? Nice job Midnighter!

How did I leave the original Clash of the Titans off my list? Nice job Midnighter!

A few others....

Time Bandits

TimeBandits_quad_UK_Gilliam-1.jpg

Krull

krull.13378.jpg

Heavy Metal

Heavy-Metal-Movie-Poster-1981-1996.jpg

Beast Master

images

Flash Gordon

flash-gordon.19324.jpg

Frank Frazetta's Fire and Ice (Animated)

Fire_and_Ice_1983_poster.png

Frank Miller was supposed to do a live action version of Fire and Ice, but I'm not sure if/when that will ever happen. Still, I love the tone of this kind of fantasy and Frank Frazetta is one of my all time favorite illustrators.

A few others....

Time Bandits

TimeBandits_quad_UK_Gilliam-1.jpg

Krull

krull.13378.jpg

Heavy Metal

Heavy-Metal-Movie-Poster-1981-1996.jpg

Beast Master

images

Flash Gordon

Frank Miller was supposed to do a live action version of Fire and Ice, but I'm not sure if/when that will ever happen. Still, I love the tone of this kind of fantasy and Frank Frazetta is one of my all time favorite illustrators.
A few others....

Time Bandits

Krull

Heavy Metal

Beast Master

Flash Gordon

Have you been to the Frazetta Museum in East Stroudsburg? I remember him for his Conan illustrations and several Molly Hatchet album covers. He also inspired a helluva lot of 70s van art.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Have you been to the Frazetta Museum in East Stroudsburg? I remember him for his Conan illustrations and several Molly Hatchet album covers. He also inspired a helluva lot of 70s van art.

I haven't, but it's on my list (as is Edward Gorey's home/museum). Funny you mention Conan; I was going to put that on my list too (especially The Destroyer, with Olivia d'Abo!) but wanted to highlight the lesser known, but just as enjoyable, ones I loved as a kid.

I'll also add that event though it's a Marvel movie, Guardians of the Galaxy reminds me a hell of a lot of Flash Gordon and the other great fantasy movies of the 80's. Hope they let James Gunn keep them in space, to themselves, where there are infinite stories to tell.

No flags....

311252_large.jpg

The LOTR trilogy movies, particularly Return of the King, are an abomination unto nature itself. To quote from THE BOOKS "there is no curse in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men bad enough for such treachery". JRR is spinning in his grave so fast harnessing the energy could power a small city.

Last edited:
The LOTR trilogy movies, particularly Return of the King, are an abomination unto nature itself. To quote from THE BOOKS "there is no curse bad enough in Elvish, Entish or the tongues of men bad enough for such treachery". JRR is spinning in his grave so fast harnessing the energy could power a small city.

That's funny. Bravo! Wonderful Tolkien geekmanship!

Last edited:
I think animated films deserve there own category, so I'm passing on listing any of them. Fantasy is a tough category as often the movies here have overlapping categories.
For me, hands down, The Wizard of Oz 1939 is at the top of the list, and The Princess Bride 1987 is right there at #2.
Others I'd list (that haven't already been included):
Beetlejuice 1988
Edward Scissorhands 1990
Alice In Wonderland 2010 (because I love Helena Bonham Carter's red Queen)

I think animated films deserve there own category, so I'm passing on listing any of them. Fantasy is a tough category as often the movies here have overlapping categories.
For me, hands down, The Wizard of Oz 1939 is at the top of the list, and The Princess Bride 1987 is right there at #2.
Others I'd list (that haven't already been included):
Beetlejuice 1988
Edward Scissorhands 1990
Alice In Wonderland 2010 (because I love Helena Bonham Carter's red Queen)
I enjoyed all that you listed. Within the last year we rewatched Edward Scissorhands. Dark, campy and satirical with good acting all around.

Empire Strikes Back is the best of the Star Wars films, so I'll list it. Loved that someone posted Field of Dreams. But my favorite...and I don't know if it fits into this category...is Raiders of the Lost Arc (perhaps action/adventure?).

Yeah. ..big time Tolkien geek. I didn't expect the movies to follow the books exactly, but they really screwed up the absolute best parts of the books.
My wife had serious problems with the second and third movies. She is a big Tolkien fan too and has read the Simarillion all the way through twice. I have mellowed over the years as far as the relationship between the original literature and film go. I try to let them stand on their own. They are distinct. Nevertheless, the one that really annoys me is Jackson's vision for the Hobbit. I don't even know where to start, so I won't. I also do have one real pet peeve with the Return of the King - the way Aragorn and the Houses of the Healing was handled. For crying out loud, it is analogous to glossing over Arthur's legitimacy and Excalibur, notwithstanding variations of the Arthurian Legend. There are other things that bothered me with the LOTR trilogoy, but not enough to ruin my overall enjoyment. The Hobbit - will never watch any of those again.

ADVERTISEMENT