ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

bdgan

May 29, 2008
QB: Hack or McSorely (unless we can pull off a Rudock)
RB: Barkley + several youngsters
OL: Dowrey, Palmer, Gaia, Laurent, Mahon, Nelson + depth from younger kids
TE: Wilkerson & Gesecki (Not much depth; is Brenneman done?)
WR: Hamilton, Godwin, Blacknall, Lewis + 3 or 4 other 4* youngsters

Virtually everybody is back on offense. It all depends on QB and kids like Sorrell & Wright stepping up on the OL.

DT: Cothren & White. Windsor is still young. All mid level recruits.
DE: Sickels & Brown s/b good. Schwan? Several youngsters.
LB: Wartman, Cabinda, Bell, Reeder, Bowen, Cooper
DB: Haley, Reid, Campbell, Allen, Taylor. Apke, Farmer

LB should be much improved if Wartman returns healthy. DT could be a big problem.

K: Davis has been good on short FGs. Not sure what to say about Julius. Forget the missed XPs, he hasn't shown a strong leg. Will Nordin stay?

P: Will Gilikin win the spot by default or will he need a year to develop?

Most other ST players return.

Kickoffs can't get worse so hopefully we keep Nordin and he has a strong leg. The special teams are absolutely loaded with young speedsters but somebody better teach the Kickoff team to tackle and for the kick return team to block.

Schedule:

OOC: Kent State and Temple should be easy wins next year. Pitt could go either way.

B1G: Michigan is away but this should be a winnable game. Rudock is gone and they probably lose more players to graduation than any other B1G opponent. Maryland, @ Purdue, @ Indy, and @ Rutgers have to be wins. We probably still don't have the players to beat OSU but it will be out whiteout game at home. Michigan State loses Cook but they have good backups and will be favored along with OSU to win the conference. Minnesota and Iowa both return a lot of players and will be tough.

Kent, TEM, MD, PUR, INDY, & RUT have to be wins.
OSU & MSU are probably losses but we get those teams at home. Maybe we pull an upset.
The pivotal games are PITT, MICH, IA, and MINN

Splitting the pivotal games could mean an 8-4 record which to be honest wouldn't be very good for a PSU team largely past the sanctions and returning so many starters. This really needs to be at least a 9 win team. We'll know a lot early next year after playing Pitt and Michigan.

OL will be an interesting situation. I don't think the incumbents will get much better. If the RS frosh were an answer, they would have gotten more PT during this season. Hope is that a number of the (current) true frosh either take over starting roles or get meaningful PT. That won't be without its problems but it will be the beginning of the transition from the present ineptitude.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
OL: Dowrey, Palmer, Gaia, Laurent, Mahon, Nelson + depth

Did you actually just type that? Seriously?

Good Lord, it's been two years now, THEY. ARE. NOT. GOING. TO. GET. BETTER.

NOT NEXT YEAR, NOT EVER.

I'm really hoping that someone on redshirt (Sterling Jenkins?) or one of the true Freshmen come in and start. The guys coming back on OL aren't going to get drastically better in the off season. Maybe Palmer could be the exception, with another year of lifting. I think our O line needs a paradigm shift of improvement and I'm not confident that it will happen in 2016. Maybe 2017.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
OL will be an interesting situation. I don't think the incumbents will get much better. If the RS frosh were an answer, they would have gotten more PT during this season. Hope is that a number of the (current) true frosh either take over starting roles or get meaningful PT. That won't be without its problems but it will be the beginning of the transition from the present ineptitude.

This is the only possible way that we can get out of it. If this staff goes in any other direction than the one you just illustrated, it will be let go at the end of year five.

I'm really hoping that someone on redshirt (Sterling Jenkins?) or one of the true Freshmen come in and start. The guys coming back on OL aren't going to get drastically better in the off season. Maybe Palmer could be the exception, with another year of lifting. I think our O line needs a paradigm shift of improvement and I'm not confident that it will happen in 2016. Maybe 2017.
It cannot happen in 2017, unless you make wholesale changes in 2016. Palmer, as you said, is the lone exception. Every other job needs a personnel change.

The existing OL shouldn't get much worse but I'm afraid you're correct that they won't get a lot better. One of them might move to DT. I wouldn't count on the RS freshman for much. At some point kids like Beh, Sorrell, and Wright have to step up. They're getting to the age where they should be able to make an impact. It they can't make a dent in this group next year it might never happen.

With some additional strength, the offensive tackle positions can be good with Palmer and Nelson. Really need some new blood at guard....Bates? Beh? Wouldn't be surprised if Menet plays some as a freshman -- Steph Wisniewski was an important contributor as a true freshman. Ideally, he redshirts, but need the best talent on the field.

I think Steven Gonzalez (OSU, MSU, Wisky offers) and Ryan Bates (Auburn, Miami, OSU offers) are going to make an impact at guard next year. Both have been impressive during their redshirt year.

Reactions: cyrizzle

Virtually everybody is back on offense. It all depends on QB and kids like Sorrell & Wright stepping up on the OL.

LB should be much improved if Wartman returns healthy. DT could be a big problem.

K: Davis has been good on short FGs. Not sure what to say about Julius. Forget the missed XPs, he hasn't shown a strong leg. Will Nordin stay?

Kickoffs can't get worse so hopefully we keep Nordin and he has a strong leg. The special teams are absolutely loaded with young speedsters but somebody better teach the Kickoff team to tackle and for the kick return team to block.

Schedule:

OOC: Kent State and Temple should be easy wins next year. Pitt could go either way.

B1G: Michigan is away but this should be a winnable game. Rudock is gone and they probably lose more players to graduation than any other B1G opponent. Maryland, @ Purdue, @ Indy, and @ Rutgers have to be wins. We probably still don't have the players to beat OSU but it will be out whiteout game at home. Michigan State loses Cook but they have good backups and will be favored along with OSU to win the conference. Minnesota and Iowa both return a lot of players and will be tough.

OSU & MSU are probably losses but we get those teams at home. Maybe we pull an upset.

Splitting the pivotal games could mean an 8-4 record which to be honest wouldn't be very good for a PSU team largely past the sanctions and returning so many starters. This really needs to be at least a 9 win team. We'll know a lot early next year after playing Pitt and Michigan.

Where does Stirling Jenkins fit in? He is supposedly a stud.

I think Steven Gonzalez (OSU, MSU, Wisky offers) and Ryan Bates (Auburn, Miami, OSU offers) are going to make an impact at guard next year. Both have been impressive during their redshirt year.
No start, no impact. This staff does not rotate two groups during games along the offensive line. On rare occasions, one personnel change may be made. Two deep is a good thing, but not an impact. If they are not starting, we are not going to get better.

No start, no impact. This staff does not rotate two groups during games along the offensive line. On rare occasions, one personnel change may be made. Two deep is a good thing, but not an impact. If they are not starting, we are not going to get better.

Well there is a long time until the first game of 2016. They will have to go out and earn it.

Schedule:

You've got that backwards regarding UM. We probably return more than anyone in the conference. We lose a couple of kids on both sides of the ball is all. Plus O'Korn will be a huge upgrade at QB.

OL: Dowrey, Palmer, Gaia, Laurent, Mahon, Nelson + depth

Did you actually just type that? Seriously?

Good Lord, it's been two years now, THEY. ARE. NOT. GOING. TO. GET. BETTER.

NOT NEXT YEAR, NOT EVER.
I agree 21 Guns. With the exception of Nelson (if he can stay healthy) and possibly Palmer, I think next year we see some of the redshirt sophomores and perhaps redshirt freshman pushing for playing time--at least, let's hope so.

You've got that backwards regarding UM. We probably return more than anyone in the conference. We lose a couple of kids on both sides of the ball is all. Plus O'Korn will be a huge upgrade at QB.

Penn State loses Mangiro on offense, and Austin Johnson, Nassib, and Zettel on defense.

I was cool long before the internet.

:D
I agree 21 Guns. With the exception of Nelson (if he can stay healthy) and possibly Palmer, I think next year we see some of the redshirt sophomores and perhaps redshirt freshman pushing for playing time--at least, let's hope so.
Thank god. I had the magnum loaded with hollow points and was ready to pull the trigger, because some guy with 35,000 posts who posts internet pics of pinup girls advised me to.

What about Speith, and the kid from last year with the concussion? I thought they were quality talent?

If they are so good, then why haven't they played? What were we saving them for? Maybe this is relative, as in impressive for a RS, but still not ready for action... Still, Clemson has a true freshman starting OL as do other teams. These may be the exception to the rule, but we need some exceptions for next year because what we have coming back isn't super impressive.

What about Speith, and the kid from last year with the concussion? I thought they were quality talent?
Morris will likely transfer and Speith is a career back up. QB going forward will be OKorn, who is lighting it up in practice, followed by gentry and peters. Possibility of Tysum hill transferring in as well.

If they are so good, then why haven't they played? What were we saving them for? Maybe this is relative, as in impressive for a RS, but still not ready for action... Still, Clemson has a true freshman starting OL as do other teams. These may be the exception to the rule, but we need some exceptions for next year because what we have coming back isn't super impressive.

Because JF would rather have both of them as 5th year seniors when we and they can be really good rather than throwing them out there for half a season when we aren't in a position to win anything.

Regardless of all the fan panic, JF is in this to build something. He isn't going to throw away long term upside to put a band aid on something this year.

Penn State loses Mangiro on offense, and Austin Johnson, Nassib, and Zettel on defense.
I think we lose one or two more than you. FB, C and QB. On D we lose a S and two LBs. fortunately two starting DL will return to good health as well.

I see no reason to believe that RS Fr/So O linemen won't continue to develop and challenge for starting jobs. There are many examples where CJF has shown that he is willing to play the best player without regard to seniority.

i think Michal Menet has a chance to make an impact as a true freshman. I also think Herb Hand should be coaching for his job next season.

I think we lose one or two more than you. FB, C and QB. On D we lose a S and two LBs. fortunately two starting DL will return to good health as well.

"On the DL, everyone but BUCKs Mario Ojemudia and Royce Jenkins-Stone will return. At LB, Michigan loses all 3 (or 2 considering how often we play with 5 DBs) starters in Desmond Morgan, Joe Bolden and James Ross. This is one of the two big questions mark spots on the team next year. The only guy with any experience who returns next year is Ben Gedeon."

Jake Butt and Jourdan Lewis could also decide to go pro.

"On the DL, everyone but BUCKs Mario Ojemudia and Royce Jenkins-Stone will return. At LB, Michigan loses all 3 (or 2 considering how often we play with 5 DBs) starters in Desmond Morgan, Joe Bolden and James Ross. This is one of the two big questions mark spots on the team next year. The only guy with any experience who returns next year is Ben Gedeon."

Ojemudia has been out for the season that last handful of games. They will apply for a 5th year, though it's likely not going to happen. Morgan and bolden are the only starting starting LBs we lose. So, like I said, we lose two LBs and a S. And fwiw, we didn't use a buck lb for nearly the entire game.

Yep, not much there.

Further, along the DL we return wormley, Carlton, hurst, mone, Glasgow and Henry. We will be ridiculously deep. LB is a big concern.

Can't say this staff won't rotate two groups because we currently don't have two groups to rotate. We have one group and a couple spare pieces to plug in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT