ADVERTISEMENT

New NCAA compensation model may cost power conference schools $300mill each

$30 million per year. IMO that could force P5 schools to reduce the number of non revenue sports.
That's right. They would have to account for that $30m in one of two ways: increase revenues or cut costs.

Cutting costs is easy, just drop a ton of non-rev sports. and with titleIX being gutted, that may well end up hurting women more than men.

Increasing revenues would be ticket prices, parking, concessions, TV rights, etc. My guess is that the rebuild of the Beav will be focused on finding ways to make money with the facility. Restaurants, meeting areas, game-day buffets, concerts, camping, etc.

Reactions: bison13 and bdroc
What are the annual revenues for P5 schools? What percentage is this?

Is that $30 mil additional costs or would paying players make scholarships go away?

Would schools be entitled to charging NIL companies fees for the rights? Seems the schools are offering massive programs for companies to get involved and profit from NIL programs so shouldn’t the schools get some cut of the action?

Reactions: step.eng69
That's right. They would have to account for that $30m in one of two ways: increase revenues or cut costs.

Cutting costs is easy, just drop a ton of non-rev sports. and with titleIX being gutted, that may well end up hurting women more than men.

Increasing revenues would be ticket prices, parking, concessions, TV rights, etc. My guess is that the rebuild of the Beav will be focused on finding ways to make money with the facility. Restaurants, meeting areas, game-day buffets, concerts, camping, etc.
Give Beaver Stadium actual banquet facilities with an attached hotel as well to do premium conventions, conferences, weddings, etc. I know the PennStater is down the street but it is aging at this point and not necessarily an upper-level destination. I think there are many revenue opportunities at the stadium. And despite being the middle of nowhere, the region is precisely in the center of the state between Philly and Pittsburgh so there are opportunities. Now if they only completed the last 5 or 10 miles of making 322 a highway the entire way from Harrisburg to State College that would help even more. I was just up a few weeks ago and came in that way instead of I-80. It is embarrassing to have that missing link! That does not happen in other states.

Give Beaver Stadium actual banquet facilities with an attached hotel as well to do premium conventions, conferences, weddings, etc. I know the PennStater is down the street but it is aging at this point and not necessarily an upper-level destination. I think there are many revenue opportunities at the stadium. And despite being the middle of nowhere, the region is precisely in the center of the state between Philly and Pittsburgh so there are opportunities. Now if they only completed the last 5 or 10 miles of making 322 a highway the entire way from Harrisburg to State College that would help even more. I was just up a few weeks ago and came in that way instead of I-80. It is embarrassing to have that missing link! That does not happen in other states.
Agreed. If you were putting together an annual kickoff meeting would you rather have that at Nemacolin, Greenbrier or a meeting room overlooking the PSU field? I would think you can easily get a motivational speaker like CJF or Adam Brennemen (or whatever).

just another reason for schools to increase tuition and cry poor to the state for more money. Sounds great.

Agreed. If you were putting together an annual kickoff meeting would you rather have that at Nemacolin, Greenbrier or a meeting room overlooking the PSU field? I would think you can easily get a motivational speaker like CJF or Adam Brennemen (or whatever).
Speaking of Nemacolin, the wife and I were traveling through that area a few weeks ago and thought about spending the night. Rates were ~$1,150 per night.

just another reason for schools to increase tuition and cry poor to the state for more money. Sounds great.
Pennsylvania is ranked #49 in state appropriation per in-state student. And PSU receives significantly less per in-state student than Pitt, Temple, etc. PSU’s tuition problem is a direct reflection of PA voters not valuing public higher education in the voting booth.

not a problem, students can just take out bigger loans that we can forgive 10 years later......

cutting costs is not the Penn state way. In fact, they could come up with a 10 person staff (all new hires of course) to manage the $30 million.
Now, increase revenues...that's more in line with what has happened in the past.

Pennsylvania is ranked #49 in state appropriation per in-state student. And PSU receives significantly less per in-state student than Pitt, Temple, etc. PSU’s tuition problem is a direct reflection of PA voters not valuing public higher education in the voting booth.
Ha ha. You funny guy.

🤡

The sooner the Power 2 or whatever they are called these days, break away and form an organization outside of the NCAA the better. Let minor league sports sink or swim on its own, rather than piggyback on phony allegiances to not for profits. Let’s stop the hypocrisy.
This "minor league" stuff is just comical. It's still tied to colleges and has been a minor league for decades.

Changes to US322 are a coming.

A disintegrated approach will only lead to different inequities among conferences and universities. This will especially be the case as conferences realign. Good luck seeing anything that will sustain over time for a while.

PA has had a D governor for all but 4 years since 2003 when all of this tuition started going out of control, guess they dont like education as much as they say they do

Looks like UCLA getting hit with $10m per year by CA regents for joining B1G.

This "minor league" stuff is just comical. It's still tied to colleges and has been a minor league for decades.
You’re the George Costanza of the forum. As a service to the board could you start listing who will win upcoming games? We could all make a fortune betting on the opponents.

Agree… heck the entire athletic complex is a blank canvass with so many opportunities to have events of all sizes there including high profile international events broadcast around the world… ever hear of naming rights? Huge opportunity but needs some visionaries to get done. Not sure there are any in the university right now. They are simply completely consumed with $$$ for football.

PA has had a D governor for all but 4 years since 2003 when all of this tuition started going out of control, guess they dont like education as much as they say they do
And in the 4 years Corbett was Gov he cut Penn States appropriation 24%. That cut, compounded over time, is a major contributor to our current situation.

Dem governors have proposed increases every year, but they get stonewalled by the R House majority.

You’re the George Costanza of the forum. As a service to the board could you start listing who will win upcoming games? We could all make a fortune betting on the opponents.
Lol I'm one of the few here that actually follow the sport nationally not just being a Homer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT