ADVERTISEMENT

New Musician Poll - Best Keyboardist.......

Vote for your favorite keyboardist - write-ins welcome

• Keith Emerson - Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Jon Lord - Deep Purple

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Rick Wakeman - Yes

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Ray Manzarek - The Doors

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Richard Wright - Pink Floyd

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Freddy Mercury - Queen

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin

• Steve Winwood - Traffic

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Dickey Sims - Keyboardist for Eric Clapton and soloist

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Tony Banks - Genesis

• Total voters

CF LION

May 29, 2001
This weekend I cued up some Billy Preston to shake the walls and it got me thinking about other great keyboardists - often the most overlooked guy in the band. I didn't include Preston in the poll since he was basically a session musician -- played with Little Richard, The Beatles, Stones, Joe Cocker and others.

Give a listen:

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
This weekend I cued up some Billy Preston to shake the walls and it got me thinking about other great keyboardists - often the most overlooked guy in the band. I didn't include Preston in the poll since he was basically a session musician -- played with Little Richard, The Beatles, Stones, Joe Cocker and others.

Give a listen:

Should have included Preston, imho.

Reactions: furfoot
Well, since you didn't specify genre and allow write-ins (and this changes for me depending on who I'm listening to at the time) I'll go with Jimmy Smith - Grand Master of the Hammond B3. At other times it could be Bill Evans, Art Tatum, T Monk, Martha Argerich, Horowitz, etc... From your list I would choose Keith Emerson.

Reactions: rudedude
To me, it came down to Wakeman (yes), Manzarek (Doors) or Keith Emerson (EMP). To me, the Doors were Morrison and Manzarek. I feel like the Doors would still be huge if not for Morrison's death and a lack of effort to keep their music alive. LA Woman is in the top five LP's of all time, IMHO. "Cars Hiss by My Window" is a personal favorite that never go the recognition due to massive hits like LA Woman, Love Her Madly and Riders.

Yes is just revolutionary. I love their keyboard work, but to me its more of a "group" thing than just Wakeman.

I voted for Emerson because EMP is Emerson...period. And, his work with the Moog and other tools was so far beyond anyone at the time. He was like a mad scientist.

Reactions: BBrown
I had to with Steve Winwood mostly because he wrote the Jordan Bros hit, 'give me some lovin''

It came down to Wakeman and Richard Wright. Had to go with Wright, simply for what he did on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". It was simple and clean, but it is an iconic string of keyboard notes.

It came down to Wakeman and Richard Wright. Had to go with Wright, simply for what he did on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". It was simple and clean, but it is an iconic string of keyboard notes.
Rick Wakeman. Superman.

Give a listen:

Guy who really stands out for me is Manzarek of The Doors.

Jon Lord and Ray Manzarek are my favorites... Hands down the two most-important IMHO...

Nobody looked as intimidating behind a keyboard that Jon Lord... Though I'm wondering why Elton John and Billy Joel wouldn't fit as they are easily among the most important keyboardists in history ( keyboard = piano,too, no?) Or, does "keyboardist" imply group-member?

http://www.deep-purple.net/gallery/jon-lord-plock/jon-lord-4.html

even though I voted for Emerson, Tony Banks is probably the most underrated guy on that list.

But no Keith Godchaux? no Brent Mydland? Vince Welnick? Bruce Hornsby? PIG PEN? Tom Constanten?

why do you hate the Grateful Dead? LOL

Reactions: Nittanyplayer#12
even though I voted for Emerson, Tony Banks is probably the most underrated guy on that list.

But no Keith Godchaux? no Brent Mydland? Vince Welnick? Bruce Hornsby? PIG PEN? Tom Constanten?

why do you hate the Grateful Dead? LOL

Ben Folds? Saw him live once; not the best voice in the world, but man, he can play the sh*t out of a piano...

Also saw Tori Amos live once - unreal. Her intro to 'Precious Things' is chilling...

Ben Folds? Saw him live once; not the best voice in the world, but man, he can play the sh*t out of a piano...

Also saw Tori Amos live once - unreal. Her intro to 'Precious Things' is chilling...

I was waiting for someone to mention Ben Folds. He kicks ass. He's a great songwriter all the way from the serious song end of the spectrum to the funny song end. And his live performances are great too. Sometimes I go onto Youtube and just watch his performances.

I was waiting for someone to mention Ben Folds. He kicks ass. He's a great songwriter all the way from the serious song end of the spectrum to the funny song end. And his live performances are great too. Sometimes I go onto Youtube and just watch his performances.

Also, his cover of NWA's 'Bi*ches Ain't Sh*t' is one of the all time great cover songs...

Also, his cover of NWA's 'Bi*ches Ain't Sh*t' is one of the all time great cover songs...

When I first heard that I didn't know if he wrote it or if it was a cover. It sounds like the lyrics to a rap song but OTOH he is known to write weird stuff now and then. The lyrics are absolutely vile but the song, or his version of it, is so nice and melodic. So I did the research and found out that the song was a cover. Maybe this means I'm an old man but I can't recall listening to an uglier song, both musically and lyrically. It's like Dr Dre, or whoever wrote it, set out to make a song as offensive as possibly not just lyrically but musically. But listening to the Ben Folds version is nice, except that you feel kinda like a misogynist just for listening to a song with those lyrics.

No list is complete without the great Viv Savage. He was an essential driving force behind Spinal Tap's Magnum Opus - Jazz Odyssey.

Reactions: simons96
When I first heard that I didn't know if he wrote it or if it was a cover. It sounds like the lyrics to a rap song but OTOH he is known to write weird stuff now and then. The lyrics are absolutely vile but the song, or his version of it, is so nice and melodic. So I did the research and found out that the song was a cover. Maybe this means I'm an old man but I can't recall listening to an uglier song, both musically and lyrically. It's like Dr Dre, or whoever wrote it, set out to make a song as offensive as possibly not just lyrically but musically. But listening to the Ben Folds version is nice, except that you feel kinda like a misogynist just for listening to a song with those lyrics.

Well, I think that's why his cover is so brilliant (sort of the first person I can recall putting a melodic spin on gangsta rap); if you're not paying attention, you think, 'Hmm...this is pleasant,'. And that was pretty typical for gangsta rap of that generation (late 80's early 90's), and pretty mild compared to some of the other stuff that was popular at the time (Ghetto Boys, Too Short, etc.).

No list is complete without the great Viv Savage. He was an essential driving force behind Spinal Tap's Magnum Opus - Jazz Odyssey.

Some great info on Viv at the Spinal Tap A to Zed site.

Spinal Tap A to Zed
viv.jpg
Savage, Viv:
Keyboardist left Aftertaste to join Tap in 1975 in time for "Bent for the Rent" tour. Replaced Ross MacLochness, who left for Namibia to do missionary work. Savage, who had only a half-vote in the band, was later reportedly killed by a natural gas explosion while visiting the Hampstead grave of drummer Mick Shrimpton. Replaced by C.J. Vanston for "Break Like the Wind" tour in 1992. Although Savage's death was initially a mystery, Derek told a reporter the explosion had been caused by swamp gas and that Savage had been a drummer until the age of 15 without Tap's knowledge. Derek: "If we'd known that, we never would have hired him." (GW) Nigel: "What evil force knew that he was a drummer? He never said; we never knew." Band members said they never suspected Savage had once played the drums because he didn't have an anorexic girlfriend, car trouble, a funny voice, a problem with tardiness, constant indebtedness or any other common drummer traits. (TP) Derek: "I have to say, now that he's passed on, that Viv was a great procurer of certain road necessities. We'll leave it at that." David: "A proper cord was a wonderful accident for Viv." (QM) David: "Poor Viv. He could never get the singing down." Derek: "Same with the talking." Nigel: "Did Viv ever know his mic wasn't on?" (DV) Savage was filmed during "This is Spinal Tap" discussing drugs such as Gold Rush Brown and Medicino Rocket Fuel and destroying planets on a tour bus video game. Asked by director DiBergi for his philosophy, the keyboardist said it all: "Have a good time, all the time!", which Tap says later ended up on him tombstone. Without rock 'n roll, "I'd probably get a bit stupid and start to make a fool of myself in public, 'cause there wouldn't be a stage to go on." In 1992 the Nose magazine claimed to have discovered Viv alive, performing with a group called the Viv Savage Experience. He said he had "no hard feelings" toward Tap. The band says the musician is simply a lookalike.

I like everyone on this list, many of my favorite bands.

It's ironic that Wakeman is synonymous with Yes music (and rightfully so), yet they have had several keyboard players over the years. The one I might throw into this discussion is Patrick Moraz, mostly of Moody Blues fame. The Gates Of Delirium is just a wild musical ride.

Wow, I'm pretty surprised that Chuck Leavell did not get any prior mention. His work with the Allman Brothers, and the Stones, not to mention his considerable body of stellar session work, puts him at the top of my list.

It's ironic that Wakeman is synonymous with Yes music (and rightfully so), yet they have had several keyboard players over the years. The one I might throw into this discussion is Patrick Moraz, mostly of Moody Blues fame. The Gates Of Delirium is just a wild musical ride.

having seen Geoff Downes multiple times in concert, hey may also be vastly underrated

having seen Geoff Downes multiple times in concert, hey may also be vastly underrated

I've only seen them with Wakeman and Patrick Moraz. I think we had a back and forth a couple of years ago on "Gates of Delirium" the night of the epic Mummers (not for long), Pousette-Dart Band, Gary Wright, Peter Frampton, Yes show in the summer of 76 at JFK. That was intense. People freezing and sunburned after the sun went down and the temp dropped about 30 degrees. What an experience when that when they transitioned from "I've Seen All Good People" to "Gates of Delirium!" Cosmic consciousness was achieved!

I have to write in:
Billy Powell
Sarah McLachlan
Ben Folds
and Tom Scholz

Give a listen:

Greg Rolie.......original member of two decent bands - Santana & Journey!

Playing ability? The nod goes to Emerson. However, the ability to play is different from ability to compose and play. If this were the criteria I'd have to say Lyle Mays of Pat Metheny Group. Phase Dance maybe the most enjoyable piano solo ever.

ADVERTISEMENT