ADVERTISEMENT

Need Help From PSU Fanatics Who Have "Cut out Cable"..Please

dogwood3131

Jan 28, 2003
Hey Everyone,
I will try and make this short as I'm sure this has been asked before. I have just canceled my directv.. The only thing I must find a way to watch is PSU football. I have a young family so can't always hit the bar. Don't live close enough to make every game + financially does not work for us at this point in our lives. Anyone else get ride of cable and find good ways to catch games? i have great Internet connection... with ability to hook computer up to TV.. but laptop is dated. Anyone use "watch espn" does that include the national and regionally televised games? or just smaller conference out of region games? Is it reliable? what about BTN online? for the 3 games a year we are on BTN... Anyone find a way to watch when we are on abc? Any other means you guys have found? Thanks in advance.....

I think you can get our games that are in big ten network a la carte for like $10 via btn2go. I haven't done it though. For espn, just have a friend who has cable give you his login and password, you can watch all the games in espn, plus more every weekend. Doesn't cost the friend anything, and he gains a couple six packs.

The wife and I ditched time warner cable earlier this summer. Hardly watch tv and could justify paying 100+ for cable. We ended up getting sling tv. 25 a month and that includes espn, espn2/u, sec network and some other basic Chanel's. Our HD antenna picks up abc, cbs, nbc etc. so far not bad. Sucks not having the big tenon sling and obviously will have to make plans for the sept 19tggane vs RutgersRutgers

The wife and I ditched time warner cable earlier this summer. Hardly watch tv and could justify paying 100+ for cable. We ended up getting sling tv. 25 a month and that includes espn, espn2/u, sec network and some other basic Chanel's. Our HD antenna picks up abc, cbs, nbc etc. so far not bad. Sucks not having the big tenon sling and obviously will have to make plans for the sept 19th game vs Rutgers

BTN is the issue. You can't get it (or btn2go ) without a cable subscription. Apparently you can if you're located outside the U.S. Some people use anonymous browsing and proxy services to appear to be out of the country.

ESPN you can now subscribe to via Sling TV on a month to month basis.

If you have Comcast Internet, you could look into "Internet plus" or "Blast Plus" -- it's a barebones cable package plus HBO that is offered for just slightly more than the price of internet alone. Includes networks, AMC, comedy central and a couple others. These packages are basically designed to retain potential cable cutters.

And then you can add the "sports package" for $8.95 a month -- which gets you ESPN and BTN. A lot of people add it in September and then cancel it in December after football season.

Hey Everyone,
I will try and make this short as I'm sure this has been asked before. I have just canceled my directv.. The only thing I must find a way to watch is PSU football. I have a young family so can't always hit the bar. Don't live close enough to make every game + financially does not work for us at this point in our lives. Anyone else get ride of cable and find good ways to catch games? i have great Internet connection... with ability to hook computer up to TV.. but laptop is dated. Anyone use "watch espn" does that include the national and regionally televised games? or just smaller conference out of region games? Is it reliable? what about BTN online? for the 3 games a year we are on BTN... Anyone find a way to watch when we are on abc? Any other means you guys have found? Thanks in advance.....
DirectTV isn't cable, it's satellite. I cancelled mine earlier this year and after numerous calls and many sales people, I went back to DirectTV for about $70 per month and got a $200 Visa card. I also changed my phone to Ooma and have reduced my bill about 40%. I have high speed internet via the cable.

While you can pay for a BTN streaming only subscription, it does NOT carry live football games.

http://www.btn2go.com/packages

BTN Plus does not include Big Ten football games. If you do not have BTN at home, you will not be able to get it through BTN Plus.

Since you said your laptop is getting long in the tooth, you can look into investing ~$35 and getting a Google Chromecast device, which will replace your laptop, and handle most of the the streaming. I know that ESPN / WatchESPN and BTN (Just announced to start before this football season) work with it, as does YouTube and a bunch of others (see link).

Good luck!

While you can pay for a BTN streaming only subscription, it does NOT carry live football games.

http://www.btn2go.com/packages

Since you said your laptop is getting long in the tooth, you can look into investing ~$35 and getting a Google Chromecast device, which will replace your laptop, and handle most of the the streaming. I know that ESPN / WatchESPN and BTN (Just announced to start before this football season) work with it, as does YouTube and a bunch of others (see link).

Good luck!
The chromcast still requires another device either a laptop or phone. Fire stick or a rokudevice would be a better option. Watch ESPN and BTN require TV subscriptions to access live games on the networks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT