ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA LS Director's Cup all sports ranking. Pitt #96. Schools they rank behind...

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
Penn State is currently ranked #3 in the nation.

Learfield Sports Directors Cup

A program that honors institutions maintaining a broad-based program, achieving success in many sports, both men’s and women’s. Each institution is awarded points in a pre-determined number of sports for men and women.

Sports Included
Division I — 20, ten men’s and ten women’s

Current Standings

69 New Hampshire
72 Illinois State
75 Albany
76 North Dakota State
83 Rutgers
85 Iona
86 Florida Gulf Coast
89 Stephen F Austin
95 Akron
96 Pitt

Penn State is currently ranked #3 in the nation.

Learfield Sports Directors Cup

A program that honors institutions maintaining a broad-based program, achieving success in many sports, both men’s and women’s. Each institution is awarded points in a pre-determined number of sports for men and women.

Sports Included
Division I — 20, ten men’s and ten women’s

Current Standings

69 New Hampshire
72 Illinois State
75 Albany
76 North Dakota State
83 Rutgers
85 Iona
86 Florida Gulf Coast
89 Stephen F Austin
95 Akron
96 Pitt

Instant-Win-Giveaway1.jpg

Wait a minute, I've read on the Lair that Pitt has one of the most successful sports programs in the country!?!?!?!

But you're forgetting that they were consistently in the top three from 1911-1918, when they were a major football power. Now that's bragging rights. I believe that they had 17 National Championships during that decade.

Wait a minute, I've read on the Lair that Pitt has one of the most successful sports programs in the country!?!?!?!

Actually, they bring in the least revenue of any program from the Big 5 conferences.
But you're forgetting that they were consistently in the top three from 1911-1918, when they were a major football power. Now that's bragging rights. I believe that they had 17 National Championships during that decade.

My favorite of their "national titles" was the one they "earned" after they were beaten by 50 in the bowl game that ended that season.

All of those National Championships and 13 spots below Rutgers? How can that be? Is that close enough to be called a #Big Rival?

Yesterday, I heard on the radio that all 19 of Pitt's sports programs met their academic requirements this past year. Now that's something to shout about!

Truth be told, I despise most things about the place, but I must honestly state that if the kids are hitting the books that should be something to be proud of. I wonder if there is a thread over on the Liar about this news tidbit.

Pittsburgh will get some points once softball gets factored in.

Still --- that is pretty pathetic.

So what? You forget their 9 national championships including #1 vs the Egyptian Army team in 800 BC and #2 vs Nero's Roman Centurion team in 54 AD, although the Visagoth Raiders dispute that title. Could be only 8 after all.

I know I would wear earplugs there -- 12,098 people can make some serious noise.

Subtract both teams, support staff, press box and vendors and I think you're down to double digits.There's probably no one else left in the stands that's not a relative of someone there playing.

I do believe Akron dominated Pitt the last time they met on the football field a year or two ago.

ADVERTISEMENT