ADVERTISEMENT

MSU not doing so hot lately

The game was a essentially a draw until Rising went out. We did not impose our will on Utah. The caved because Rising was not in the game.
I have the Rose Bowl saved on my DVR. I just quickly rewatched the game. With 13:00 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter the chirping and chippy play commenced as the team's traded drives and scores. The half ended with PSU's 1st sack of the game on Rising.

Penn State would have 5 QB pressures in the 1st half. They would duplicate that number of pressures on Rising in the 1st drive of the 2nd half.

Trailing, under pressure and forced to run, he got injured. The essential draw you spoke of was actually a 21-14 PSU lead. And the 'caving' you refer to was PSU continuing to impose their will on Utah.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but don't conflate what you think with what actually occurred.

That is a big if. We are considerably more likely to have three losses at that point than one. I would go so far as to say it is more likely we would have four losses than just one.

Wow, I'm utterly shocked you'd make this prediction....... NOT! LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣

You said the same horseshit last year in predicting PSU would go 7-5 last year. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: royboy
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but don't conflate what you think with what actually occurred.

I, among others, appreciate you checking times and rewatching footage. Peggy does not. He has his own metrics.

Rising getting hurt matters while Clifford getting hurt more than 15 minutes sooner in the '21 Iowa game was irrelevant.

The Pigeon has keys.

1. Denigrate anything PSU does that is positive.
2. Pile on and parade anything negative.

Our wins always stink; our losses are the exemplary to judge by.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
I have the Rose Bowl saved on my DVR. I just quickly rewatched the game. With 13:00 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter the chirping and chippy play commenced as the team's traded drives and scores. The half ended with PSU's 1st sack of the game on Rising.

Penn State would have 5 QB pressures in the 1st half. They would duplicate that number of pressures on Rising in the 1st drive of the 2nd half.

Trailing, under pressure and forced to run, he got injured. The essential draw you spoke of was actually a 21-14 PSU lead. And the 'caving' you refer to was PSU continuing to impose their will on Utah.

We didn't impose our will. The game was played to a draw. Rising's injury and a couple of largely unforced errors are what opened up the game. You can think different if you want.

We didn't impose our will. The game was played to a draw. Rising's injury and a couple of largely unforced errors are what opened up the game. You can think different if you want.
You are entitled to your OPINION. But I know what I saw live the first time and then took the time to rewatch last evening and verify with specifics.

At my club last night, I spoke to a good friend of mine who was a successful local high school football coach (and a diehard Pitt fan btw) regarding the Rose Bowl. He believed that Utah would try to duplicate the game plan of Michigan. He was surprised how PSU stood up and pushed back in the trenches.

The unforced errors that you refer to, he characterized a different way. Utah's physicality advantage had been negated. And PSU's speed and scheme advantage in the 2nd half forced Utah into making poor decisions. He weas both surprised and impressed with PSU's effort and Rose Bowl victory.

I will not respond further as a Mark Twain quote comes to mind .....

You are entitled to your OPINION. But I know what I saw live the first time and then took the time to rewatch last evening and verify with specifics.

At my club last night, I spoke to a good friend of mine who was a successful local high school football coach (and a diehard Pitt fan btw) regarding the Rose Bowl. He believed that Utah would try to duplicate the game plan of Michigan. He was surprised how PSU stood up and pushed back in the trenches.

The unforced errors that you refer to, he characterized a different way. Utah's physicality advantage had been negated. And PSU's speed and scheme advantage in the 2nd half forced Utah into making poor decisions. He weas both surprised and impressed with PSU's effort and Rose Bowl victory.

I will not respond further as a Mark Twain quote comes to mind .....
I wouldn't trust what your local high school football coach says. Utah can't replicate Michigan's game plan because they run fundamentally different systems on both sides of the ball. By default, we play zone blocking schemes very well. Utah's offense is a derivative of the 91/92 Skip Holtz era Notre Dame offense that Urban Meyer built his offense on and took with him to Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. Utah runs a modified zone blocking scheme with some spread gap principles. Standing up to them shouldn't surprise anyone that understands Xs and Os. Defensively, they were forced to take risks due to a speed mismatch. Risks are risks. They had to take more once Rising went out to keep the score close. They paid for it. Make no mistake, the game was played to a draw until Rising went out. Statistically speaking, under Franklin, we collapse in the fourth quarter in close games, ahead, behind or tied with striking regularity, and not just against good teams. Utah took more chances to keep the score close in the fourth hoping for a big play. They lost. But, we didn't dominate as most of Franklin's groupies wish we did.

I wouldn't trust what your local high school football coach says. Utah can't replicate Michigan's game plan because they run fundamentally different systems on both sides of the ball. By default, we play zone blocking schemes very well. Utah's offense is a derivative of the 91/92 Skip Holtz era Notre Dame offense that Urban Meyer built his offense on and took with him to Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. Utah runs a modified zone blocking scheme with some spread gap principles. Standing up to them shouldn't surprise anyone that understands Xs and Os. Defensively, they were forced to take risks due to a speed mismatch. Risks are risks. They had to take more once Rising went out to keep the score close. They paid for it. Make no mistake, the game was played to a draw until Rising went out. Statistically speaking, under Franklin, we collapse in the fourth quarter in close games, ahead, behind or tied with striking regularity, and not just against good teams. Utah took more chances to keep the score close in the fourth hoping for a big play. They lost. But, we didn't dominate as most of Franklin's groupies wish we did.
TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>TROLL>>>>>

To play devil's advocate, Utah lost to Florida in the opener, but it was the opener. I don't put too much stock there. We are considerably better than we were when we nearly lost to Purdue, who did more to lose the game than we did to win it. UCLA and Oregon however are considerably better than every team we beat. Utah may not have as loss as good as Ohio State, our uncompetitive loss to Michigan is as bad as it gets and Utah consistently played and beat much better teams over the course of the remainder of their season. This isn't the regular season, but Franklin loses to teams with Utah's strength of schedule greater than 90% of the time.

That is mostly my point. Oregon and UCLA are objectively better teams than the ten we beat so you can't take anything away from Utah's losses. But, we also haven't played anyone and lost, badly, to the two good teams we played.

Offensively, Utah most resembles Michigan with less talent. Not a good matchup for us as we have not historically played that style well and Diaz's defenses have a history of poor play against dynamic man blocking schemes dating to his time at Texas. Go watch the 2012 game against BYU that got Diaz fired. Bronco's offense looks a heck of a lot like what Utah is currently running. Offensively, we most resemble USC with a lot less talent and a QB that is no longer able to run like he did in 2019. He can still move but the matchups all favor Utah.

Now, as you said, motivation and preparation are key. Motivation, we'll be hyped playing the Rose Bowl, but preparation isn't really Franklin's thing. Utah will want to be there as well. Utah is more tested. In many ways, Utah is as close to Penn State was under Joe than what it is now. They are a talented, well coached, tough, hard nosed football team. They look a lot like Michigan State circa 2017/18 and we saw how that ended. I am honestly surprised Utah is only favored by a couple of points. Bowl games are weird but I wouldn't lay money down on this game.

Your own words. December 28th and today.

You're so full of shit as per usual. It was not played to a draw up to when rising left - Utah and Rising got the ball first in the 2nd half. They punted on their first possession. PSU immediately scored on their first possession of 2nd half to take a 21-14 lead. PSU's defense was relentlessly hounding and hitting Rising throughout the first half and through Utah's first 2 possessions of the 2nd half - Rising was limping multiple times in the first half and then exited after taking another hard hit scrambling for his life on 3rd down-&-9 on Utah's 2nd possession of 2nd Half trailing by a TD. You're f'ing friutloops if you don't think PSU's defense utterly punished Rising the entire time he was in the game. And again, you are factually full of shit as per usual that the game "was a draw" when Rising left the game - it wasn't, Utah was trailing

Dude has a football buzzword generator and uses it to mask the fact that he isn't much more than a pompous ass
Hardly, I was merely parroting what the know nothings in the press were reporting because I knew very little about Utah at the time. Once I saw them live, I knew they were idiots. Sue me.

• Haha
Reactions: lazydave841
Hardly, I was merely parroting what the know nothings in the press were reporting because I knew very little about Utah at the time. Once I saw them live, I knew they were idiots. Sue me.
Yet you boldly claimed that you did. That's my point. Look, you're probably more knowledgeable about the fine points of the game than me, so what. I observe, you pontificate. Just give it a rest

Yet you boldly claimed that you did. That's my point. Look, you're probably more knowledgeable about the fine points of the game than me, so what. I observe, you pontificate. Just give it a rest
He is incapable of giving it a rest. He needs the attention. Quit feeding him. Spend your precious time wisely and in enjoyable pursuits. "Ignore" is your friend.

I think we are reverting back to the mean. I don't think we were a legit top fifteen team last year but the schedule made us look like one. I don't put too much into a Rose Bowl win due to Utah losing it's QB for the game. We are in a transition year. We have major questions on defense at no fewer than five positions. We also have a rookie QB that will face Iowa early in the year. He is more likely to throw four or five picks than lead us to victory if history is our guide. Our receiving corps might be the worst in the division. Right now, it is worst I have ever seen in Happy Valley. The offensive line was suspect on a good day during the first half of last season, got destroyed by both Michigan and Ohio State, and only looked good against Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana and Michigan State, who was missing the majority of their two deep while playing with an extra blocker. I don't call that great. I am thinking we are reverting to the mean, and in Franklin speak, that is 8 and 4 and losses against every team with a pulse. That is Franklin's career in a nutshell.
Didn’t you predict PSU would have 4 losses in 2022?

Didn’t you predict PSU would have 4 losses in 2022?

Actually, he predicted 5 (i.e., 7-5). He went on to say while making this Preseason prediction that the highest possible ceiling for the team was 9-3, which there was no realistic probability of attaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT