ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mike Yurcich has been FIRED

Moorhead developed an excellent offense for the players he had. But he didn’t adapt well during games or the season. Teams would just concentrate on stopping Barkley with three or four guys at the mesh point. There were several,games that Barkley was held to 50-60 yards because of this.

I think it could be argued that he didn't adapt his offense during the season much (i.e. on a macro level) to what teams were doing or what worked better. But in game under Moorhead was the only time under Franklin where we really showed excellent half time adjustments to what was going on in a particular game. He seemed very capable of analyzing what was working and what the opposing defense was giving PSU and attacking it.

Given these close losses against better teams, we really could use an OC that actually is able to come up with a new or modified plan on the fly.

I think it could be argued that he didn't adapt his offense during the season much (i.e. on a macro level) to what teams were doing or what worked better. But in game under Moorhead was the only time under Franklin where we really showed excellent half time adjustments to what was going on in a particular game. He seemed very capable of analyzing what was working and what the opposing defense was giving PSU and attacking it.

Given these close losses against better teams, we really could use an OC that actually is able to come up with a new or modified plan on the fly.
As someone else posted, we scored very little against the B2G Two in 2016. Little different than this year……save for a blocked field goal, scoop and score.

Like when our right tackle is being abused last year against OSU and we just keep him on an island against that Samoan kid who has the game of his life? Michigan's tackles were struggling against our pass rush this year. THey recognize it, immediately move to jumbo sets, run it down our faces....throw a couple timely quick receiver tunnel screens and a QB sweep. Our coaches need to "watch the tape" after the games to figure out adjustments not for the following half, but the next year.....then they still don't adjust.

He didnt adjust well after we started 2-2 in 2016? BS
What did he adjust? Trace was running a bunch in the Pitt game. Stuff finally started clicking. The team gelled. I can't point to any adjustment that was made. Can you? It seems your argument is merely "we won out".

Like when our right tackle is being abused last year against OSU and we just keep him on an island against that Samoan kid who has the game of his life? Michigan's tackles were struggling against our pass rush this year. THey recognize it, immediately move to jumbo sets, run it down our faces....throw a couple timely quick receiver tunnel screens and a QB sweep. Our coaches need to "watch the tape" after the games to figure out adjustments not for the following half, but the next year.....then they still don't adjust.

We really should have put a TE on whatever side JTT lined up or motioned one there to help. Shift the pocket away. Anything.

What did he adjust? Trace was running a bunch in the Pitt game. Stuff finally started clicking. The team gelled. I can't point to any adjustment that was made. Can you? It seems your argument is merely "we won out".

We really should have put a TE on whatever side JTT lined up or motioned one there to help. Shift the pocket away. Anything.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: lazydave841
However in 2017 we scored 42 & 39 against them ….
I am not saying he was a bad OC. He was actually pretty good. He saw what talent we had, where we were weak, and devised a good system to capitalize what we had ,

But he didn’t seem to adapt throughout the season. Barkley could have had 500 yds more and won the Heisman.

When a DC is prepping for an RPO he looks who is the biggest threat in the offense. In our case Barkley. So you tell the front seven job one is stop Barkley. Even force the QB to keep the ball and take Barkley out if the game. Which is why he had a game of 45 yds on only 15 carries and one of 60…methinks 18 carries…..IIRC.

Run some counters with a slot back/TE. Pull the guard or tackle to lead the counter back and kick out the DE/Tackle.

After this works a few times the linebackers would start to hesitate while looking for the counter …. giving Barkley more room to make his cuts.

We never ran a single counter. I watched, waited, and yelled all season … COUNTER!

I am not saying he was a bad OC. He was actually pretty good. He saw what talent we had, where we were weak, and devised a good system to capitalize what we had ,

But he didn’t seem to adapt throughout the season. Barkley could have had 500 yds more and won the Heisman.

When a DC is prepping for an RPO he looks who is the biggest threat in the offense. In our case Barkley. So you tell the front seven job one is stop Barkley. Even force the QB to keep the ball and take Barkley out if the game. Which is why he had a game of 45 yds on only 15 carries and one of 60…methinks 18 carries…..IIRC.

Run some counters with a slot back/TE. Pull the guard or tackle to lead the counter back and kick out the DE/Tackle.

After this works a few times the linebackers would start to hesitate while looking for the counter …. giving Barkley more room to make his cuts.

We never ran a single counter. I watched, waited, and yelled all season … COUNTER!
I hear you. I’d prefer someone else as well but won’t be upset if it’s him

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT