ADVERTISEMENT

Football Michigan vs Penn State Predictions

I never posted a prediction for the Ohio St game bc I thought PSU would lose and I didn’t want to post negatively.

But THIS Saturday, Allar, KLS, Cephas, Johnson, Allen (especially) and Singleton BRING it like they never have before. Diaz has the D dialed up like never before. The fans are amped up like never before. And in a game that the fanbase will talk about as one of their greatest memories of the Franklin era, Penn State gets over the hump and gets it done.

24-13 Penn State wins.

Almost no one leaves the stadium for almost an hour after the final whistle. The celebration goes on all night.

Michigan runs the football. Their line does their thing constantly changing gaps by pulling multiple linemen and we are down big and pull out some garbage times scores to make it look respectable.

Michigan 42
Penn State 17

24-10 Michigan
I don't understand how anyone feels optimistic about this one after the Ohio State game. Our defense will keep it respectable.

I was at like 8% for a PSU victory vs Mich after the
OSU loss . Now I’m up to like 22% .
The OLine. Must protect Allar , we need to run the ball.
Our D line must contain the run. ( I think they will )
And we need a Jacobs type strip sack 6 ( without the
Ticky tack DB holding call ) to bring it home.
I’m an optimist like MC Peak so …. Go Nits .
Make it happen .

Last edited:
GIF by FirstAndMonday

Michigan runs the football. Their line does their thing constantly changing gaps by pulling multiple linemen and we are down big and pull out some garbage times scores to make it look respectable.

Michigan 42
Penn State 17
It's not like I don't believe your prediction may be correct, but have you EVER posted anything positive about this team since JoPa left?

Reactions: mcpat
Hurts to say this but I don’t have a lot of faith in Franklin to win big games. Even other games are a struggle.

Didn’t have a backup QB ready against Iowa. Terrible. Never adjusted to the unbalanced line and power formations against Illinois….. and again coulda used a back up QB. Against Michigan last year never adjusted for the running game of Michigan. They constantly pulled the back side guard and tackle…sometimes the center…..to overload the point of attack. Sorta like our power T runs. And never adjusted. Against Bucknuts three weeks ago allowed Harrison to run free and killed us. Never adjusted.

In big games against teams with equal or better talent you need to quickly adjust to situational football. He needs to be far better at it.

All that being said, this is a winnable game. Both defenses are good so a low scoring game. Allar needs to play well as do the O line. If they do we win. But this will likely play out like other big games…. close until the fourth when we tire and break down. Lose 27-17.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan
Hurts to say this but I don’t have a lot of faith in Franklin to win big games. Even other games are a struggle.

Didn’t have a backup QB ready against Iowa. Terrible. Never adjusted to the off balance line and power formations against Illinois….. and again coulda used a back up QB. Against Michigan last year never adjusted Fo the run I g game of Michigan. They constantly pulled the back side guard and tackle…sometimes the center…..to overload the point of attack. Sorta like our power T runs. And never adjusted. Against Bucknit’s three weeks ago allowed Henderson (Harrison)Fo run free and killed us. Never adjusted.

In big games against teams with equal or better talent you need to quickly adjust to situational football. He needs to be far better at it.

All that being said, this is a winnable game. Both defenses are good so a low scoring game. Allar needs to play well as do the O line. If they do we win. But this will likely play out like other big games…. close until the fourth when we tire and break down. Lose 27-17.
Fixed it since Henderson sat against us.

Trautwein better have this OL ready to run block, if not, game over! This ineptness of OL run blocking has been going far too long. It will be the key to tomorrows game.

When was the last time we saw a PSU "bust through the hole for a large gain" like Henderson or Corum does, and not against cupcakes.

Interested in what the HVI staff predictions are. Total homer like with the OSU game, or a more realistic one?
I still believe thinking we'd beat Ohio.State at the time was reasonable and not just a homer pick. Now seeing that game anyone picking Penn State is doing so with their heart and ignoring what they saw.

I still believe thinking we'd beat Ohio.State at the time was reasonable and not just a homer pick. Now seeing that game anyone picking Penn State is doing so with their heart and ignoring what they saw.
I also do not believe Penn State gave themselves the best chance they could to win that game, but that's an entirely different discussion.

I also do not believe Penn State gave themselves the best chance they could to win that game, but that's an entirely different discussion.
If Allen doesn't get 80% of the snaps they won't this time either. Have zero confidence in the offense. Not sure how anyone can. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.

Michigan over PSU. You can’t be disappointed if you have low expectations.

I want to believe. I soooo much want to believe.

But at this point, after 30 years in this crap-ass league, when it comes to our games against the Big-2, I identify with some Springsteen lyrics from Born In The USA: End up like a dog that's been beat too much...til you spend half your life just covering up.

I mean, we've found ways to lose the big games against these two teams so often, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, suffered 4th-quarter collapses, been screwed over by biased zebras...that you go into them now covering up and expecting the worst.

So here's my prediction, like Charlie Brown running up to kick the football as Lucy holds it: Penn State 23 Michigan 19. Hope springs eternal...

If Allen doesn't get 80% of the snaps they won't this time either. Have zero confidence in the offense. Not sure how anyone can. Hopefully I'm dead wrong.
I think PSU needs both Allen and Singleton. I like both of them at the same time with Singleton as a slot receiver. PSU's offense has struggled and we need our best athletes on the field. Allen is a bull but we're not going to win by just running him between the tackles and getting 80 yards from Lambert Smith. We have to find a way to get Singleton the ball in space.

I want to believe. I soooo much want to believe.

But at this point, after 30 years in this crap-ass league, when it comes to our games against the Big-2, I identify with some Springsteen lyrics from Born In The USA: End up like a dog that's been beat too much...til you spend half your life just covering up.

I mean, we've found ways to lose the big games against these two teams so often, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, suffered 4th-quarter collapses, been screwed over by biased zebras...that you go into them now covering up and expecting the worst.

So here's my prediction, like Charlie Brown running up to kick the football as Lucy holds it: Penn State 23 Michigan 19. Hope springs eternal...
This time we kick both Lucy, AND the ball.

Penn State 20
Michigan. 10

Reactions: JoePano19 and Jerry

Didn’t have a backup QB ready against Iowa. Terrible. Never adjusted to the unbalanced line and power formations against Illinois….. and again coulda used a back up QB. Against Michigan last year never adjusted for the running game of Michigan. They constantly pulled the back side guard and tackle…sometimes the center…..to overload the point of attack. Sorta like our power T runs. And never adjusted. Against Bucknuts three weeks ago allowed Harrison to run free and killed us. Never adjusted.

PSU defense is good but it's high risk and prone to giving up big plays because of all the blitzing. It works against weaker teams but will it hold up against Michigan?

OSU & IND stacked the LOS and played PSU WRs tight. Usually only 1 safety because they didn't think our WRs could beat them deep. Allar was shaky under so much pressure. That has to change but I don't expect miracles.

The key is to stay close early and maybe get a score on defense or special teams. I don't see how we win without that.

Reactions: JoePano19
I can't imagine holding Michigan to 12 points. They have two bruising RBs and McCarthy is better than he was last year.
they haven't been able to run the ball all year. What makes you think it starts tomorrow?

they haven't been able to run the ball all year. What makes you think it starts tomorrow?
UM is 4th in BiG rushing
Corum is 5th leading rusher (Allen 6th)
UM leads the conference in scoring

PSU defense is good but it's high risk and prone to giving up big plays because of all the blitzing. It works against weaker teams but will it hold up against Michigan?

OSU & IND stacked the LOS and played PSU WRs tight. Usually only 1 safety because they didn't think our WRs could beat them deep. Allar was shaky under so much pressure. That has to change but I don't expect miracles.

The key is to stay close early and maybe get a score on defense or special teams. I don't see how we win without that.
I agree about this style of defense. Great teams like OSU & UM seem to easily exploit it and find the spots vacated by blitzes.

Again, with the offense @ this point I'm a "show me" fan against top tier competition. UM isn't Maryland.

Reactions: bdgan
I agree about this style of defense. Great teams like OSU & UM seem to easily exploit it and find the spots vacated by blitzes.

Again, with the offense @ this point I'm a "show me" fan against top tier competition. UM isn't Maryland.
Taulia was 17-17 against PSU but a turnover on downs and a fumble put MD in a bad spot. When they fell behind PSU's defense teed off on them.

UM has a better OL and more playmakers. They won't be one dimensional.

What's everyone's prediction for Saturday?
35-14 Penn State. Game is tied 14-14 at half. Yurchich has Drew come out throwing down the field and Michigan is caught off guard. In the second half the running lanes open up, and Singleton finally breaks a long TD run to give us a two score lead. Crowd goes berzerk. Adissa gets a strip sack next series as Michigan is forced to pass, and we methodically drive down the field and Drew goes play action to a wide open Theo Johnson to put the game on ice. Defense then finishes the game and a WILD postgame celebration ensues!!!

35-14 Penn State. Game is tied 14-14 at half. Yurchich has Drew come out throwing down the field and Michigan is caught off guard. In the second half the running lanes open up, and Singleton finally breaks a long TD run to give us a two score lead. Crowd goes berzerk. Adissa gets a strip sack next series as Michigan is forced to pass, and we methodically drive down the field and Drew goes play action to a wide open Theo Johnson to put the game on ice. Defense then finishes the game and a WILD postgame celebration ensues!!!
I'll have some of what you're having.

Reactions: JoePano19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT