ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan player wanting to continue career told to sign medical by Harbaugh (link)

The reality is this stuff never matters to the next class. They all sign and think this could never be me, I am too good. They have done OTL segments on LSU doing this and Bama has received much press over the years. Never hurts them Just win baby in the NFL minors, This ain't your Daddy's college football no more.

The kid has had multiple concussions among other injuries. The fact is UM is under the 85 man limit so the staff doesn't have a 'need' to run him off. Maybe it's in his best interest to stop playing?
Who knows. Nobody commenting on this knows the situation.

Who knows. Nobody commenting on this knows the situation.
The kid has had multiple concussions among other injuries. The fact is UM is under the 85 man limit so the staff doesn't have a 'need' to run him off. Maybe it's in his best interest to stop playing?
Without the benefit of both sides of the story how can any reasonable person make a judgement here?

Reactions: OMPats13
I hope Franklin doesn't go that way.
Kid gets to stay and get his degree on scholarship. Either medical or regular scholarship. The kid has had multiple concussions, ACL and also a neck and shoulder injury. I would hope Franklin would go that route. Pipkins is a senior so it's not even close to an open up a scholarship issue. After the Shane Morris concussion incident last year what do you think the media would say this year if pipkins goes out and gets yet another concussion? They would be all over with story's questioning why the staff would even play a kid with the past history of injuries. Not sure this is such a bad thing at all if you really read into the story a bit.

Reactions: EPC FAN
The reality is this stuff never matters to the next class. They all sign and think this could never be me, I am too good. They have done OTL segments on LSU doing this and Bama has received much press over the years. Never hurts them Just win baby in the NFL minors, This ain't your Daddy's college football no more.

You said "the next class". Let's instead focus on individuals. We are talking about individuals who have different value systems and priorities. I believe it is unrealistic to think that no recruits will be influenced by negative press about a coach. There are worse things that could be said about a coach than what is being said here about harbaugh, but things like this about harbaugh can grow, and some kids could take notice. Kids will choose other schools over um. For some kids, it will be due to a better connection with another school's coach than with harbaugh. Kids may never say it, but if harbaugh's reputation for dumping kids on scholarship grows, that could play a role in some kids choosing to go elsewhere.

Right now, um is behind schools like lsu and bama. harbaugh doesn't need negative press if he wants to catch up with saban and miles.

I
You said "the next class". Let's instead focus on individuals. We are talking about individuals who have different value systems and priorities. I believe it is unrealistic to think that no recruits will be influenced by negative press about a coach. There are worse things that could be said about a coach than what is being said here about harbaugh, but things like this about harbaugh can grow, and some kids could take notice. Kids will choose other schools over um. For some kids, it will be due to a better connection with another school's coach than with harbaugh. Kids may never say it, but if harbaugh's reputation for dumping kids on scholarship grows, that could play a role in some kids choosing to go elsewhere.

Right now, um is behind schools like lsu and bama. harbaugh doesn't need negative press if he wants to catch up with saban and miles.

I guess, but I have yet to read one kid that committed anywhere saying this was an issue. Never a peep about Saban, Miles, Meyer, et al They seem to recruit just fine. Meyers even had the RS FR from this year's team that was declared injury inelegible at OSU and tansferred to Auburn where he is cleared to play. The recruiting train continues to Columbus unabated...

2015 is rather irrelvant to this discussion --- this is all about the scholarship being available in 2016.

Pipkins still has a redshirt year remaining (he's played in all of 2012, 2013 and 2014).

One option thus would be to redshirt him in 2015, and talk to him over the course of the year about retiring while also monitoring his progress.

Not leveraging an option like that ---- the scholarship is definitely available for 2016.

#Fab25 is a thing on Twitter these days. U-M wants a 25-man class next February. It would be huge for Harbaugh to get the best class possible next February. But as the numbers stand right now, there's not room for 25 w/o some attrition. This is one way to get some attrition.

Sorry --- I'll defend U-M when they deserve it, but this one doesn't look good at all to me.

Kid gets to stay and get his degree on scholarship. Either medical or regular scholarship. The kid has had multiple concussions, ACL and also a neck and shoulder injury. I would hope Franklin would go that route. Pipkins is a senior so it's not even close to an open up a scholarship issue. After the Shane Morris concussion incident last year what do you think the media would say this year if pipkins goes out and gets yet another concussion? They would be all over with story's questioning why the staff would even play a kid with the past history of injuries. Not sure this is such a bad thing at all if you really read into the story a bit.

Inclined to agree since Pipkins is in his final year of eligibility. Olnly question I have is that if there are compelling medical reasons for him to stop playing does Harbaugh, et al need to have him sign a form? One would think that the coach could unilaterally excuse him from the team while he remains on scholarship. Granted, it's better to discuss it with the player and obtain his consent, but, in the end, I'm not sure why it's necessary.

2015 is rather irrelvant to this discussion --- this is all about the scholarship being available in 2016.

Pipkins still has a redshirt year remaining (he's played in all of 2012, 2013 and 2014).

One option thus would be to redshirt him in 2015, and talk to him over the course of the year about retiring while also monitoring his progress.

Not leveraging an option like that ---- the scholarship is definitely available for 2016.

#Fab25 is a thing on Twitter these days. U-M wants a 25-man class next February. It would be huge for Harbaugh to get the best class possible next February. But as the numbers stand right now, there's not room for 25 w/o some attrition. This is one way to get some attrition.

Sorry --- I'll defend U-M when they deserve it, but this one doesn't look good at all to me.

That's manure. All Harbaugh would need to do to is put him in for one play during the 2015 season and sit his ass for the remainder and he's done, no discussion.

Reactions: eidolon21
Odell Pipkins told Detroit media that he had been asked "10 times" by Michigan FB HC Jim Harbaugh to sign papers switching him from an active scholarship player to a medical scholie. This would prohibit him from ever playing for the Wolverines, getting the new cost-of-living payment, eating at the training table, or having tutors.

The big question is why Harbaugh didn't just fail to renew him. Maybe B1G rules don't permit injured players to be cut, or maybe Brady Hoke renewed him. He'll probably transfer to Kansas or Kansas State (he's from Kansas City). But it's obvious that nobody signed by Hoke is safe, including QB Shane Morris.

Better question is why UM just didn't fail to renew his scholie. Or has the B1G gone to 4-year-guaranteed scholarships? Bring back the runoff of Daryl Royal fame.

Pipkins has a four-year guaranteed scholarship. Regardless, UM was willing to keep him scholarship.

That's manure. All Harbaugh would need to do to is put him in for one play during the 2015 season and sit his ass for the remainder and he's done, no discussion.

True, JH could do that. But an advantage of getting this signed before July 1st (as opposed to what you list above): a spot cleared for a 2016 U-M recruit to early enrollee.

Very true and unfortunate. This is what the game has become. Nobody likes a 7-6 record, but I'll take it to keep from being this type of program.

Reactions: Nashville Lion
In our rush to judgement, we seem to be making some (by-now) familiar mistakes. One is to believe whatever the media says. The second is to not bother analyzing what we read. It's called critical thinking.

The article tells us Pipkins has suffered not one, but two concussions last year. Given the media focus on concussions today, what coach in his right mind would allow a kid to continue playing? Especially given the severe media heat Brady Hoke and AD David Brandon received after sending a concussed QB back into the game. It played a big role in costing both their jobs, and Harbaugh would have to be completely tone deaf to ever play Pipkins again.

But more to the point, this isn't SEC or Urban Meyer behavior; this is taking a shot at such behavior: "After consulting with our medical team, we do not think it is in Ondre's best interest as it relates to his health and welfare to play football, short or long term," Harbaugh said in a statement given to ESPN on Friday. "He remains on full scholarship and counts toward the 85-scholarship limit in pursuit of graduation from the University of Michigan."

Last edited:
doesn't he stay on full scholarship because he DECLINED to sign the Medical waiver form, so Harbaugh has no control on that??
I easily may misunderstand this so.....

doesn't he stay on full scholarship because he DECLINED to sign the Medical waiver form, so Harbaugh has no control on that??

This is true; Pipkins declined. But the point here is, Harbaugh isn't trying to med-shirt a kid to make room on the 85-limit roster. He's willing to honor the B1G's commitment to 4-year scholarships. The SEC only believes in one-year renewable scholarships. If the kid isn't renewed...

In the SEC, Pipkins would be told he's being med-shirted whether he likes it or not, whether he signs anything or not. And his loss DOESN'T count against the 85-schollie limit.

Reactions: southern_lion

So you think UM should redshirt a kid who isn't medically cleared to play in hopes he gets healthy? Pumpkins wants to play this year. If the medical staff Doesn't think he's healthy enough then that's it. No debate.

And there won't be an issue with UM getting to 25 next year. There have already been a few that have left the team and potentially a handful of others. Expect attrition in the coming months. The Pipkins situation has nothing to do with numbers.

No. He would be on scholarship either way.

Further thought on this regarding 2016... if JH truly wants the scholarship for 2016 then he can simply not ask Pipkins back for his 5th year. Bottom line, this isn't a scholarship numbers issue.

So you think UM should redshirt a kid who isn't medically cleared to play in hopes he gets healthy? Pumpkins wants to play this year. If the medical staff Doesn't think he's healthy enough then that's it. No debate.

According to some reports he was initially cleared by the UM and then referred back to the doctors and told he was not medically cleared to play. He may not be healthy enough to play but if he was cleared and then, after refusing a medical hardship, was reevaluated and not cleared it looks like someone got to the doctors.That may not be true, but it makes it seem that something other than a diagnosis is the real reason for the switch.

According to some reports he was initially cleared by the UM and then referred back to the doctors and told he was not medically cleared to play. He may not be healthy enough to play but if he was cleared and then, after refusing a medical hardship, was reevaluated and not cleared it looks like someone got to the doctors.That may not be true, but it makes it seem that something other than a diagnosis is the real reason for the switch.
So what's the motivation to switch? If he's able to contribute then play him.

the motivation would be he can play but not at a high level essentially sitting on a scholly Harbaugh would then not be able to give out. That is what the underlying point of this is all about.

the motivation would be he can play but not at a high level essentially sitting on a scholly Harbaugh would then not be able to give out. That is what the underlying point of this is all about.
Correct...now seeing that he is a senior and Michigan is currently sitting at 82 schollies for 2015...with a couple more guys expected to leave before fall camp he is taking a schollie from a deserving walk on who is healthy and can play...oh the horror...Pip gets to stay in school for free (as a medical) and some walk on gets a one year reprieve from tuition...what a jerk that Harbaugh guy must be.

And as a preemptive strike...Michigan might add a couple more 5th year tranfers but they would need to add at least 4 to need that schollie...and because we are expecting to lose a few kids this summer we will be under the 85 limit next season no matter who we add

public (or media) perception, Ellobo, is a difficult horse to ride.
its not a local story or a PSU story, its a national story so good luck with that...
Understand...and it will be an interesting next few months...this will probably not be the last story like this....what I'm fully expecting is a couple stories about how some kid was told "he should find another school" when the real story is they were told if they don't want to get with the program that they might want to find a place that suits them better...the second one is tough love but it is not forcing a kid to do anything...it's giving a kid a choice

Not be able to give out? It wouldn't be used for a recruit. It would go to a walk on.

So what's the motivation to switch? If he's able to contribute then play him.
Who knows? For whatever reason, Harbaugh appears to have been looking for a way to force the kid off of the scholarship roster. He was cleared, Harbaugh wanted him to take a medical hardship, when he didn't the doctors had a change of heart and said. "Sorry, can't play." The sequence of events doesn't cast Harbaugh or UM in a favorable light, no matter what the reasons for them.

Who knows? For whatever reason, Harbaugh appears to have been looking for a way to force the kid off of the scholarship roster. He was cleared, Harbaugh wanted him to take a medical hardship, when he didn't the doctors had a change of heart and said. "Sorry, can't play." The sequence of events doesn't cast Harbaugh or UM in a favorable light, no matter what the reasons for them.
The story as told by the kid (one side of it) makes Harbaugh look bad...and that is the story ESPN is going with...the fact is the kid couldn't get through a single full practice this spring, was not able/cleared to go full pads and was eventually completely shut down by the medical staff before the end of spring...

The kid is upset...and the truth is this must suck for him...it is a dream crushed and must be devastating for him...but The blown out knees, shoulder and neck issues and multiple concussions are real...it is a risk putting this kid back on the field...I guess you could argue that some staffs might take that risk if he was say a returning first team AA but until Harbaugh proves to show that double standard you can't say he would...

ADVERTISEMENT