ADVERTISEMENT

Massimo, help!

Nobody is going to recommend a Range Rover on reliability or performance. Always at the tail end of the JD Powers survey. Look good though and has some street appeal. Audi Q5 or Q7 much better bang for the buck, best interior and strong residuals. At least with a '12 depreciation has already taken the biggest hit.

Not much more I can add that Katch' hasn't touched-on... I like to look at Range Rovers and Land Rovers - not sure how I'd like to have to rely on one.... But alas - sometimes you just need to follow your heart! Go fot it

Thanks guys. That comports with my expectations. Honestly, I believe the "repair ratings" are not as important as they once were because the margin between a great rating and a a poor one has been reduced. My wife drives an old Land Rover Discovery and it has had some problems with electric motors in the 12 years (windshield wiper and auto-windows) but the engine, tranny and body integrity are first rate. We will get $5000+ on a 13 year old car with 130,000 miles. There isn't a speck of rust on it.

The Range Rover is a step up. The thing is HUGE with a ton of cool capabilities. My wife loves it and we are getting a great deal on it. We've been looking for a GL450 but she likes the RR better than the 450. I don't mind shoveling out a few hundred bucks here and there for pain-in-the-butt items, but don't want to have to shell out several thousands or throw the car away due to rust in a couple of years. Also, certified until the end of 2017.

Thanks again.

I love their look, but my partner had a Discovery that seemed to always be having electrical issues, like the doors not working etc. He ended up getting the GL450, by the way.

LOL...well this is a Ranger Rover and not a Discovery (which isn't offered any longer). We'll see....the dealer certification is what sold me but the car selection is my wife's.

Again, thanks for the help .

I'd be willing to gamble, too. That's a great looking car.
land_rover_range_rover_hse_2012.jpg

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I just drove along side one of them yesterday and commented to my wife how much I liked their looks. Of course, it's meant for groceries, not wild game, so I'll have to pass.

I just drove along side one of them yesterday and commented to my wife how much I liked their looks. Of course, it's meant for groceries, not wild game, so I'll have to pass.
That's what I thought too. The manager invited me to an annual "off roading" trip that the dealership sponsors. He went through some of the features (ability to raise and lower the body for water, rocks, etc.). I would not put a car of this quality into that kind of situation but I don't have the kind of disposable income some have either!

There is a place in Maine called East Coast Rovers that take the tough safari style land rovers (defender 90, 109, 110, etc.) and modernizes them. It's salty, sometimes over 100K, but this would be better for off roading than the Range Rover, IMHO. Still, to spend that much and think that it would get all banged up would be too much for me to bear.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/ecrforsale.html

Designed for groceries?!?! You are kidding, right?

OK, I misspoke... of course the Range Rover is more than capable off road. My point was that if 98% of all SUV drivers never get off the paved road, then 99.99% of all Range Rover drivers never get off the paved road. Who wants to pay that much for a vehicle and then have a rock or tree limb gouge the heck out of it...

Reactions: demlion
OK, I misspoke... of course the Range Rover is more than capable off road. My point was that if 98% of all SUV drivers never get off the paved road, then 99.99% of all Range Rover drivers never get off the paved road. Who wants to pay that much for a vehicle and then have a rock or tree limb gouge the heck out of it...
It may as well be designed for groceries, because that is what it gets used for.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
It may as well be designed for groceries, because that is what it gets used for

That's what I meant. Certainly the mechanical offroad capabilities are there, but the styling is meant to attract affluent soccer moms who want to have a vehicle to drive to the country home on the weekends.

No offense intended to the OP or his wife.

The whole point, I think, is not to take it off road, but to make people think that's why you bought it. Throw some rally stickers on the back and people will think you're into some serious sh*t.
white.png

Last edited:
Reactions: furfoot
That's what I meant. Certainly the mechanical offroad capabilities are there, but the styling is meant to attract affluent soccer moms who want to have a vehicle to drive to the country home on the weekends.

No offense intended to the OP or his wife.

No different than Jeep, Suburbans, Silverados and F-150s.... As a Jalopnik I appreciate the underappreciated... Gimme honest vehicles such as Beetles, Bugeye Sprites, Volvo wagons (bricks) and all other longroofs, Saab 900s, and minivans :)

Bought a 2014 Durango back in January after I totaled my BMW 325xi. Just took it on some unpaved back roads this past weekend with the family in tow and we all had a blast (although after 6 times up and over the mountain through Gambrill State Park, Frederick Municipal Forest, and Cunningham Falls State Park my wife was getting a bit of vertigo)... didn't quite make it to Camp David, but we're already planning a trip through Thurmont, then heading NW into PA (Chambersburg then back through Gettysburg). Would love to get down to WV sometime this fall.

Reactions: demlion
Bought a 2014 Durango back in January after I totaled my BMW 325xi. Just took it on some unpaved back roads this past weekend with the family in tow and we all had a blast (although after 6 times up and over the mountain through Gambrill State Park, Frederick Municipal Forest, and Cunningham Falls State Park my wife was getting a bit of vertigo)... didn't quite make it to Camp David, but we're already planning a trip through Thurmont, then heading NW into PA (Chambersburg then back through Gettysburg). Would love to get down to WV sometime this fall.
I got some places you can hit that are pretty rugged. Of course, since you're going, I will ask you to hook up my trailer and collect a small number of tons of firewood for me.:)

A Durango works really great as a log skidder if you have the right chains and straps to secure the log. And, the bonus is your wife wont get vertigo while you are standing in shin-deep mud wondering how someone is going to get a bobcat in there to pull out your buried car. No worries.:)

ADVERTISEMENT