ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland success vs PSU in first B1G year

Can't speak to the other sports but MD in football looses six of their starting front seven on defense. On offense, they lose their starting QB and playmaking WR. They won a close game against a really depleted PSU team (for a lot of reasons). I'll be very surprised to see MD beat PSU anything in the next five years or so, unless something changes dramatically.

It will be interesting to see if MD can retain their four star QB recruit until LOI day.

I'm going to remember the no handshake for a long time. I hope the team and the coaching staff remember it too. For someone to come into a conference and that is how they behave in their first game, that says something very poor about the character of the Maryland program.

I don't know if this the year PSU can take it out on them -- PSU is still very young and still rebuilding from sanctions. But is coming. At some point Penn State is going to show Edsall what "rivalry" looks like.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
Rivalries can not be manufactured. The Big 10 tried that with the Land "something" trophy vs MSU. We do NOT have a rival !!! If anything it is PITT. But, that will only happen if we play them again EVERY year.

Must be because at this the time of year in Happy Valley there are no sports to report about, with the exception of the Spikes minor league team, is the reason that Mr. Poorman wrote this article.
Maryland didn't beat us last season; Mark Emmert did.

Last edited:
Games against Maryland in most sports could be a lot of fun as long as their athletes and fans don't act like their football team and coaches did in Beaver Stadium last year. What a bunch of jerkoffs they were.

Reactions: 71camaro
Rivalries can not be manufactured. The Big 10 tried that with the Land "something" trophy vs MSU. We do NOT have a rival !!! If anything it is PITT. But, that will only happen if we play them again EVERY year.
You must not talk to Rutgers fans. They beat us once upon a time. Therefore = RIVALRY!!!!!

I smell a legitimate rivalry brewing.

Really? Based on 1 season? I think that's somewhat silly on a number of levels.

IMHO, I don't see a huge rivalry with MD, though there will be some rivalries in certain sports.

Men:
Non-rivalry
- wrestling: Maryland is not even close to PSU, and not likely to be remotely close for years
- football: Maryland got a big win for them last year. In 10 years, it may be one of the only games they win. MD use to be a good challenge for PSU in football, but it's unlikely to be all that competitive in future years
- basketball: Chambers is building something, and in times this may become a rivalry. At this stage, that seems a few years away
Rivalry
- soccer: both teams are elite, so this is likely to become a rivalry
- lacrosse: PSU is good, and has an excellent coach. MD is usually one of the elite teams. This could evolve into a rivalry

Women:
Non-rivalry
- gymnastics: PSU is among the elite, while MD is not at that level
- tennis: honestly, I haven't a clue about either program, so I'm putting them as non-rivals
- volleyball: PSU is the top program in the country, and its rivals are the elite B1G teams and Texas, Stanford, and a few others
- softball: perhaps in time. PSU's coach is overhauling what the former coach had established
Rivalry
- lacrosse: MD is one of the top teams in the country. PSU is top 5-10. Likely to become a rivalry
- soccer: both teams are among the elite, so this is likely to become a rivalry
- field hockey: they both recruit from the same areas, and are among the elites, so this could become a rivalry
- basketball: hard to say for sure. PSU is coming off their worst season in quite some time. MD is usually one of the better teams. If PSU returns to their typical state, this could become a rivalry

All it will take for it to be a "rivalry" is for them to re-learn how it feels to get their asses beat, home and away, forever. BTW, if the game gets ugly we do not want to hear a bunch of crybaby bullshit from them, either.

Yes. Pitt is the only one. Just wait till 2016 and see if no one cares.

The antipathy for Penn State is manifested in non-handshakes and many other ways on and off the fields of competition. This is seen within the conference administration, the stands and parking lots, the papers, radio, and television. Get used to the black hat, because we're wearing it from here out.

I agree with Victor. Do you think Maryland would have tried and gotten away with such a gesture to the Buckeyes? Diggs would have his helmet knocked 40 yards the first time he touched the ball ... and the message would be sent loud and clear to the Terp Perps. But PSU has to play nice because somebody might throw the "enabler" card.

We have seen Delaney and/or his administration apologize publicly for refs who made wrong calls against any team not wearing white helmets.

We have seen Delaney and/or his administration go to bat for a team that used ineligible players, pleading with the NCAA to delay punishment ... but no such support for a program and players who weren't even involved with Penn State in 2001.

We have seen Delaney and/or his administration allow a school on probation allowed to keep its share of bowl revenue without issue ... then see same bowl shares denied Penn State for the actions of an ex-employee and no players.

We have seen Delaney and/or his administration delay Penn State's entrance into football competition for 4 years ... yet Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers can play immediately upon acceptance.

Victor is right ... but we've been wearing that black hat since 1989.

Reactions: fortheglory94
Maryland didn't beat us last season; Mark Emmert did.

A fumbled kick helped. So did Franklin's decision to keep the ball on the ground and punt (with our bad punter) to Maryland (with their great kicker).

Maryland barely won on the scoreboard and unquestionably lost on the field. Let's call it 1-1 since their entrance into the B1G, 34-2-1 in the 37 meetings prior. Anyone who thinks that constitutes, or even begins to constitute, a rivalry is clearly very, very desperate for Marlyand to have a B1G rival. I suggest Maryland look a little more in a Northeast direction to Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT