ADVERTISEMENT

Mad Men Finale - your thoughts?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Well they wrapped up several character's futures, or at least show you what direction they were heading but in the end - what happens to Don. Is the Coke jingle his way back to the NY ad business? What ere we lead to believe will happen to him?

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I loved the ending. Wrapped up a lot of characters better than I expected. Good for Peggy and Joan. Good for Pete. Good for Roger.

And yes, I believe the takeaway was that Don created the Coke jingle, one of the best-known ad campaigns of all time. The little "ding" and smile indicated as much to me.

I'm not so sure that Don created the Coke ad, and that's the beauty of the ending. That's the obvious first take, given the cuts. People will talk about it.

However, I felt like Don "found" himself, and remains "retired" in a bit of a hippie existence. He puts advertising (and the mistakes he made in his personal life) "behind him," as he brought up again tonight, and like he advised Peggy when she gave up her baby. He finally forgave himself, and the breakthrough was in the group encounter when he related to what the other man said.

Peggy decided not to go into business with Joan, and stayed at McCann. Pete tipped it off earlier... he said one day people would brag about having worked with her. Why? Because she stayed at McCann, who has the Coke account, and she created the ad. So, while I can see why people would interpret that Don did the ad, I don't think so.

I loved the ending. Wrapped up a lot of characters better than I expected. Good for Peggy and Joan. Good for Pete. Good for Roger.

And yes, I believe the takeaway was that Don created the Coke jingle, one of the best-known ad campaigns of all time. The little "ding" and smile indicated as much to me.

Agreed! Excellent ending and one that had been floating around the rumor mill for a while - Don (or Peggy; but almost certainly Don in this case) creates one of the most famous, and successful, ad campaigns of all time - the Coke jingle. I liked that I didn't have to see Betty's funeral (and her phone call with Don was devastating to watch) and that Peggy and Pete reconciled ('A thing like that!'), Pete and Trudy made their way to the midwest, Roger and Megan's Mom appear to be living it up in Montreal (or Paris?), Joan is a BOSS, and Peggy and Stan found each other (and Gene finally said something!). I think I would have preferred seeing Don deliver the jingle as a pitch though his sly smile at the end mostly made up for it. Good show, gents!

I'm not so sure that Don created the Coke ad, and that's the beauty of the ending. That's the obvious first take, given the cuts. People will talk about it.

However, I felt like Don "found" himself, and remains "retired" in a bit of a hippie existence. He puts advertising (and the mistakes he made in his personal life) "behind him," as he brought up again tonight, and like he advised Peggy when she gave up her baby. He finally forgave himself, and the breakthrough was in the group encounter when he related to what the other man said.

Peggy decided not to go into business with Joan, and stayed at McCann. Pete tipped it off earlier... he said one day people would brag about having worked with her. Why? Because she stayed at McCann, who has the Coke account, and she created the ad. So, while I can see why people would interpret that Don did the ad, I don't think so.

This is certainly a solid interpretation - though Peggy said McCann would take Don back in a second (and again, the sly smile he had at the end just before the jingle is played sort of makes me think he was responsible). Of course, Peggy makes sense too.

Yeah, I can see it not being him, Weiner clearly left it open to interpretation. At the very least, I was happy to see Don find what appears to be some kind of peace, seeing that he's not alone in feeling the way he does. So regardless of whether he created the Coke ad, I was happy with how they concluded his character, given where he appeared headed for quite a while.

Also, the one line from Betty was absolutely devastating: "I want to keep things as normal as possible Don, and you not being here is part of that."

I thought sure he was killing himself after that.

Well they wrapped up several character's futures, or at least show you what direction they were heading but in the end - what happens to Don. Is the Coke jungle his way back to the NY ad business? What ere we lead to believe will happen to him?

I liked the series finale. A Don Draper in touch with feelings is now unstoppable. think of how he suppressed his feelings all those years. So I thought Don creates the Coke jingle. But I checked and the "It's the Real Thing" commercial/jingle was created in 1971. Wasn't this last episode taking place in the early 70s, so pre-Don's come back? Did we have small color TVs--kitchen size--like Joan had in her dining room in this episode in the late 60s/early 70s? Those are details that should not take away from the artistry of the finale.
My bottom line -- Don is back, comfortable in his own skin, not spending so much time squelching his past and his real feelings. He is now back and takes Coke in this new-age direction. What do you think of the following scenarios:
1. Don hooks up with the nice blonde in his therapy session (the earth mother one, not the Whitman girl), he stays in the West Coast and ushers in a new wave of ads for McCann, including "It' the Real Thing"
2. Don goes back to NY to rejoin McCann and leads the Coke team and other old time McCann clients in a new direction, while gaining custody of his kids.
3. Don stays in retirement, on the West Coast, and no longer works.

I go with no. 1, but no. 2 is very plausible.

Yeah, I can see it not being him, Weiner clearly left it open to interpretation. At the very least, I was happy to see Don find what appears to be some kind of peace, seeing that he's not alone in feeling the way he does. So regardless of whether he created the Coke ad, I was happy with how they concluded his character, given where he appeared headed for quite a while.

Don makes more sense though - he was McCann's 'golden child' and the ad hit in 1971 - no way Peggy worked her way into a position to deliver that ad in less than a year (in terms of where the show was when Don was in California).

I think Don had to have some hand in it...the iconic Coke ad. How could he not have? He's at a retreat...then a bunch of hippies sing about Coke...in a set eerily like where Don was. That is too much of a coincidence. Personal experiences often inform what people do at work. I also believe Peggy would have had a hand in it given Pete's prediction that people would brag about having worked with her.

This is certainly a solid interpretation - though Peggy said McCann would take Don back in a second (and again, the sly smile he had at the end just before the jingle is played sort of makes me think he was responsible). Of course, Peggy makes sense too.
I think the sly smile was him forgiving and letting go of the past, not that he created the Coke ad. I think the Coke machine scene in an earlier episode was a red herring. All of the stuff earlier about him coming back, also red herring. Stan said it on the phone with Peggy--you have to let him go. That doesn't mean you don't care about him.

But, this is exactly what Weiner wanted, I'm sure. People to talk about it and not know for sure. Then in 10 years he tells us. Maybe.

I think Don had to have some hand in it...the iconic Coke ad. How could he not have? He's at a retreat...then a bunch of hippies sing about Coke...in a set eerily like where Don was. That is too much of a coincidence. Personal experiences often inform what people do at work. I also believe Peggy would have had a hand in it given Pete's prediction that people would brag about having worked with her.

For sure and no way to know with any certainty. And, I'm pretty okay with that. ;)

I think the sly smile was him forgiving and letting go of the past, not that he created the Coke ad. I think the Coke machine scene in an earlier episode was a red herring. All of the stuff earlier about him coming back, also red herring. Stan said it on the phone with Peggy--you have to let him go. That doesn't mean you don't care about him.

But, this is exactly what Weiner wanted, I'm sure. People to talk about it and not know for sure. Then in 10 years he tells us. Maybe.

Interesting; Don said something similar when Sally was on the phone discussing Betty's illness - that she's a hypochondriac and not to go overboard. Truth is Don - and Stan, didn't know what they were really dealing with IMO.

Interesting; Don said something similar when Sally was on the phone discussing Betty's illness - that she's a hypochondriac and not to go overboard. Truth is Don - and Stan, didn't know what they were really dealing with IMO.
True, but you're taking it literal. I'm just saying that was foreshadowing in the script.

I understand the arguments for Don, including the fact that women at McCann weren't taken as seriously then. I just think the Don interpretation is too obvious for this show, which is why I prefer the Peggy interpretation.

On the other hand, the show has always stayed away from using real campaigns in the show, despite having real clients and (some) real agencies. They've always managed to avoid re-writing history and assigning credit for actual commercials to fictional characters. So it is a bit odd they would do that in the final episode, with one of the most popular commercials of all time. Maybe neither of them were responsible, and that was the end credits music, albeit without the end credits. You noticed that this episode didn't have a pop song over the end credits for a change.

True, but you're taking it literal. I'm just saying that was foreshadowing in the script.

I understand the arguments for Don, including the fact that women at McCann weren't taken as seriously then. I just think the Don interpretation is too obvious for this show, which is why I prefer the Peggy interpretation.

On the other hand, the show has always stayed away from using real campaigns in the show, despite having real clients and (some) real agencies. They've always managed to avoid re-writing history and assigning credit for actual commercials to fictional characters. So it is a bit odd they would do that in the final episode, with one of the most popular commercials of all time. Maybe neither of them were responsible, and that was the end credits music, albeit without the end credits. You noticed that this episode didn't have a pop song over the end credits for a change.

Well, it's fun to discuss - and McCann-Erickson was a real agency who did deliver the Coke jingle to the world (note, Don Draper was not credited with creating the ad). Still, everything points to Don - he can't quit the ad game (he's tried before), he's in the perfect position to leverage his own personal experience into a captivating ad (Peggy is nowhere near a hippie retreat spreading love/peace), and he smirks just as the show ends and closes with the ad. Maybe Peggy has some role, but the pieces are there for Don to hit it out of the park.

I just felt that ending on the hippie commune/therapy center was very cliché and a cheap way out.

I just felt that ending on the hippie commune/therapy center was very cliché and a cheap way out.

Maybe we don't get much resolution with Don, but I think that's what the phone call with Betty (and Peggy) and his reaction to the guy in 'group sharing' session was supposed to be - Don sort of connecting emotionally with people instead of in some superficial or self destructive way. He's clean at this point and could leave the commune anytime. He sticks it out even after Stephanie leaves probably not knowing that his experience would lead to the Coke ad. This for me was a great, and unexpected ending. Him dying would have been the most cliche thing ever.

I disagree, to have the slick, corporate Ad Man, finally realize the errors of his ways and find enlightenment among hippies is the ultimate Hollywood cop out.

I don't see how and why people are taking the inclusion of the Hilltop commercial as a sign that Draper was involved with the commercial. It's merely just another season ending song that reflects the mood and the state of affairs of Don Draper. Don finds enlightenment and harmony among the commune, as expressed in the saccharine song of the Coke commercial. The use of it is a good, ironic stab at the corporate cash in on the counter culture movement.

Go back and look at some of the past season ending somgs. Season One, Draper comes home to an empty house and 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright' plays. Seaon Three, Don and Betty separate and the season ends to 'Shahdaroba' by the king of melancholy, Roy Orbison. Season Four, Draper's just married the hot secretary,,cue up 'I've Got You Babe.' Season Six, 'Both Sides now' as Don takes his kids back to the now abandoned whorehouse where he grew up.

I disagree, to have the slick, corporate Ad Man, finally realize the errors of his ways and find enlightenment among hippies is the ultimate Hollywood cop out.

I don't see how and why people are taking the inclusion of the Hilltop commercial as a sign that Draper was involved with the commercial. It's merely just another season ending song that reflects the mood and the state of affairs of Don Draper. Don finds enlightenment and harmony among the commune, as expressed in the saccharine song of the Coke commercial. The use of it is a good, ironic stab at the corporate cash in on the counter culture movement.

Go back and look at some of the past season ending somgs. Season One, Draper comes home to an empty house and 'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright' plays. Seaon Three, Don and Betty separate and the season ends to 'Shahdaroba' by the king of melancholy, Roy Orbison. Season Four, Draper's just married the hot secretary,,cue up 'I've Got You Babe.' Season Six, 'Both Sides now' as Don takes his kids back to the now abandoned whorehouse where he grew up.

Yeah, but this didn't just end with a song, it ended by showing you the ad that was so famous. And with working for coke being referred to repeatedly throughout the season and that very episode. And the wry smile during the meditation. Obviously it's left for each of our interpretations, but there's plenty of clues there.

Oh, and check out the front desk girl from the retreat's look in this episode compared with the first girl shown in the coke ad. Red ribbons in two long ponytails, similar shirt.

Last edited:
Loved Mad Men, and liked the final episode.

Peggy and Stan -- didn't see that coming, but that was fine. I was wondering why Stan was playing a more prominent role in the final episodes, so I guess Weiner was setting this up.

Pete and Trudy -- liked that; Pete became better and better as a business person and planner through the series, and ends up with a great job; Trudy was always supportive, and a hottie, too; lots of scenes of her in a nightie. Roger and Marie -- that made me smile; he finally hooked up with someone who wouldn't take his crap; he takes her to a hotel, they have an argument, and she throws him out of the bedroom.

Don -- he gets in touch with his feelings, and yeah, I think it's him behind the Coke jingle. A healthier Don would also get involved with his kids again, so it's good to think he would be there for Sally, Bobby, and Gene as they dealt with losing their Mom and growing up.

If there's a spin-off, or a reunion show years down the line, it might be about Sally. Good character, and Kiernan Shipka was terrific.

For now, we finish with a Coke and a smile.

Last edited:

Girl from front desk, girl from coke ad. Don definitely created the coke ad drawing from his experiences at the Big Sur retreat.

RMj0zln.jpg

Overall I liked it, but was surprised so many stories (seemingly) wrapped up. Of course, we don't know what actually happened... no flash forwards. Pete could cheat on Trudy again, Peggy could get stifled at McCann, Joan's business may not be able to get enough clients, etc.

The one thing I didn't like was Stan and Peggy. Felt like Weiner bowed to fan desires. I never saw a spark with them, always saw them as just good friends and colleagues. Although, the whole insulting each other as a way to deflect from saying your true feelings does make sense.

I think the point is Don didn't learn his lesson or become enlightened - he once again bastardized a personal experience for advertising gain; monetizing his nostalgia or feelings for a certain event or experience. He's the guy in the credits - falling through life while everything crumbles around him yet still ending up in his Creative Director chair. The ending is certainly a cynical one when viewed through that lens.

Reactions: tgar
Maybe we don't get much resolution with Don, but I think that's what the phone call with Betty (and Peggy) and his reaction to the guy in 'group sharing' session was supposed to be - Don sort of connecting emotionally with people instead of in some superficial or self destructive way. He's clean at this point and could leave the commune anytime. He sticks it out even after Stephanie leaves probably not knowing that his experience would lead to the Coke ad. This for me was a great, and unexpected ending. Him dying would have been the most cliche thing ever.

Can someone explain to me what Don's connection was, or why/how he related, to the the guy at the retreat? The guy was talking about how he felt plain and invisible to everyone around him -- But that's a problem that I wouldn't think to which Don would/could relate. Don was a popular guy that could (and did) communicate well with everyone around him. McCann-Erickson spent years trying to get him. Don's problems seem to be related to a problem that is the opposite of the guy sitting in the session at the retreat. What am I missing?

Overall I liked it, but was surprised so many stories (seemingly) wrapped up. Of course, we don't know what actually happened... no flash forwards. Pete could cheat on Trudy again, Peggy could get stifled at McCann, Joan's business may not be able to get enough clients, etc.

The one thing I didn't like was Stan and Peggy. Felt like Weiner bowed to fan desires. I never saw a spark with them, always saw them as just good friends and colleagues. Although, the whole insulting each other as a way to deflect from saying your true feelings does make sense.

Stan and Peggy have been circling each other for years. Remember the time they locked themselves in a hotel room and stripped to their undies? And he's always the first person she calls about something. It did feel a bit rushed, but you could see it coming, especially after their conversation a couple of weeks ago.

I think the point is Don didn't learn his lesson or become enlightened - he once again bastardized a personal experience for advertising gain; monetizing his nostalgia or feelings for a certain event or experience. He's the guy in the credits - falling through life while everything crumbles around him yet still ending up in his Creative Director chair. The ending is certainly a cynical one when viewed through that lens.

yeah, could be. But I see a kinder, gentler Don at the end. He's lost a lot -- his job (at least for the time being), his second marriage, a big chunk of money to Megan, his fancy apartment, his car, etc. But he does come in closer touch with his feelings; he gets out into the world outside of Madison Avenue and goes through an encounter session where he breaks down and hugs another man going through hard times, a rare selfless action that the old Don wouldn't have done.

So he may still make a fortune by designing a clever add to help sell flavored water---yeah, that's not Mother Teresa territory, but he's a guy who has fallen to earth and come down a better person overall.

Just my .02 -- any decent ending has to be one that people keep talking about, so Weiner has achieved that.

Reactions: cronk
I think Don's appearance at the end showed he had put himself back together. He has looked disheveled the past few episodes. In the final seen his hair is in place and although he is meditating he is in a fitted shirt. Obviously, Dick is back to being Don.

Oh, and check out Stephanie's look in this episode compared with the first girl shown in the coke ad. Red ribbons in two long ponytails, similar shirt.
Someone had a question about the timeline in the finale. There was a reference to the Manson murders, which took place in the summer of 1969, and in Joan's final scene there was a big calendar in her dining room office indicating that it was June 1970.

I think absolutely that Don did the Coke ad; we see Don meditating in bliss, fade out and then fade in into the Coke ad. Cincy's observation of the similarity of Stephanie's clothes with what is seen in the Coke ad (which I did not myself spot) clinches it for me.

Can someone explain to me what Don's connection was, or why/how he related, to the the guy at the retreat? The guy was talking about how he felt plain and invisible to everyone around him -- But that's a problem that I wouldn't think to which Don would/could relate. Don was a popular guy that could (and did) communicate well with everyone around him. McCann-Erickson spent years trying to get him. Don's problems seem to be related to a problem that is the opposite of the guy sitting in the session at the retreat. What am I missing?

The invisible part wasn't what I thought he connected it, it was the feeling of being unable to feel loved. Don is always looking for love, but when he has it, he doesn't really feel it and looks elsewhere to fill that void. So I think he connected with that guy's loneliness.

Reactions: BlueBand
Someone had a question about the timeline in the finale. There was a reference to the Manson murders, which took place in the summer of 1969, and in Joan's final scene there was a big calendar in her dining room office indicating that it was June 1970.

I think absolutely that Don did the Coke ad; we see Don meditating in bliss, fade out and then fade in into the Coke ad. Cincy's observation of the similarity of Stephanie's clothes with what is seen in the Coke ad (which I did not myself spot) clinches it for me.

Corrected my post after reading Smail's post, it was the front desk girl at the retreat rather than Stephanie. But yeah, I think that was a definite indicator from Weiner of who created it.

I was late to this series. My wife watched it faithfully, but I never got into it until the last 3 episodes. That was enough to make me regret not starting it sooner. I'll take some time this summer and watch it from the beginning. Certainly quality programming.

I didn't notice the calendar, but there were a number of Halloween decorations at McCann, so that hints at October 1970. So it would make sense that Joan would be up and running with her new business in June 1971?

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that Don did the Coke ad. Using the ad itself makes it clear. If the ad was shown and the correct interpretation is that Don didn't do the ad, then it amounts to tricking the audience, which hasn't been the shows MO all along. That would be as dumb as the Don is DB Cooper theory that some wanted to happen for some reason.

The invisible part wasn't what I thought he connected it, it was the feeling of being unable to feel loved. Don is always looking for love, but when he has it, he doesn't really feel it and looks elsewhere to fill that void. So I think he connected with that guy's loneliness.

Ahh... That makes sense. Thanks.

Reactions: bytir
The idea behind advertising is to make the consumer think that buying your product --a bar of soap, a car, a soft drink--will fill a need in his life. Don connected with the traditional needs of the early and mid-Sixties--success, money, prestige, sex--but as the Sixties wore on he realized he no longer understood the needs of the consumer. Now he understands that people are looking for meaning, understanding, connection, etc. and he's prepared to exploit those needs with a Coke ad.

Don never changed.

The idea behind advertising is to make the consumer think that buying your product --a bar of soap, a car, a soft drink--will fill a need in his life. Don connected with the traditional needs of the early and mid-Sixties--success, money, prestige, sex--but as the Sixties wore on he realized he no longer understood the needs of the consumer. Now he understands that people are looking for meaning, understanding, connection, etc. and he's prepared to exploit those needs with a Coke ad.

This is really good, CDW3333. I think you nailed the entire theme of the show with your post.

Don never changed.

I can see that, I'm just choosing not to take the cynical view. He was selling what he wanted in the 60s. Now, after figuring some things out, he's selling what he's come to learn, those more important things. He finally changed with the times, and it's reflected in his work.

The cynical interpretation is certainly plausible though. Just not how I want to think of it ending.

This is really good, CDW3333. I think you nailed the entire theme of the show with your post.
Yes, but Don has changed. He hasn't changed in the sense that he's still an advertising man at heart which is CDW's basic premise, but the old Don Draper would not have been capable of coming up with the Coke ad.

Don never changed.

I like that interpretation.

ADVERTISEMENT