ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of PSU info in this PennLive article ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
including this nugget from Casey Cunningham on recruiting:

"Cunningham expects "six or seven" more wrestlers to commit" (for this year's class).

CLICK HERE to read the article.

We've discussed this before - there HAS to be at least 6 kids (not including Law, makes 7) coming on board this year as walk ons, there is room for more, but you would think they would be getting at least 6 with all the open roster spots. Very surprised there hasn't been anything out there yet leaked - but given that these kids aren't getting much, if anything, I guess it is wait and see, there are a lot of variables out there that could cause things to be held off being announced, but not that much longer.

Since I would expect most of these kids will be from PA, I went through the PAPower Top 300 to see what was out there. Not a ton down low, but a little bit interesting up high:

Tommy Rayhart - would be a great late get as a walkon/books guy
Omar Haddad - my guess is he is looking to play football somewhere though
Josh Yeboah Gyasi/Upper Darby - only wrestling since 7th/8th grade, would have placed this year at states, but was injured in Region final vs. Jordan Wood
Zach Dorsey/SpringFord - Huge manchild, not much wrestling experience
Ezra Outlaw/Pennridge - good athlete, maybe some potential although kinda short for 285

I also like the Giannangeli kid from Franklin Regional - especially if he projects to be a 33 or 41 for career. Todd Hetrick from Northampton also.

I like would like Evan Wilson a lot also, but only if he was really committed to wrestling in college and I'm not sure this is the case.

Bakhirev from Scranton is tough, but a middle weight. I'd expect that a couple of the walkons are going to be in the middle even though we are stacked.

Not much that projects at 125 at least from a wrestling accomplishment standpoint. Haven't seen all the kids, but the ones I've seen don't jump out as outstanding athletes, but maybe there is an untapped one out there.

Hopefully there's at least one 285 lber among those six or seven.

After Rayhart, the next 4 kids could all project at 285 in my post above. If I had to pick one as a walk-on, I'd go with Yeboah-Gyasi, but he is a long way away from contributing. Haddad would probably be the most ready to go right now if needed.

Would love Rayhart, Steffenino, and convincing Jan to wrestle.

Giannangeli is intriguing. Probably the product of wrestling with so many studs making you better. Only lost to Coy and Elvin at States, could be worth a flier.

I'd also keep my eyes on Matt Grossman in the future...regardless if he goes D1 or not

Giannangeli is intriguing. Probably the product of wrestling with so many studs making you better. Only lost to Coy and Elvin at States, could be worth a flier.

I'd also keep my eyes on Matt Grossman in the future...regardless if he goes D1 or not

Giangelli from FR would be an interesting project in the PSU room. Best athlete in the FR room and was a 3 sport athlete (football and lacrosse) since he was a little kid. Missed beginning of 3 HS Wrestling seasons due to football injuries. He has tons of upside as wrestling was most likely his 3rd sport and will now be able to focus.

Steffenino was heading to Shippensburg - I believe El Jefe reported hearing that a month or so ago.

Wasn't aware that Grossman was considering a move to D1. D3 National Champ this year as a true frosh - was a stud the two years he competed at ETR - knocking off Kent Lane and Alex Rinaldi last year.

What Dice said.

Steffenino is headed to Ship, confirmed.

Speaking of ships ... Jan Johnson's has sailed. Wrestling is no longer an option, unless he fails at football. I doubt anybody truly wants him to lose his dream. Past time for us to let this go.

A few other PA heavies who I believe are still available:
- Saul Wilkins, W-B GAR 285: started wrestling last year and qualified for states. This year was Beast runner-up (to Bo Spiller) and AA 3rd (lost in the semis to Allan Beattie).
- Andrew Phelps, North East 220: S7 last year, 7-0 this year with 4 pins + 3 FFTs. Took 285 4th at the Ohio Tournament of Champions after missing the PA postseason. Some potential, but health and maturity concerns may be too much.
- Zeynul Zaynullayev, Mt. Lebanon 285: Stout's teammate. R2/S8 last year, Powerade 6th this year before a season-ending knee injury. A real tank -- a good 5 inches shorter than Stout.
- Ian Wolfe, Jeff Morgan 285: S4, though a project (finished with 16 losses).

There are 3 national-level upperweights likely still available -- not sure if there is any interest in or from these guys:
- Josh Colegrove, 220 from Michigan
- Tyree Sutton, 195 from NJ
- Dustin Mason, 285 from Oklahoma

Colegrove would be a serious coup if available and interested. He's up there with Andrew Dunn as a prospect, easily the best available heavy. Frankly, I'm shocked he's still out there, but I can't find anything on him committing for either wrestling or football.

Last edited:
wonder why Nico isn't wrestling next week (in Vegas)... anyone know?
Not sure if he's wrestling or not. For some reason USA Wrestling makes it very difficult to find out who is wrestling in any of their events until just a few days before the event. It's one of (not nearly the only) the reasons I never even consider going to freestyle events unless they are close by. Just found out yesterday Burroughs isn't going to wrestle. If I had already booked and paid for a flight, hotel, etc. to Vegas to the tune of probably about $1,000 I would be REALLY poed.

Not sure if he's wrestling or not. For some reason USA Wrestling makes it very difficult to find out who is wrestling in any of their events until just a few days before the event. It's one of (not nearly the only) the reasons I never even consider going to freestyle events unless they are close by. Just found out yesterday Burroughs isn't going to wrestle. If I had already booked and paid for a flight, hotel, etc. to Vegas to the tune of probably about $1,000 I would be REALLY poed.
thanks - good info!

ADVERTISEMENT