ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Nico answered the Olympic Redshirt question.

PHClub

Jul 25, 2013
I think this Tweet from Nico gives a pretty good indication of his plans for next year. "Ncaas and then Olympic trials 3 weeks later! That month is gonna be some FUN!!!"

Or he is just messing with us! AHAHA

My apologies, I didn't realize he had already addressed it. As usual, I am a little behind.

It's been mentioned previously but I have it on pretty good authority that it is already shaping up to be ....

Nico,Jc, jimmy g, Z-pain, nolf to be your first 5

BoNic is filling out to go w big frame @ 174

NN healing as planned but depth big issue. Our backup 197 will be back up hwt if it hits the fan

It's been mentioned previously but I have it on pretty good authority that it is already shaping up to be ....

NN healing as planned but depth big issue. Our backup 197 will be back up hwt if it hits the fan

Any insight on 165 with Rasheed or Hammond?

I think if Rasheed can make the weight, he will be the starter. I heard the same thing about the first 5 in the lineup from a reliable source. Looking like:
Megaludis, Conaway, Gulibon, Retherford, Nolf, Rasheed, Nickal, McCutch, McIntosh and Nevills.

Hoping to see some recruits committing for 125 and 133 soon. We need some in the worst way. Red and Pletcher would be ideal and then they can move to 133/141 when Spencer comes in the following year at 125

Any insight on 165 with Rasheed or Hammond?

A wrestle off before the season will most likely decide the winner of that weight. Thrilled with 125 to 157... ecstatic with the possibilities from 174 to Heavyweight. Hope that the Matt McCutcheon late season "switch being turned on" bodes well for the 2015 season. He has all the physical ability. Win against the #3 seed, Stauffer from ASU was a big win for MM going into this coming season.

Morgan McIntosh showed he can be a constant elite wrestler when pushing the action. He beat Kyle Snyder, J'Den Cox and beat down Scott Shiller three times to end the season with offensive aggressiveness. Loved MM's big win over Kyle Snyder at Big Ten's. Changed tactics and the results changed.

Ankle picked J'Den Cox with less than :15 seconds at Nationals to beat the returning champ. Impressive work from Mac. I was always waiting for Mac to open it up and scrap the two handed collar ties. He's too quick for 100% of 197lbers out there. He needed to take his offensive weapons and use them. And he did. Would love for him to have a Matt Brown season close out next season. Can't wait to see a healthy Nick Nevills hopefully develop into the heavyweight Penn States needed since the likes of Kerry McCoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Owen/BWI staff

Interesting stuff, dunk. Your sources have proven to be pretty good in the past. I still find this somewhat surprising. I think it's the best lineup at those weights for the team, though I do wonder if it's the best for JC and for JG. To me, JC is better at 125 than he is at 133. That said, he's not beating Nico, so he heads to 133. That's the weight where I question the lineup. I think JG is better at 133 than he would be at 141. Last year (not this past season), he seemed really undersized against the older 133ers. I thought he improved in that area this past season, but he also had trouble against some of the long and lean guys that could also move. In that regard, I just don't see 141 being a better weight for him. From the team perspective, it works very well, in that I don't think Beitz can get down to 141, so there really aren't any great options if Zain does move up to 149 (which seems to be indicated by many in the know). If this is how it plays out, it will be a pretty formidable start of the order for PSU. Only downside is that Beitz gets left by the wayside. At this point, I don't think anyone would argue that he's at the same level as the 5 you listed, but he has been steadily improving while at PSU. He was significantly better this past season than he was the previous season.

What I expected, but still very nice to read.

Also good to read that NN is healing as expected. I also worry about foot injuries with guys that carry a lot of weight. It's unfortunate that the injury occurred when it did, as it cost him a lot of practice time. Depth behind NN is an issue that anyone analyzing the roster can see. We've been kind of spoiled in recent years with LawDog and Gingrich there, and almost interchangeable, as both suffered injuries but I don't recall them ever both injured at the same time.

To me, JC is better at 125 than he is at 133.

Agree completely. Plus I think Nico's chances at a NC are pretty equivalent at 125 or 133. That said, he's the man, so it's his choice where he's going to go.

I think JG is better at 133 than he would be at 141. Last year (not this past season), he seemed really undersized against the older 133ers.

Disagree here. I had the same impression, but often weight management issues can give this result. It seems counter intuitive, but often you see guys that are sucking a lot of weight looking smaller and weaker than their opponents (especially if they are not long). I think JGs improvement this past year was enhanced by better weight management - and reading the tea leaves of the coaches comments, you could certainly infer that - and given an offseason he should fare just as well at 41. Given the landscape of the weight nationally, he could do even better there than at 33. He's quick, strong and technical - that should play well at 141 for him.

I am very happy to read this from dunk, as I think it will be our 2nd strongest lineup (IMO, JC at 125, Nico at 133 would be stronger - but that is only given my guess that Nico is as likely to win at 133 as 125). Unfortunate for Beitz, as he has really improved, but he is not at the level of the other guys.

I like Beitz, but I liked him more at the beginning of the season because of upside potential. That being said, he was very good with an ankle pick to get the first takedown, but he seemed to have trouble holding a lead and finishing off against the better wrestlers. Perhaps he was undersized at 149.

Assuming weight is not an issue, the best lineup is Nico 125, Conaway 133.

Too lazy to do the math again, but it goes something like this:
- Nico 125: Nico wins the title and piles up bonus. Conaway R12, possibly low AA.
- Conaway 125: Nico 1st-3rd, Conaway 6th-8th. Not much bonus for either.

The takeaway: Nico's floor is higher at 125, and his ceiling is higher due to bonus points. Conaway's dropoff at 133 is small -- less than the extra bonus by keeping Nico at 125.

Reactions: barpsu
- Nico 125: Nico wins the title and piles up bonus. Conaway R12, possibly low AA.
- Conaway 125: Nico 1st-3rd, Conaway 6th-8th. Not much bonus for either.

The takeaway: Nico's floor is higher at 125, and his ceiling is higher due to bonus points. Conaway's dropoff at 133 is small -- less than the extra bonus by keeping Nico at 125.

Logically, you are correct. Just something inside me is worried about this. For some reason, I am more comfortable with Nico's shot winning it at 133 next year - or at least, equally as comfortable.

Just a gut thing for me, but if I had my druthers I'd rather see Nico take his shot at 133 next year. I'm probably way off, but I'm more comfortable with him facing the guys I see coming back at 133. Some of the young guns at 125 worry me.

The only guy at either weight who concerns me (about Nico) is Garrett, and he's likely going 133.

Tomasello is the only other guy who I think is in Nico's class, and I don't see Nico losing to him. (Assuming Brewer bumps up to 141 as expected.)

Guys tend to make a bigger jump in their 2nd - and sometimes 3rd year - rather than later in their careers. Tomasello concerns me. Dance is close at times, if he takes the next step he could be very formidable, very talented. Moisey is a supreme athlete - no, I don't think he's close to Nico at all - but he has Henson there, a big dose of confidence - who knows what he will be like next year.

Garrett would concern me more, but he has been troubled with injury. Once that starts happening it can be difficult to get back on track. I'd like to see him wrestling at a high level again before I'm more worried about him than Tomasello. I don't see anyone else at 33 who is as near as talented. Brewer is huge but by all accounts is on the way to 41. Clark has a matchup problem with Nico, I think Gilman would keep it closer (although I don't see Gilman beating him either). The rest - I don't see anyone at 33 causing him problems. Maybe Hall.

IDK, maybe it's just a bad feeling a get, as a lot of people are assuming it will be easy at 25 for Nico because guys cleared out. It rarely works out that way.

Reactions: jtothemfp
ADVERTISEMENT