ADVERTISEMENT

Letter from PSU Office of Giving, and My Response

B_Levinson

Jun 27, 2014
Did anybody else get "Let Your Future Burn Bright This October" regarding estate planning?

I responded that, while I would like to leave money to support Penn State's educational mission, I would not leave money if the Board of Trustees has any control whatsoever in how it is spent. I cited Commonwealth Court Judge Dan Pellegrini's opinion as to the Board's handling of the NCAA sanctions:

“The majority [of the court’s judges] appears to arrive at this outcome because it is bewildered, as I am, by how the Board of Trustees of PSU could have approved or allowed to be executed a “Consent Decree” involving the expenditure of $60 million of PSU funds when the Consent Decree specifically states that the matter “ordinarily would not be actionable by the NCAA.” If, as the majority suggests, the NCAA did not have jurisdiction over conduct because it did not involve the regulation of athletics, then the expenditure of those funds is problematic, given that PSU is a non-profit corporation as well as being tax-exempt as a charitable organization, and that Boards of Directors of non-profit charitable corporations have a fiduciary duty to ensure that funds are only used for matters related to its charitable purpose – in this case, the students of PSU. See 15 Pa. C.S. §5712. Moreover, the majority position is understandable given the lax supervision by those responsible for insuring that non-profit and charitable organizations operate as non-profit and charitable organizations as well as their failure to take action against Boards of Directors and Officers who use funds of a non-profit and/or charitable entity to pay funds that they are not legally obligated to pay and/or expend funds not related to their charitable purpose or who no longer act as a charity. See Zampogna v. Law Enforcement Health Benefits, Inc., 81 A.3d 1043, 1047 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2013).”

If the Board is going to disburse money in this manner, then I am not going to provide it with more money. If on the other hand I can give money, or leave money, to a specific department or program (e.g. Paterno Fellowship) in whose management the Board has no say, that is another matter.

Another issue is that the entire Board as constituted in March 2012, minus one honorable exception who distanced himself from this action, published that the Board (Nov. 2011) fired Joe Paterno for "failure of leadership," a phrase it used twice. Keith Masser and Kenneth Frazier testified later in depositions (Corman and McCord vs. NCAA) that Paterno had been fired solely for public relations reasons. Masser testified, “The decision to remove coach Paterno had nothing to do with what he had known, what he hadn’t done. It was based upon the distraction of having him on the sidelines would have caused the university and the current football team harm.”

I did not go to the U.S. Military Academy but this seems to put the entire March 2012 Board (minus the honorable exception) into the "lie... or tolerate those who do" category of the Honor Code, which means that the Board that fired Paterno and then said it was for "failure of leadership" did not meet the standards the USMA demands from 18 year old cadets.

The Board, as currently led, has taken no identifiable actions to correct its past mistakes or to apologize to the Paterno family and Penn State community for those actions.

Did anybody else get "Let Your Future Burn Bright This October" regarding estate planning?

I responded that, while I would like to leave money to support Penn State's educational mission, I would not leave money if the Board of Trustees has any control whatsoever in how it is spent. I cited Commonwealth Court Judge Dan Pellegrini's opinion as to the Board's handling of the NCAA sanctions:

“The majority [of the court’s judges] appears to arrive at this outcome because it is bewildered, as I am, by how the Board of Trustees of PSU could have approved or allowed to be executed a “Consent Decree” involving the expenditure of $60 million of PSU funds when the Consent Decree specifically states that the matter “ordinarily would not be actionable by the NCAA.” If, as the majority suggests, the NCAA did not have jurisdiction over conduct because it did not involve the regulation of athletics, then the expenditure of those funds is problematic, given that PSU is a non-profit corporation as well as being tax-exempt as a charitable organization, and that Boards of Directors of non-profit charitable corporations have a fiduciary duty to ensure that funds are only used for matters related to its charitable purpose – in this case, the students of PSU. See 15 Pa. C.S. §5712. Moreover, the majority position is understandable given the lax supervision by those responsible for insuring that non-profit and charitable organizations operate as non-profit and charitable organizations as well as their failure to take action against Boards of Directors and Officers who use funds of a non-profit and/or charitable entity to pay funds that they are not legally obligated to pay and/or expend funds not related to their charitable purpose or who no longer act as a charity. See Zampogna v. Law Enforcement Health Benefits, Inc., 81 A.3d 1043, 1047 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2013).”

If the Board is going to disburse money in this manner, then I am not going to provide it with more money. If on the other hand I can give money, or leave money, to a specific department or program (e.g. Paterno Fellowship) in whose management the Board has no say, that is another matter.

Another issue is that the entire Board as constituted in March 2012, minus one honorable exception who distanced himself from this action, published that the Board (Nov. 2011) fired Joe Paterno for "failure of leadership," a phrase it used twice. Keith Masser and Kenneth Frazier testified later in depositions (Corman and McCord vs. NCAA) that Paterno had been fired solely for public relations reasons. Masser testified, “The decision to remove coach Paterno had nothing to do with what he had known, what he hadn’t done. It was based upon the distraction of having him on the sidelines would have caused the university and the current football team harm.”

I did not go to the U.S. Military Academy but this seems to put the entire March 2012 Board (minus the honorable exception) into the "lie... or tolerate those who do" category of the Honor Code, which means that the Board that fired Paterno and then said it was for "failure of leadership" did not meet the standards the USMA demands from 18 year old cadets.

The Board, as currently led, has taken no identifiable actions to correct its past mistakes or to apologize to the Paterno family and Penn State community for those actions.

I got the email as well. I haven’t written my response yet. It won’t be pretty though.

The problem is getting these assholes to admit their wrongs and correcting them. Until then don't give.

In the heat of the mess, just before Joe's statue was removed, I wrote a letter to the President of PSU stating that if he didn't have the courage to keep Joe's statue in tact that I would never give another dime to PSU. And my opinion has not changed to date.

It’s like when you’re an undergrad and you have $20 (in change) to get you thru the end of the month - food and laundry, and no beer money. Then grandma gives you a crisp $20 with the stipulation that you don’t buy beer with it. So you lug the $20 in change to the bottle shop and grab some beer.

Here's a suggestion - if any of you are so angry at the BOT for things that happened in the past, yet want to help PSU students, and if you're worried about the use to which any contribution would be put - fund a scholarship. Choose a type of deserving student that appeals to you ... fist time college, low income, from your hometown, certain major, athletics, etc.

If you are in a position to give or include PSU in your estate plan, but hold a grudge, consider setting up a giving plan that does work for you and benefits worthy students..

NO - I don't work in PSU development!

Aside from other stupid things that were done why would you toss the program under that bus and piss 60M away when you knew damn well the NCAA had no case.

The simple answer to that question is that Emmert bluffed - threatening the death penalty - and Rod folded. Emmert's own infractions staff was telling him the NCAA had no jurisdiction. It was a total mob tactic, con job.

BOT has not defended Penn State from leeches sucking the blood in hundreds of millions. No courage to stand up and fight instead they wilted. No doubt. However, one can donate money to specific academic programs for specified scholarships. BOT cannot touch it.

The simple answer to that question is that Emmert bluffed - threatening the death penalty - and Rod folded. Emmert's own infractions staff was telling him the NCAA had no jurisdiction. It was a total mob tactic, con job.
Rod was an ass then. You have an athletic department that big staff that should've seen through that shit. I think that was Rods bullshit when everyone started getting pissed.

Especially when certain parties were under duress. The lawlessness which pervaded this sequence of events is stunning. Especially when you think about how not one responsible adult stood up to demand reasonable treatment and due process.
It's called dumb as.shit!

In the heat of the mess, just before Joe's statue was removed, I wrote a letter to the President of PSU stating that if he didn't have the courage to keep Joe's statue in tact that I would never give another dime to PSU. And my opinion has not changed to date.
Me, too! No statue or public recognition for a great man and family.... no $$$. We should just say no because that’s what PSU only knows how to say.

BOT has not defended Penn State from leeches sucking the blood in hundreds of millions. No courage to stand up and fight instead they wilted. No doubt. However, one can donate money to specific academic programs for specified scholarships. BOT cannot touch it.

Maybe OSU and MSU can make a contribution as payback for the lesson we taught them of how not to deal with scandals. Just a random idea....

Reactions: denniskembala
Why do they need money? Until the student loan scam collapses, they've got money to burn.

BTW, why can't we make these Universities co-sign all these loans? You know - to make sure they're a good investment in the kid's (and the University's) future.

Why do they need money? Until the student loan scam collapses, they've got money to burn.

BTW, why can't we make these Universities co-sign all these loans? You know - to make sure they're a good investment in the kid's (and the University's) future.
Those bags of shit would never do that. ..great idea through

Better, yet, have them make the loans.

Especially when certain parties were under duress. The lawlessness which pervaded this sequence of events is stunning. Especially when you think about how not one responsible adult stood up to demand reasonable treatment and due process.

Which Judge Pellegrini came across as defining as dereliction of fiduciary duty. He didn't say "dereliction" but he defined the BOT's fiduciary duty and then described how it failed to perform it.

Here's a suggestion - if any of you are so angry at the BOT for things that happened in the past, yet want to help PSU students, and if you're worried about the use to which any contribution would be put - fund a scholarship. Choose a type of deserving student that appeals to you ... fist time college, low income, from your hometown, certain major, athletics, etc.

If you are in a position to give or include PSU in your estate plan, but hold a grudge, consider setting up a giving plan that does work for you and benefits worthy students..

NO - I don't work in PSU development!

I could be mistaken, but I believe that PSU's centralized development office takes a cut of any directed donation. As a result at least a portion of that donation does not go to purpose for which it was intended. Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

I am not as angry as you are although I do understand. So, every year I send a check for $4.09!

I could be mistaken, but I believe that PSU's centralized development office takes a cut of any directed donation. As a result at least a portion of that donation does not go to purpose for which it was intended. Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

I don't know but, if it does, PSU will get nothing from me. THON might be another matter if it is independent of the University and the Trustees.

Reactions: denniskembala
Here's how it is, you can figure out all kinds of ways to get around allowing the shit headed BOT to get their hands on money.

It doesn't undo what they have done to the University, Paternos, their reputation and all of us.

Don't give them shit, unless you send it in a series of shoeboxes to the BOT members and the Red Faced Barron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT