ADVERTISEMENT

Just bought a new dining room table. Solid Oak.

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
Made by an Amish guy in NE Ohio, I am told. What do you suggest I use to just protect it week to week or month to month. A woman I know said something about "lemon oil." No idea what that is or whether it is any good.

Already viewed the Carpenter bee thread. If you all know that somebody has got to know how to treat affine piece of oak furniture.

Lemon oil is good, but the Amish make a product especially for their wood. Can't remember the name of it.

Made by an Amish guy in NE Ohio, I am told. What do you suggest I use to just protect it week to week or month to month. A woman I know said something about "lemon oil." No idea what that is or whether it is any good.

Already viewed the Carpenter bee thread. If you all know that somebody has got to know how to treat affine piece of oak furniture.
Finish Feeder is outstanding.

LINK: http://www.kilianhardware.com/finfeedpol.html

It was recommended to us by a friend 20 years ago. He is a known antique furniture collector with a first rate collection. It is good stuff.

demlion, if you want some let me know. I can send you at least a partial small container. I would order the replacement for supply.

http://www.kilianhardware.com/cochbefufepo.html

"After much research, experimentation and collaboration with antique dealers, Conservators Choice Beeswax Furniture Feeder & Polish has been developed as a superior replacement for the now obsolete Finish Feeder furniture polish."

Last edited:
Finish Feeder is outstanding.

LINK: http://www.kilianhardware.com/finfeedpol.html

It was recommended to us by a friend 20 years ago. He is a known antique furniture collector with a first rate collection. It is good stuff.

Do you have a secret stash or supplier mn78psu83?

;-)

Per your link...

kilian_2270_185311666

NO LONGER MANUFACTURED. WE ARE OFFERING SUBSTITUTES BELOW.

==========

Looks like this is the replacement:

After much research, experimentation and collaboration with antique dealers, Conservators Choice Beeswax Furniture Feeder & Polish has been developed as a superior replacement for the now obsolete Finish Feeder furniture polish.

This product is especially for very old antiques which need a feeder polish to maintain the wood.

Conservators Choice Beeswax Polish contains no silicones or petroleum distillates and is safe for use on all antique oil finishes, spirit varnishes and varnish finishes.

Contains oil of turpentine and other natural oils and waxes.

Hand made in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Ships by UPS ground only.

Conservators Choice 16 oz.
trans_1x1.gif
Regular price: $24.99
trans_1x1.gif
Sale price: $19.99

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
Do you have a secret stash or supplier mn78psu83?

;-)

Per your link...

kilian_2270_185311666

NO LONGER MANUFACTURED. WE ARE OFFERING SUBSTITUTES BELOW.​
That is funny! Thank you sir! We do have a stash. demlion, if you want some let me know. I can send you at least a partial small container. I would order the replacement for supply.

"After much research, experimentation and collaboration with antique dealers, Conservators Choice Beeswax Furniture Feeder & Polish has been developed as a superior replacement for the now obsolete Finish Feeder furniture polish."

My two cents with oak..... Dont do anything to it for three years then apply an oil every six months. Use a damp cloth without soap to wipe the table after each daily use.

Use as little oil as possible and keep the table from direct sunlight.

"Just bought a new dining room table. Solid Oak."

Another boating incident on your property? Knocked down an oak tree no less? Damn, that must have put a major dent on the boat. :D

Another boating incident on your property? Knocked down an oak tree no less? Damn, that must have put a major dent on the boat. :D

Where's the ice cream Tom?

Since you are the Good Humor Man in this post.

Good memory. Good fun.

Well played Tom :D

Appreciate all the excellent responses in this thread. I will order up some of the killian stuff that mn, with TJ's help, recommended. Will let you know how it goes. I have some old oak pieces that could really use a little brightening up anyway.

My two cents with oak..... Dont do anything to it for three years then apply an oil every six months. Use a damp cloth without soap to wipe the table after each daily use.

Use as little oil as possible and keep the table from direct sunlight.

Interesting post cment. Any follow-up comments on why you want to wait for 3 years and then use as little oil as possible?
Thanks in advance cment.

Next week will be approximately 2 years since that disturbing incident. Two accident free years, I might add. :) I still re-read that piece form time to time.

The "solid oak" line reminds me of the MASH episode when Henry got a new desk. It, too, was solid oak

Reactions: demlion
The "solid oak" line reminds me of the MASH episode when Henry got a new desk. It, too, was solid oak
I knew to a virtual certainty that someone would notice--especially after I used McLean Stevenson's name! You win a cookie. Just PM Tom McAndrew. He'll set you up. :)

Reactions: massimoManca II
I knew to a virtual certainty that someone would notice--especially after I used McLean Stevenson's name! You win a cookie. Just PM Tom McAndrew. He'll set you up. :)
I didn't get that far into the thread, I just read the title and commented haha. It's on Netflix now, so I keep it in the background while working on summer classes.

I can only watch the first three seasons. Trapper and Henry left and the show quickly became unwatchable

Interesting post cment. Any follow-up comments on why you want to wait for 3 years and then use as little oil as possible?
Thanks in advance cment.

To each his/her own here on this subject. I say three years because the piece is arriving already finished. Inam assuming the house is climate controled and i think Dem is in WV wich means fluctuating humidity. It is of my experience that hard woods need to adjust to thier new environment and it takes more then a year of expansion and contraction for the wood to "settle". The time also allows the piece to gain some "character" and not look like it just arrived of the Ethan-Allen truck. I also assumed it was a dining room table that would get little use and did not have leafs( aka it was a one piece table).
Also, i perfer the wood to be aged/used a little before i start with the oil. (Never wax). Imo the grains 'pop' a little more if you let the wood sit in a relatively climate secure place after the initial finishing. Again its my opinion through experience and some disagree. You can oil the piece every week and it would look great and that is ok too.
I say use as little oil as possible because the wood can only soak up so much, so you are really only wasting oil. Repeat after a couple of hours if you want.

Reactions: bytir
To each his/her own here on this subject. I say three years because the piece is arriving already finished. Inam assuming the house is climate controled and i think Dem is in WV wich means fluctuating humidity. It is of my experience that hard woods need to adjust to thier new environment and it takes more then a year of expansion and contraction for the wood to "settle". The time also allows the piece to gain some "character" and not look like it just arrived of the Ethan-Allen truck. I also assumed it was a dining room table that would get little use and did not have leafs( aka it was a one piece table).
Also, i perfer the wood to be aged/used a little before i start with the oil. (Never wax). Imo the grains 'pop' a little more if you let the wood sit in a relatively climate secure place after the initial finishing. Again its my opinion through experience and some disagree. You can oil the piece every week and it would look great and that is ok too.
I say use as little oil as possible because the wood can only soak up so much, so you are really only wasting oil. Repeat after a couple of hours if you want.

Appreciate your comments cment. Thank you.

Oils well that ends well...

Why not ask the Amish guy that made it? :)

Call his neighbor's phone. Or hit him up on his mailbox phone. (note, these are things I actually experienced with Amish neighbors).
Back when I lived amongst the Amish, you'd just walk over and see him. He was always around somewhere. Not like he took his family to Disneyworld.o_O

This is pretty interesting cment, since even though it is 112" long, it has no leaves, and had to be custom built to be that long and still have no leaves. Do not know how you divined that. It certainly looks good right now, so I may just take your advice and do nothing. I have proven time and again I am quite good at doing nothing.:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT