ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Bad Coach.

It's hard to believe that people care about what other people say/think. If you don't see Joe as the genius he was, then that's on you, and I won't waste time on that.

It's hard to believe that people care about what other people say/think. If you don't see Joe as the genius he was, then that's on you, and I won't waste time on that.

The infantilism is hard to ignore at times.

I won't argue that Joe's genius may have dimmed after the mid 90's. But I can confirm that as a high school coach in the 70's and 80's when Joe was scheduled to speak at a National Coaches Clinic, you had better get your seat early.

Stupid list. All of these lists are stupid. They are just trying to drive clicks (who's got the greatest stadium, who has the coolest mascot, who has the coolest uniform....). This list of coaches coached in much different eras. They've got coaches in there who coached teams that wore leather helmets without face masks. Coaches that didn't travel outside their tri-state area. Coaches that loaded up with 150 scholarship players. Coaches that are proven cheaters.

Whatever it is.....it's sure as hell less than you.

thumbsucking.jpg

What did I miss? Where does anyone say Joe was a bad coach? It's a list. A list of win percentage over a career. It is what it is. Some misguided souls may think that is a sound basis for coaching quality, others may not. Heck, that same site has a different list of coaches based on ranking points.

Just to clarify CJ, I am one of the posters clamoring for a new trial for Jerry. Anyone with half a brain can see that Jerry did not get a fair trial and deserves a new one with an objective jury.

I was a paying member here for about 9 years and I was the one defending Joe and pointing out that twice in five years we were one play away from being in the NC game. Most posters were against Joe and saying we would always be in the top ten and we will win some NC's once Joe is gone. This attitude greased the way for the BOT to lynch Joe. BTW in 2011 we were on the way to a BCS Bowl and we had team in place to make an NC attempt in 2012. Yes, we were that good.

Today the consensus in the country is that Jerry was raping kids for 40 years in Central PA and everyone knew it. They feel Joe did the right thing legally, BUT he should have done more morally like tell the police and the press.

No one can say Jerry is innocent, but you need concrete evidence to have him rot in jail. There is now enough information to raise a reasonable doubt. CJ, since your mind is made up, the least you could do is to support a new trial, because the very least a new trial will do is it will spread more light on the truth and it will prove to the rest of the country that Jerry was a known pedophile. The rest of the country needs to hear that no one knew and even though there was hearsay that this was investigated.

BTW, just like with Leo Frank, I believe someone will eventually step forward with the truth about Jerry and my regret is that it will be after Jerry has rotted in jail and I hope you can live with the fact that you should have done more.

Just to clarify CJ, I am one of the posters clamoring for a new trial for Jerry. Anyone with half a brain can see that Jerry did not get a fair trial and deserves a new one with an objective jury.

Agreed. However, those of us with a full brain disagree

Joe's winning percentage is only about 0.5% lower than Nick Saban's, so I guess Nick Saban isn't that good either.

I was a paying member here for about 9 years and I was the one defending Joe and pointing out that twice in five years we were one play away from being in the NC game. Most posters were against Joe and saying we would always be in the top ten and we will win some NC's once Joe is gone. This attitude greased the way for the BOT to lynch Joe. BTW in 2011 we were on the way to a BCS Bowl and we had team in place to make an NC attempt in 2012. Yes, we were that good.

Today the consensus in the country is that Jerry was raping kids for 40 years in Central PA and everyone knew it. They feel Joe did the right thing legally, BUT he should have done more morally like tell the police and the press.

No one can say Jerry is innocent, but you need concrete evidence to have him rot in jail. There is now enough information to raise a reasonable doubt. CJ, since your mind is made up, the least you could do is to support a new trial, because the very least a new trial will do is it will spread more light on the truth and it will prove to the rest of the country that Jerry was a known pedophile. The rest of the country needs to hear that no one knew and even though there was hearsay that this was investigated.

BTW, just like with Leo Frank, I believe someone will eventually step forward with the truth about Jerry and my regret is that it will be after Jerry has rotted in jail and I hope you can live with the fact that you should have done more.
Sandusky was innocent until proven guilty. If you believe he was not proven guilty then you must believe he's innocent.

This is what some imbeciles are arguing, because Joe isn't in the "top 30 in winning Percentage" while citing the lame website below.

Arguing with these idiots is like arguing with some of the golf par IQs in the "Eliminating Threads" Thread.

http://www.tiptop25.com/topcoaches_winpercent.html
A lot of these guys didn't even coach in 200 games. Joe had at least 300 more rolls of the dice.

Reactions: ralpieE
Sandusky was innocent until proven guilty. If you believe he was not proven guilty then you must believe he's innocent.
That is not necessarily true. A person can believe Sandusky is guilty, but they can also believe he did not receive a fair trial and was not proven guilty. That does not mean they believe he is innocent. If an appellate court agrees the original proceedings were flawed, they can toss out the conviction. That does not mean the appeals court believes he is innocent. The new trial may reach the same result, or it may not.

Joe is one of the all-time greatest CFB coaches. The guy has two national championships and a number of other undefeated seasons.

However, the last decade of his career was not very good. He continued to coach long after the game had passed him. He still had a few good seasons in that decade, and came close twice to being mentioned in the NC picture had they not lost the UM game in 05 and the Iowa game in 08.

However, the last decade he coached was not a great decade. He didn't recruit anymore and it really hurt.

"jrd23psu, YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH ON TARGET WITH

"came close twice to being mentioned in the NC picture had they not lost the UM game in 05 and the Iowa game in 08."

HOWEVER EVEN CLOSER AS IT WAS JUST ONE PLAY IN EACH GAME.

"However, the last decade he coached was not a great decade. He didn't recruit anymore and it really hurt".

05 and 08 were in Joe's last decade. Please go back and see the men we signed up in 2011. We had several 4 stars signed that soon were snapped up by other teams. When Joe was fired in 2011, we had a two game lead in our stronger division with 3 games left to play. If we won just 2 out of 3 we are in the Big Ten Championship and would be the favorite in the game. Our only loss that year under Joe was to Bama. Joe had two key players in his doghouse during that game, even though the NCAA were fine with them. I believe that if they had played and the refs did not give Bama a first down on their failed 4th down attempt that we would have won. That play plus our easy field goal miss along with a poor punt gave Bama momentum. I also believe RB needed Green in the huddle to fire up the WR's who had a bad game. We had a BCS caliber team and Joe strategically drafted great OL and TE's, so I knew our two weakest spots would be our strengths in 2012. Take a look at the roster with the new recruits and you will see a NC team in 2012.

Actually, I wish to change my opinion after reading this thread. JVP's record was something like 84-40 his final ten years, He also had 4 additional bowl victories. Consider the mitigating factors: He was 74-84 years old. He didn't recruit blue chip athletes ( so he achieved this record with inferior talent). His assistants were all yes men who couldn't work anywhere else. In addition he hired his idiot son(THE QUATERBACK KILLER) and made him the offensive coordinator.
All things considered, his genius never faded.

This is what some imbeciles are arguing, because Joe isn't in the "top 30 in winning Percentage" while citing the lame website below.

Arguing with these idiots is like arguing with some of the golf par IQs in the "Eliminating Threads" Thread.

http://www.tiptop25.com/topcoaches_winpercent.html
Joe was 24-12-1 in bowl games. He was 13-4 in the "major" bowl games. He won all 5 major bowl games.
Woody Hayes was 10-9 in bowl games.
Bo Schembechler was 5-12 in bowl games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ralpieE
Actually, I wish to change my opinion after reading this thread. JVP's record was something like 84-40 his final ten years, He also had 4 additional bowl victories. Consider the mitigating factors: He was 74-84 years old. He didn't recruit blue chip athletes ( so he achieved this record with inferior talent). His assistants were all yes men who couldn't work anywhere else. In addition he hired his idiot son(THE QUATERBACK KILLER) and made him the offensive coordinator.
All things considered, his genius never faded.

You may want to rethink that comment Marshall...because a few of his assistants may have salvaged Joe's last 10 years. Ask the players

+1 I don't understand why people get so angry when they hear the names PSU or Joe Pa. It's really really sad. :(

Captain Reilly and another poster were making such fools of themselves with this percentage thread on the Lair, it was deleted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT