ADVERTISEMENT

JJ Van Den Berg

I'd say 30% chance. Have to beat either Ohio St or Michigan and win the rest. If both Ohio St and Michigan weren't also playoff caliber teams then the odds would be higher. Say for example if we were in the PAC10, Big12, or ACC. Then we'd be a better than 50% chance of making the playoffs IMO.
Exactly. Split with the bucknuts and referines, win the rest and that gets us in. It's doable. 9-3 is also possible.

And Chop. Both significantly undersized and for some reason both on the same side of the line. Why wouldn't you put the SDE on the same side as the 3 tech DT? Seems like that would make sense from a run defense perspective.

Just some observations:

1. This is likely 3rd down. We have 3 DL (Chop, Beamon, Issac) in view. That's the blitz package front.

2. Brown is at Mike. Jacobs is at Edge. Carter is also, but you don't see him until the play gets going. Brown actually slips through and almost gets to the QB.

3. The biggest issue on this play, to me, is that Chop got blown up so easily. Note the RT kind of staggered him, the RG shoves him to the ground and that allowed the Michigan RG to then block back into Beamon (who was engaging the C towards the right side of OL).

4. This is a smoke and mirrors blitz. Notice Jacobs and Carter stunt inside, but moreso to protect the shallow middle or spy the QB. Issac goes very wide and ends up beating his guy, but the ball gets out before he can capitalize.

Michigan played this very well (save for Corum missing his block on Brown) and we still almost got 2 rushers to the QB. Even with 2 DL getting ragdolled. Props to McCarthy, if he holds this ball any longer he might get sacked.

I think this blitz works better in '23. Durant likely in for Beamon. Carter at Mike, Rojas on the edge. Chop will be bigger. Might even see DDS here.

Just some observations:

1. This is likely 3rd down. We have 3 DL (Chop, Beamon, Issac) in view. That's the blitz package front.

2. Brown is at Mike. Jacobs is at Edge. Carter is also, but you don't see him until the play gets going. Brown actually slips through and almost gets to the QB.

3. The biggest issue on this play, to me, is that Chop got blown up so easily. Note the RT kind of staggered him, the RG shoves him to the ground and that allowed the Michigan RG to then block back into Beamon (who was engaging the C towards the right side of OL).

4. This is a smoke and mirrors blitz. Notice Jacobs and Carter stunt inside, but moreso to protect the shallow middle or spy the QB. Issac goes very wide and ends up beating his guy, but the ball gets out before he can capitalize.

Michigan played this very well (save for Corum missing his block on Brown) and we still almost got 2 rushers to the QB. Even with 2 DL getting ragdolled. Props to McCarthy, if he holds this ball any longer he might get sacked.

I think this blitz works better in '23. Durant likely in for Beamon. Carter at Mike, Rojas on the edge. Chop will be bigger. Might even see DDS here.
I don't really want to see 51 on the field against Michigan unless it's 2nd or 3rd and long. Sorry but I want 99 and 91 in the middle.

I don't really want to see 51 on the field against Michigan unless it's 2nd or 3rd and long. Sorry but I want 99 and 91 in the middle.

This play was about 99.5% a 3rd down. Understand that sentiment. I don't see why he couldn't be a DE vs Michigan. Or a DE period depending on his weight.

This play was about 99.5% a 3rd down. Understand that sentiment. I don't see why he couldn't be a DE vs Michigan. Or a DE period depending on his weight.
Franklin raving about how hes "all the way up" to 275? Really, 275? Exactly. He will make a nice 2nd unit DE.

JOE HERMITT
Former Jets QB Christian Hackenberg is now high school coach in Camden County
Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg talks with running back Saquon Barkley after the 24-17 loss to Georgia in the TaxSlayer Bowl at EverBank Field on Jan. 2, 2016. Hackenberg, the New York Jets second round draft pick in 2016, is now a volunteer assistant coach at Winslow High School in Camden County.
Former New York Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg (left) reviews practice film  practice at Winslow Township Middle School on Wednesday, August 25, 2021 in Atco, N.J. Hackenberg, the Jets second round draft pick in 2016, is now a volunteer assistant coach at Winslow High School in Camden County.

6 / 15
Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media

He ain't done!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT