Special Teams: Special Teams

D-Squad Players of the Week

Offense: OL Matt Detisch
Offense: RB Tyler Holzworth
Defense: LB Kavieion Keys
Defense: DB Kolin Dinkins
Special Teams: DaKarri Nelson

Last edited:
Franklin notes that Penn State is one of the best teams in the country so far this season in not allowing opposing offenses into the redzone. Notes thats a team stat as while the defense is having a great season its also thanks to the offense either scoring or at least gaining a few first downs before punting.

Franklin notes that areas of improvement include Penn State needing to start fast on offense, they need the 2s and 3s to play at a higher level, also notes they need to get better in perimiter blocking.

James Franklin notes on Ohio State

- Spread offense .. will go tempo

- WR Marvin Harrison, RB Treyveon Henderson, TE Cade Stover (says Stover isn't getting enough attention), WR Emeka Egbuka, RB Miyan Williams

- Defensively, Penn State is very familiar with Jim Knowles. Has taken the Ohio State defense to a "Whole new level", what they do, they do really well. Limits explosive plays.

- Has a "coach crush" on LB Tommy Eichenberg. Calls him the quarterback of the defense. "Just a really smart, intictive, athletic linebacker that we have a ton of respect for." S Lathan Ransom, DE J.T. Tuimoloau, DB Denzel Burke,

Special Teams: Jayden Fleming

On Drew's mentality heading into this weekend...

Wasn't going to have a conversation with him on it but since the media keeps bringing it up, he will now have to have a conversation with him. "I want him to prepare the same way, practice the same way."

On Kyle McCord

Big arm, good size, been in the Ohio State system a long time so understands the offense and has a ton of talent around of him. "He's doing what he needs to do for them to be successful and win games. I'm not surprised, his high school coach is on his staff, we've recruited him, we know a lot about him. We had a ton of respect for him out of high school and continue to."

On the offenses identity so far and balancing what needs to be done against better teams (Ohio State and Michigan)

"I think what you have to be careful of is, you have to understand and figure out what the identity of your team is and embrace that identity no matter what the outside world is saying. That doesn't mean you're not looking to improve in certain areas. Staying true to our identity and what has gotten us here while still saying these are areas that we have to improve. Studying the analytics are important so you're aware of what those things say but those analytics and trends are there for a reason."

James Franklin on recruiting...

"When kids call to commit to us, we usually try and talk them out of it because I would rather you not commit than to commit and then change your mind."

Franklin says Allar and his family were very transparent in the recruiting, would call Franklin and tell him when a coach would call them. Notes Allar and his family drove around campus by themselves during COVID to get a feel of campus.

Players of the Game:

Offense: Tyler Warren
Defense: Adisa Isaac
Special Teams: Special Teams

D-Squad Players of the Week

Offense: OL Matt Detisch
Offense: RB Tyler Holzworth
Defense: LB Kavieion Keys
Defense: DB Kolin Dinkins
Special Teams: DaKarri Nelson
Glad to see Matt Detisch get some recognition. He is a dedicated hard working guy.

On the "slower starts" this year..

"We've got to find ways to do it faster and start out fast in practices and in games and play at a high level. I think at the end of the day I think we're playing really good complimentary football. I think we're more complimentary and balanced than we've been in the past."

"His transformation, I've never seen a transformation like it." - Franklin on the transformation he saw with Drew under QB coach Brad Maendler.

For those who are wondering... Penn State considers rushing plays of 12+ yards as explosive plays and passing plays of 15+ yards as explosive.

Franklin on the rushing attack this season...

"You've to embrace who you, who you are as a player, a leader, as a team. This is who we are right now and we're doing it well. I also know when the opportunities present themselves that there is evidence that these guys will make the big plays because there's enough evidence that I will. I still think people are playing us different than did last year."

"We've got to find ways to do it faster and start out fast in practices and in games and play at a high level. I think at the end of the day I think we're playing really good complimentary football. I think we're more complimentary and balanced than we've been in the past."
He knows they cannot start slow against OSU. PSU wins only if they play 4 consistently excellent quarters of complimentary football. Minimize mistakes and turnovers, move the chains on offense.PSU defense needs consistent pressure on McCord to throw off his timing in their passing game. Limit Harrison's impact on game and keep OSU's speed backs from getting outside.

Last edited:

It's kind of funny because in 2018 and 2019, they were known for starting fast and then going into a lull after that. Not sure which I'd prefer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT