ADVERTISEMENT

Football James Franklin post game quotes

"The turnover in the third quarter was a significant play in the game, up to that point we were in a heck of a game, a heck of a dogfight between two of the best defenses, two of the best teams in college football."

"We did not play well enough in all three phases to get the win. Had a great environment, had a great crowd."
“We did not coach well enough to put our student athletes in a position to succeed.”

That’s what needs to be said. Why blame the players for not playing well enough, other than one in particular.

The defense played a great game.

"We have to do a better job of calling a game to get a quarterback in a rhythm." James Franklin on Drew Allar today.

"At some point you have to be aggressive," James on going for it on fourth down with four minutes to go.
But being aggressive isn’t going for it on 4th and long. That’s stupidity. Being aggressive is throwing downfield on 1st and 5 instead of handing it off after being given 5 yards on a defensive penalty.

I think the bigger sense here is that whether to not he did dit on purpose, just called out Mike Yurcich. Something he rarely does. Maybe he didn't mean it that way but that's the way it came off.
Again, poor head coaching. If in fact he did call out Yurcich, good for him. However I doubt he did. Everything about JF is wrong. He just is not a leader at all. He has very very very low football IQ at best.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
“We did not coach well enough to put our student athletes in a position to succeed.”

That’s what needs to be said. Why blame the players for not playing well enough, other than one in particular.

Allar is horrible under pressure!

Allar is horrible under pressure!
Maybe so, but where’s the development of QB’s in the program? It’s nonexistent. So now that we know that, does the fault lie with Allar or the coaching staffs inability to develop QB’s? Allar is young and capable of improving….im not so inclined to believe the same can be said for the coaching staff.

Reactions: m.knox
But being aggressive isn’t going for it on 4th and long. That’s stupidity. Being aggressive is throwing downfield on 1st and 5 instead of handing it off after being given 5 yards on a defensive penalty.
Or taking a shot downfield on 2nd and 1 after Kaytron gets 9 on 1st down. Nope, sorry ass pass to Maleiga that loses a yard.

"But we had coaches with their heads up their asses so far they could see out their mouths."

That is what the stooge should have said.

He didn’t like the heat for the bad decisions to go for 2 and walked out of the PC.
It made no sense. After not getting it the first time, he had to do it the second time. And then it’s a 9 point game instead of 7.

And I really don’t get his 4th quarter impatience that causes him to go for 4th down deep in his territory down by one TD with enough time and timeouts to punt, get the ball back and take another crack at it. Did it at Ohio St and and against Michigan.

Reactions: hoflane
It made no sense. After not getting it the first time, he had to do it the second time. And then it’s a 9 point game instead of 7.

And I really don’t get his 4th quarter impatience that causes him to go for 4th down deep in his territory down by one TD with enough time and timeouts to punt, get the ball back and take another crack at it. Did it at Ohio St and and against Michigan.
Game after game - these decisions.

Reactions: 1AA
He didn’t learn that after the OSU debacle?
Nothing different. I realize it's the Jimmy's and Joe's but he could have tried a toss sweep with w TEs stacked to one side leading the way (like UM). Or maybe an inside screen to slow the pass rush.

Reactions: hoflane
Nothing different. I realize it's the Jimmy's and Joe's but he could have tried a toss sweep with w TEs stacked to one side leading the way (like UM). Or maybe an inside screen to slow the pass rush.
Agree x 1000. Seems like a hundred years since PSU ran either a toss sweep or inside screen. Ah, the good old days....

"At some point you have to be aggressive," James on going for it on fourth down with four minutes to go.
He didn't think the time to be aggressive was at the point where he kicked the field goal????? I guess when you're not confident you can make 3 yards, you take those evasive points!

It seems he NEVER learns after games. He just moves on to the next game and you see the same issues and same coaching decisions over and over and over.

Penn St is the most predictable team to prepare for in college football and they rarely adjust in game.
We said this during the 1997-2007 9 game UM losing streak when JoePa was coach.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
He didn't think the time to be aggressive was at the point where he kicked the field goal????? I guess when you're not confident you can make 3 yards, you take those evasive points!
That's the point. We couldn't get in on 3 tries from 1st and goal from the 3 and we couldn't convert on 4th and 1 but for some reason he felt like we could make the 2 pt conversion before half. It's like that extra 1 pt was more critical than the extra 4 pts.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
That's the point. We couldn't get in on 3 tries from 1st and goal from the 3 and we couldn't convert on 4th and 1 but for some reason he felt like we could make the 2 pt conversion before half. It's like that extra 1 pt was more critical than the extra 4 pts.
The only people in the world that don't think Franklin is a horrible coach are the Kool Aid drinkers here. He is now the laughingstock of College Football!

We said this during the 1997-2007 9 game UM losing streak when JoePa was coach.
Unfortunately Paterno didn't know when to walk away. This time we overpaid a coach with guaranteed money so unless Pegula saves us from our stupidly it's going to be a frustrating next 5 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT