ADVERTISEMENT

Is it possible to win 9 wrestling championships in high school?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Watching American Ninja warrior and a contestant named Jerimiah Morgan finished the Houston City Finals. During the pre-run build up, they talked about him being a nationally ranked wrestler in HS. He apparently chose not to wrestle in college because of religious issues (competing on the the sabbath). He said that he won 9 championships. Is that possible? Could 3 or 4 of them be team championships? I'd be surprised if they had both Freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling, but I'm no expert. He's 25 years old and was in Louisiana and Mississippi. Anyone have any thoughts about the validity here?

Reactions: fairgambit
Watching American Ninja warrior and a contestant named Jerimiah Morgan finished the Houston City Finals. During the pre-run build up, they talked about him being a nationally ranked wrestler in HS. He apparently chose not to wrestle in college because of religious issues (competing on the the sabbath). He said that he won 9 championships. Is that possible? Could 3 or 4 of them be team championships? I'd be surprised if they had both Freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling, but I'm no expert. He's 25 years old and was in Louisiana and Mississippi. Anyone have any thoughts about the validity here?

Depending on how you define it, yeah he could have 9 rather easily. He could be talking about national tournament championships i.e. the Dapper Dan. He could win titles in both greco roman and freestyle. He could win titles scholastically, and also in JO's. He could also not be discriminating from championships won while in HS vs prior to HS. I've sponsored kids as young as 12 years old to go out to Fargo for example.

Reactions: therod

Believe it depends on the state. Some states allow middle and elementary school kids to compete upward in their state tournaments I believe.

I believe it was Jeremiah Morgan. As best as I can determine, he graduated in 2008 from Saint Stanislaus High School, a Catholic school in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi which is a combination day/boarding school for grades 7 thru 12.

palehorse gave a good response in terms of how a wrestler could earn that many titles in high school. I have no idea which titles Jeremiah actually earned in high school, and will leave that for others to try to look up.

I don't recall anything about Jeremiah Morgan from 2007-08, though my focus on prep wrestling in those days was limited to PA wrestlers.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I believe it was Jeremiah Morgan. As best as I can determine, he graduated in 2008 from Saint Stanislaus High School, a Catholic school in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi which is a combination day/boarding school for grades 7 thru 12.

palehorse gave a good response in terms of how a wrestler could earn that many titles in high school. I have no idea which titles Jeremiah actually earned in high school, and will leave that for others to try to look up.

I don't recall anything about Jeremiah Morgan from 2007-08, though my focus on prep wrestling in those days was limited to PA wrestlers.

Well, then he couldn't have won ANY state high school championships since Mississippi is the only state that does NOT have high school wrestling. Pretty funny.

Reactions: mn78psu83
ADVERTISEMENT