ADVERTISEMENT

Is DT ever going to beat Dake?

psugrad85

Gold Member
May 7, 2003
Dake 8-2 in WTT mini-tournament finals

Even with a year off the mat, Dake wins handily.

David needs to reevaluate. I just don't think it is in the cards for him anytime soon. I do think David is great for the sport and can be a huge asset in growing the sport. I loved what he brought to college wrestling. He was able to generate interest in the sport.

Only he can decide when it is time to stop competing, but here is one vote for him to channel his energy into promoting folkstyle wrestling across the country. Cael always talks about ways to grow the sport. I think David could be a big asset in that area. I also see him leading Penn State one day.

David needs to reevaluate. I just don't think it is in the cards for him anytime soon. I do think David is great for the sport and can be a huge asset in growing the sport. I loved what he brought to college wrestling. He was able to generate interest in the sport.

Only he can decide when it is time to stop competing, but here is one vote for him to channel his energy into promoting folkstyle wrestling across the country. Cael always talks about ways to grow the sport. I think David could be a big asset in that area. I also see him leading Penn State one day.
You sir are a joke

Reactions: Diego Badman
Don't agree with DT hanging them up - he is way too young.

However, to answer the OP question: No, I just don't see it at this point. 6 in a row is really something and it's not getting any closer. Style, mental, whatever - Dake is his kryptonite.

How about 86kg? Doubtful Ed is going to be around much longer, maybe DT moves up - he certainly has the frame - and finds success.

I apologize, this board is better than insults, I just disagree 100% about a DT retirement party. I think DT could compete and still do many other things, as he currently does.

And when Dake loses to Burroughs -- again -- he should hang 'em up, too? How ridiculous.

The other silly thing about this: Taylor doesn't need to beat Dake and Burroughs. He only needs to beat Burroughs. He's much closer than Dake is.

He doesn't necessarily have to beat either of them to get a shot on the world team. Just needs to make the team. JB and CD are not strangers to injury. Not wishing anything on either just throwing out there 1 of the many reasons a young guy (not just DT) should not throw away his dream because chances of beating another wrestler looks bleak. Life happens and KD and JB may lose the passion is just another of those many reasons. Not entirely out of the realm of possibilities that he surpasses them. IMO its just silly to suggest a guy that young (and that good) should hang em up.

If they all took the "I lost so I'm hanging em up" attitude we would have zero depth.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Yea, that's just plain crazy. Hanging them up in your prime when you are as good as DT. Luckily DT will not have that mentality. Looking forward to watch him wrestle for the next five or six years...that's how you promote the sport of wrestling. Guys that provide the kind of action that DT brings to the table don't fall off the truck too often. Unfortunately, we have three of them at one weight which really sucks. I really believe that Dake owns him mentally. If DT can clear that hurdle, just once, then game on. Until then, everybody is sniffing JB's backside. Dude is just incredible.

I hesitate to write this... but DT did not look himself in either match... THought something was out of whack against Caldwell... like he had a condition issue... wish he didn't get a bye so we could have seen another match.. No excuses, just wondering if he had a bug or something.. he had much more energy in Beat the Streets than what he showed today. He did get beat cleanly. Regardless, he isn't that far.

And when Dake loses to Burroughs -- again -- he should hang 'em up, too? How ridiculous.

The other silly thing about this: Taylor doesn't need to beat Dake and Burroughs. He only needs to beat Burroughs. He's much closer than Dake is.
No one in America is close to Burroughs when he's riled up. He tore Dake to shreds in bout 2. DT would have gotten slaughtered too.

Last edited:
DT came back to beat Howe 6-0. It had to be difficult to get motivated for that match; give him a lot of credit. Pound-for-pound DT is probably better then most of the world team members, but unfortunately he is stuck behind Burroughs who is one of the best wrestlers in the world at any weight and Dake, who is also very good and seems to present particular matchup problems as well. Unfortunately, I can't see him going up and having the necessary size to compete at the higher levels and there's no way he can go down. Therefore, he's stuck in the deepest weigh class in america. We can only hope he eventually gets the opportunity to show what he can do on the world stage. He would be a medal contender, imo, despite being the clear #3 at 74kg.

No way can DT go up a class. He has the frame for it for sure but even now he needs time off the mat and in the weight room. Dake is a bull.

ADVERTISEMENT