ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Ruth leaving NLWC had anything to do with his performance at the WTT

uppermaclion

Sep 6, 2005
After he left the NLWC, he seems to have taken a big step back. Even his matches today to get into the final, appear to be sloppy at best. Then he gets dominated in the finals by Herbert. When he was wrestling with the NLWC, he improved his freestyle and made the world team. Once he left, he really has fallen back quite a bit.

I don't know if he just isn't concerned with wrestling now with MMA in his future, but he has a LOOONNGGG way to go if he thinks he is going to make the olympics wrestling like this. It just seems like he is a totally different wrestler in the short time he left.

After he left the NLWC, he seems to have taken a big step back. Even his matches today to get into the final, appear to be sloppy at best. Then he gets dominated in the finals by Herbert. When he was wrestling with the NLWC, he improved his freestyle and made the world team. Once he left, he really has fallen back quite a bit.

I don't know if he just isn't concerned with wrestling now with MMA in his future, but he has a LOOONNGGG way to go if he thinks he is going to make the olympics wrestling like this. It just seems like he is a totally different wrestler in the short time he left.
Think you hit on it in the 2nd paragraph - hard to maximize ones potential in one discipline when you've got your mind on another. All you have to do is read his Twitter feed.

ASU wrestling was probably hoping to leverage Ed's presence in their room longer than it looks like he'll be there.

Didn't Ruth just tech another World Team member (Gavin) earlier today?

Didn't Ruth just tech another World Team member (Gavin) earlier today?

Yeah then he got destroyed. Reader was having his way with Ruth for a bit too. Don't know what to make of Ruth, but he looks like he took a step back to me.

Yeah then he got destroyed. Reader was having his way with Ruth for a bit too. Don't know what to make of Ruth, but he looks like he took a step back to me.
Looked like the same very talented guy that can beat anyone or lose to anyone. Just not very freestyle savvy.

The Herbert matches were not regression. Herbert showed he was better in their match that Ruth won. Dominated most of the match then gassed.

Ruth hasn't regressed as much as he hasn't adjusted to freestyle as quickly/as much as most of us expected by now.

Reactions: dicemen99
I think it's fair to say that Ruth hasn't progressed as much in freestyle because his focus has been split with MMA. Also think his style isn't as well suited for freestyle. It's a testament to his talent that he can still win matches like the one with Gavin.

Looked like the same very talented guy that can beat anyone or lose to anyone. Just not very freestyle savvy.

The Herbert matches were not regression. Herbert showed he was better in their match that Ruth won. Dominated most of the match then gassed.

Ruth hasn't regressed as much as he hasn't adjusted to freestyle as quickly/as much as most of us expected by now.
Sorry Papa, I disagree with you, don't you know that Cael is the only coach out there that can coach freestyle! All others are wanna bees coaches. Look at all the wrestlers that he has coached that has won medals at World or Olympics?:)

Ed looked really good against Salas in April and then he hurt his shoulder against the Russian. Perhaps he's still dealing with that? In any case, a disappointing showing by the Truth.

Sorry Papa, I disagree with you, don't you know that Cael is the only coach out there that can coach freestyle! All others are wanna bees coaches. Look at all the wrestlers that he has coached that has won medals at World or Olympics?:)
Nice strawman

Is this like how John Smith is the only coach who can recruit HS kids once they've transferred to Stilly High?

Mike, I still think that Taylor is better than Dake.

Dake has beat him like 7 times in a roll, that like me saying Jordan Oliver is better than Metcalf. Jordan's my man but I do have two eyes and a brain that tells me as of now Metcalf is better. Your glasses need to be cleaned with all that tint on it!

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Mike, I still think that Taylor is better than Dake.
Taylor must give Gopher fans PTSD.

All sorts of fans live vicariously through Dake because their own guys were being teched and pinned during Taylor's Big 10 Reign of Terror. Common theme on TheMat boards.

I won't speak to those of my fellow fans in denial re: Dake/Taylor. I am not one of them - Dake is unreal. People in all sports value offense over defense - wrestling is no different.

Dake has beat him like 7 times in a roll, that like me saying Jordan Oliver is better than Metcalf. Jordan's my man but I do have two eyes and a brain that tells me as of now Metcalf is better. Your glasses need to be cleaned with all that tint on it!
I think Jammen was being ironic - as is his wont.

Reactions: jammenz
I think Jammen was being ironic - as is his wont.

The Internet at its best:

Opponent Fan 1 visits PSU board to troll with a poorly executed (grammatically & sarcastically & with poor spelling & word choice) comment.

Opponent Fan 2 visits PSU board to join said trolling with additional sarcasm (far-better executed).

Opponent Fan 1 misses sarcasm entirely, responds with more poor execution that includes '7 times in a roll' and assertion of possession of brain & eyes.

PSU Board Denizen clarifies situation for both trollers.

The Internet at its best:

Opponent Fan 1 visits PSU board to troll with a poorly executed (grammatically & sarcastically & with poor spelling & word choice) comment.

Opponent Fan 2 visits PSU board to join said trolling with additional sarcasm (far-better executed).

Opponent Fan 1 misses sarcasm entirely, responds with more poor execution that includes '7 times in a roll' and assertion of possession of brain & eyes.

PSU Board Denizen clarifies situation for both trollers.
Regarding Jammen's more agile trolling: we can say what we want about our Gopher antagonist, but he certainly better adheres to the basic grammar rules found in Strunk&White than some of our other more pesky visitors.

So he's got that going for him.

Reactions: royboy
Blue & white >> Strunk & White.

Now THERE is some trolling for ya.

Regarding Jammen's more agile trolling: we can say what we want about our Gopher antagonist, but he certainly better adheres to the basic grammar rules found in Strunk&White than some of our other more pesky visitors.

I love the image of our octogenarian Goopher friend being 'agile!'

You sure are purdy with the words, Chickenman.

Nice work, C.T. Don't often see an "Elements of Style" reference on a wrassling board.

You know those guys were Cornellians, right? Just sayin'... ;-)
Excellent - did not know that.

My dad is a Cornellian (Vet School) and I spent much time on the West Shore of Lake Cayuga (as well as time at Lynah Rink watching the great Joey Nieuwendyk).

Oh, and had my first underage drink in a bar at The Rongo.

So no Cornell hate here.

ADVERTISEMENT