ADVERTISEMENT

I know not many, 76er fans .....

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
but, would you trade Noel if Embid is healthy? In short, Embid at forward and Okafor at center. Noel will get you at least a top 5 pick, maybe higher given his good health and ability to protect the rim, big time.
I "think" Embid will not play next year and the team will get a chance to see if Noel and Okafor can play together? I do not see how that would work unless you get some REAL sharpshooters as teams collapse on Okafor. All in all, as a fan I am tired of the team not STOPPING the "process". I can't see NOT making some real effort to be better next year !!!!
Kind of humorous, the 76ers ticket office keeps calling me about buying tickets????

I agree with ro about seeing things play out on the court first. Maybe the Sixers can find a way to make all 3 work together.

If Noel's offensive game continues to improve, then why would you trade him? He's an ideal PF. Embiid and Okafor both play C, making that the real question for me.

I fear that Embid is the next Greg Oden. Injuries aren't fair, but they happen. Some guys are more prone than others.

There is no way all three can play at the same time. That would be a super slow line-up and no ball handling. Noel has to prove he can make a jump shot consistently to stay and Embid has to be healthy, he may be Greg Oden part 2. PF today need to be able to step outside and make shots. It's a 4 out-1 in game in the NBA unless you are Memphis. None of them are good enough passers to play the high post so someone needs to make 17 footers. Noel is the best shot blocker out of the group but can he guard a step out 4?

Okafor is easily the best offensive option on the sixers right now and he will only get better. I think they should get rid of Noel at the trade deadline next year and find some way to get a scoring wing and a PG. Wroten is ok, Covington was a nice surprise but neither of them are studs. I wish they had kept MCW.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
There is no way all three can play at the same time. That would be a super slow line-up and no ball handling. Noel has to prove he can make a jump shot consistently to stay and Embid has to be healthy, he may be Greg Oden part 2. PF today need to be able to step outside and make shots. It's a 4 out-1 in game in the NBA unless you are Memphis. None of them are good enough passers to play the high post so someone needs to make 17 footers. Noel is the best shot blocker out of the group but can he guard a step out 4?

Okafor is easily the best offensive option on the sixers right now and he will only get better. I think they should get rid of Noel at the trade deadline next year and find some way to get a scoring wing and a PG. Wroten is ok, Covington was a nice surprise but neither of them are studs. I wish they had kept MCW.

MCW, a very nice player on the right team. BUT, he can't shoot and on this team? I see NO WAY all three can play at the same time. Assuming all are healthy - Embid (the best all around, offense and defense) Noel (the best shot blocker defender, Okafor the best post offense. OK, maybe Noel in the center on D and Embid at PF.
OR, Okafor at center and Embid at PF. To me Embid can play the PF spot if healthy. He as the ability to move well and shoot mid range. I do not see, although they will try next year if Embid is not ready, Noel and Okafor. Unless, on offense we dump into Okafor and Noel just follows for rebounds? On defense Noel in the middle and Okafor at PF, not sure he can move well enough.

Kind of a mess, but how do you pass on their talent when drafted. Noel is NOW tradable, since he showed some of what he can do. Do you trade him? or do you try to see if he can play with Okafor. Goodness, I love Noel's defense :)

MCW, a very nice player on the right team. BUT, he can't shoot and on this team? I see NO WAY all three can play at the same time. Assuming all are healthy - Embid (the best all around, offense and defense) Noel (the best shot blocker defender, Okafor the best post offense. OK, maybe Noel in the center on D and Embid at PF.
OR, Okafor at center and Embid at PF. To me Embid can play the PF spot if healthy. He as the ability to move well and shoot mid range. I do not see, although they will try next year if Embid is not ready, Noel and Okafor. Unless, on offense we dump into Okafor and Noel just follows for rebounds? On defense Noel in the middle and Okafor at PF, not sure he can move well enough.

Kind of a mess, but how do you pass on their talent when drafted. Noel is NOW tradable, since he showed some of what he can do. Do you trade him? or do you try to see if he can play with Okafor. Goodness, I love Noel's defense :)

Pure guess here, but I think Okafor's now in the catbird seat as the primary franchise building block. Hinkie needs to show some progress NOW.

Okafor's the best piece to build around. Now it's just a matter of seeing how either Noel or Embiid fit. Sadly, I don't think the front office will ever trust Embiid enough to build around.

The history of big men with that injury is abysmal. Even if "healthy," there will always be significant potential for re-injury. The Sixers - or any franchise for that matter - can't bet the ranch on Embiid's career. That also limits his trade value.

They gambled and lost. It's time to move on.

Am I am alone in thinking that Noel's skill set actually would work better with Okafor than Embiid's game? Embiid obviously has all star potential but my personal preference would be that he be 1.healthy 2. performs well 3. Lands the Sixers some great options.

Next years draft is already being said to be really weak. Hopefully a bunch of guys emerge because this team is definitely going to get another top ten pick and most like a top ten Lakers pick(no way they will be top 3 bad unless they get really lucky in the lottery).

Pure guess here, but I think Okafor's now in the catbird seat as the primary franchise building block. Hinkie needs to show some progress NOW.

Okafor's the best piece to build around. Now it's just a matter of seeing how either Noel or Embiid fit. Sadly, I don't think the front office will ever trust Embiid enough to build around.

The history of big men with that injury is abysmal. Even if "healthy," there will always be significant potential for re-injury. The Sixers - or any franchise for that matter - can't bet the ranch on Embiid's career. That also limits his trade value.

They gambled and lost. It's time to move on.

I agree and thank you for spelling Embiid right. I didn't want to be the guy to point out a name error(though I kind of am now I guess).

Am I am alone in thinking that Noel's skill set actually would work better with Okafor than Embiid's game? Embiid obviously has all star potential but my personal preference would be that he be 1.healthy 2. performs well 3. Lands the Sixers some great options.

Agree; the Okafor/Noel combination can work well. Okafor as a scorer, and Noel for good defense and rebounding.

I think Okafor is going to be a very good pro; he can really score when he gets into the paint, and also passes well out of the double team. I think he can click with the Philadelphia fans, too.

Just a matter of time before they start referring to him as "Doctor Jah". :)

Don't worry, Philly will get another Top 3 choice again and try this all over. Hopefully before the league wakes up and changes the lottery process

Next years plethora of first round draft picks plus getting the kid back from Turkey should fill in any gaps and makes this an extremely talented but young team in another year. I think for this year, they just fill in at the guard positions as best they can and tread water.

The smart play is do nothing and wait everyone out. See who comes calling for the bait. When someone is desperate enough for a big man, sell then Embid. The guy will never come back from the foot so sit on him or get real value.

In the mean time, just build out with Noel and Oak. The kid from turkey shows up next year and that will spread the floor. What's another year to suck when the up side in drafts and loading up of more drafts play to your favor.

Don't even take players just load up on draft picks. There are so many bad teams that will give you the world for the junk the 76er's are carrying. Sell it to them.

The best thing for Oak is the team sucks in his first year and then he really gets mean.

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

From what I have read Siric (I think the kid's name from Turkey) is not that great a shooter. SO, they need to find at least 2 guards that can shoot and play perimeter defense. Is that a tall order? I know there are either types but to get guards that do both? Quite frankly a few years ago they had some shooters that played decent defense, but that was all they had. Bring Kyle Korver back !!!!!!!
My hope is that they find a couple of "shooters" this year and we can get to see IFFFFFFFF Noel and Okafor can play together.

That fine 3 million dollar fine they just imposed on the organization for the Jrue trade was complete bullshit. I don't know about blackballing but it seems like it's to the point that Hinkie might have a rough time even getting other GM's on the phone. I still agree with "the plan" but there is some serious issues.

has never seen and we will dominate, dynasty, and championships. Fill the rest of the needs through free agency, draft and or trades. We are set. Would love to see the 76'rs make a move for Lebron see post either below or above.

I agree that the best move now is to sit on them and hope that all 3 play this year. IF Embiid is healthy, it could make a nice 2-man Center rotation with Okafor. In a way, Embiid's slow recovery could be a blessing because it provides the Sixers a built in excuse for limiting his playing time. IE ... they can use the "we are working him back slowly...." excuse. Okafor starts at C, and Embiid comes off bench to provide him 10-12 minutes per night relief. This allows Okafor to ease into his rookie season, at the same time allows Embiid to play but limiting the exposure to his foot.

Best case scenario is that in his limited 10-12 minutes / night Embiid looks great. This gives the Sixers two options. If Noel struggles as the full time PF, then moving Noel is an option because Okafor can move over to PF, and then you go with Embiid at C, and Okafor at PF. Or, if Noel continues to develop as the full time PF, you keep Noel at PF, keep Okafor at C, and trade Embiid.

But in the long run, the 3 are not going to co-exist.

In the modern day NBA game, zero possibility of keeping three big men like that. I would try to sell high on Nerlens this season and try to get back a legit swingman and some depth. If Embid comes back that gives him a spot to play. If Embid is damaged goods, who cares as Okafur is the big man of the future and you only need one high quality big man in today's NBA.

Reactions: OMPats13
In the modern day NBA game, zero possibility of keeping three big men like that. I would try to sell high on Nerlens this season and try to get back a legit swingman and some depth. If Embid comes back that gives him a spot to play. If Embid is damaged goods, who cares as Okafur is the big man of the future and you only need one high quality big man in today's NBA.

Problem with "selling high" now on NN is that you could be a double-loser with double-egg-on-face... and like 99.99999% of GMs in any pro sport are not going to put themselves in that hypothetical situation.

If you did "sell high" right now and trade NN, and NN continues to develop and is a good PF, and Embiid re-injures his foot and becomes the next Greg Oden. Then basically Hinkie made two horrific decisions. 1. was trading a budding young PF in NN, and 2. was keeping the next Greg Oden. If this were to happen, then Hinkie not only loses his job with the Sixers, and probably never gets a GM job again.

I still say you just have to play all 3 this year in a rotation. I know this is NOT the LONG TERM solution. But it would allow things to play out. If Embiid gets injured again, you just have to chalk it up as a shot at swinging for a home run and instead you struck out.... But the consolation prize is pretty nice as you are still sitting on NN and Okafor.

Agree, in the current NBA, small ball is gaining popularity and none of the three big guys can guard a guy like Draymond Green or LBJ who play the PF spot on their teams. Embiid probably could have done it before injury and MAYBE he can still do it when/if he gets back to form. Also, my reason for wanting MCW wasnt so much for his own offense but the fact that he can create so much and then the sixers could focus on getting wings instead of a PG and wings. They still need so many parts......

but, would you trade Noel if Embid is healthy? In short, Embid at forward and Okafor at center. Noel will get you at least a top 5 pick, maybe higher given his good health and ability to protect the rim, big time.
I "think" Embid will not play next year and the team will get a chance to see if Noel and Okafor can play together? I do not see how that would work unless you get some REAL sharpshooters as teams collapse on Okafor. All in all, as a fan I am tired of the team not STOPPING the "process". I can't see NOT making some real effort to be better next year !!!!
Kind of humorous, the 76ers ticket office keeps calling me about buying tickets????
Noel is the only true four of the three. He is the best shot blocker of the three and can guard a stretch four. Not a great offensive player but need to keep him!!!! If embiid is healthy I can see him or okafor going, but I definitely see them experimenting with all three to see if it can work before trading any of them.

I am going on the premise that nobody will take Embid right now as he could be damaged goods.

You are not going to trade Okafur.

It makes no sense to have 3 big men, you really only need one in today's NBA.

Yes, Nerlens could turn into the next Wilt Chamberlin, but he could also turn into nothing more than a decent NBA player. If he has a nice start to the season, sell high. Yes it is a risk. But also a risk that he turns out to be a beanpole good defensive player with minimal offensive skills that gets nothing in return 2 years from now and Sixers just let him go via free agency. If you can sell Nerlens high for some real return (and not more draft picks) but a proven NBA swingman, then that is a direction.

Reactions: OMPats13
I am going on the premise that nobody will take Embid right now as he could be damaged goods.

You are not going to trade Okafur.

It makes no sense to have 3 big men, you really only need one in today's NBA.

Yes, Nerlens could turn into the next Wilt Chamberlin, but he could also turn into nothing more than a decent NBA player. If he has a nice start to the season, sell high. Yes it is a risk. But also a risk that he turns out to be a beanpole good defensive player with minimal offensive skills that gets nothing in return 2 years from now and Sixers just let him go via free agency. If you can sell Nerlens high for some real return (and not more draft picks) but a proven NBA swingman, then that is a direction.

I agree. But Embiid is the one with the most upside. You said NN could turn into the next Wilt Chamberlin... Actually he could not. At best NN could turn into a fine defensive PF. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a guy who plays great defense, who will also give you about 12-15 ppg and about 7-10 rpg. But NN simply does not have the offense... and chances are never will... to be the "next Wilt Chamberlin". NN will always have offensive limitations. On the other hand, IF ... and that's a big IF ... Embiid is healthy, and he can remain healthy, then it is actually Joel Embiid who has the potential to be the next "Hakeem Olojuwan". Embiid has fantastic (almost unstoppable) inside moves, and he has range to about 15-17 feet on his jumper.

But like you said, right now the market is very low for Embiid. If the Sixers could trade him, they would not get market value in return. That's why I say it's almost worth it to keep him and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that Embiid gets re-injured, or he never heals. In that scenario you still have a fantastic young combination of NN and Okafur. The combination of Okafur and NN is a really nice combo to build rest of team around. And if by chance of fate, Embiid gets and stays healthy... then you have a nice head-ache.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Need to keep all 3, and I think they all can complement each other's games. The biggest and most obvious question is Embiid's health. If Embiid is healtny, you play him at the 5 with Okafor at the 4, and Nerlens complements them both well by providing defensive coverage. As Kiber stated aboe, NN is very limited offensively and that part of his game will only improve so much, but Noel will protect the rim and can guard the stretch 4.

In that scenario, Noel very much has a role and I would not nor think the Sixers would get rid of him.

Okafor is a center not a PF, Embiid is the one who can possibly step out to play the 4, injury dependent. Noel defensively, is a rim protector, he had trouble guarding guys outside all year. No matter what, the sixers need wings who are better than what they have. Somehow go get one

Between the three players, you have the C and PF position covered. The 96 minutes per game from the two positions spread over the three players averages 32 minutes per game. That is plenty of enough time to satisfy all three and allow the other three positions to score from outside and handle the ball. Philly doesn't have those guards yet, but the point is, the three could co-exist for at least two years and then determine who rises to the top for longer term investments.

Ryan Howard is a very big dude. Okafor makes him look like a munchkin.
CIx5sGzWIAA3oe9.jpg

Reactions: WestSideLion
Ryan Howard is a very big dude. Okafor makes him look like a munchkin.
CIx5sGzWIAA3oe9.jpg

Yeah, basketball players are a whole different kind of big. Met Calvin Booth a couple of times--skinny but tall. The one that really got me was running into Perry Carter (old tOSU basketball player) on campus when I was in grad school. He kinda cast a biiiig shadow when he went by. Just a massive and tall guy.

Football players, OTOH, weren't *that* big when I was in school--had a class with Matt Suhey and met KiJana Carter and a couple of his friends at a reception in Columbus--they were not that big out of uniform

As indicated in the picture of Okafor holding a baseball, his hands are huuuge.

Can't think of another player who palms the ball so easily -- maybe back to Wilt. And it's a useful tool -- Okafor can extend his arm and control the ball with one hand when being defended, making it easier to pass out of double teams. He also catches anything near him and finishes great around the basket. Foul shots --- uh, another story.

My HS team did a TV commercial with Dr. J "many" years ago. His hands were massive, actually his fingers were unusually long. When we shook hands it looked like his fingers could have wrapped around my hand twice. I know other NBA players referred to his hands as "meat hooks". When filming the commercial a "very young" New York director had him dunk the ball for the camera over and over again. It was so effortless for him, it was like a normal person dropping a piece of paper in a trash can :)

Interestingly, Wilt had smaller hands than most of the elite centers that have played in the NBA.

I can verify that Wilt's teammate, "Luke Jackson", had small hands. Jackson was 6'10 and about 250-260.
I got to meet him after a 76ers game. His hand was not much bigger than mine. I am "maybe" 5'9". I did not take note of Wilt's hands, he was standing near Luke :)

Yes, I'm that old to have seen Wilt play. If I were picking an all-time team, Wilt would easily be my first choice. He was so good and athletic it was truly "freakish". He could REALLY jump !!!!

I think Okafur has a little Tim Duncan in him. His on the court play reminded me some of how Duncan plays in that he seemed to be a really smart player, not getting buy on just athletics alone.

Hinkie robbed Vivek(he continues to prove how insane he is) and the Kings on a massive scale. This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. Stauskas could turn into a really special sharp shooter in the right system. There is no victories in this trade for the Kings especially considering the Euro's will never make it over most likely and the money they freed up will be spent on overrated whiners like Rondo.

SIXERS GET
Nik Stauskas
Jason Thompson
Carl Landry
top-10 protected 1st two years after Sactown pays off an obligation to Chicago (top-10 protected for 2016 and 2017; else becomes 2nd in 2017), so 2018 at the earliest
right to swap 1sts in 2016
right to swap 1sts in 2017

KINGS GET
TBD 2nd
rights to Arturis Gudaitis
rights to Luka Mitrovic

Hinkie robbed Vivek(he continues to prove how insane he is) and the Kings on a massive scale. This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen. Stauskas could turn into a really special sharp shooter in the right system. There is no victories in this trade for the Kings especially considering the Euro's will never make it over most likely and the money they freed up will be spent on overrated whiners like Rondo.

SIXERS GET
Nik Stauskas
Jason Thompson
Carl Landry
top-10 protected 1st two years after Sactown pays off an obligation to Chicago (top-10 protected for 2016 and 2017; else becomes 2nd in 2017), so 2018 at the earliest
right to swap 1sts in 2016
right to swap 1sts in 2017

KINGS GET
TBD 2nd
rights to Arturis Gudaitis
rights to Luka Mitrovic

The right to swap 1st rounders with Kings in both '16and '17 is huge. The Kings will most likely stink very badly. Their deal with the Bulls is that the Bulls have their 1st rounder in 2016 as long as it is not a top 10 pick. So in reality, IF the Kings win the lottery, and finish with the #1 overall pick .... it goes to the Sixers. It would not go to Chicago because it is top 10 protected, and then the Sixers swoop in and execute the swap of first rounders. The Kings could be very very bad in each of the next 2 seasons, and the Sixers can simply exchange 1st rounders and take their position. This is huge. Add in a very good young Guard in Nik Stauskas and Hnkie just committed highway robbery.

It may be 30 years late in retribution but I almost feel this is some sort of franchise pay back for the mid 80s when the Sixers traded their 1st overall pick (who ended up being Brad Daugherty) to the Nets for Roy Hinson and then tuned around and traded Moses Malone and a few 1st rounders to the Bullets for Jeff Ruland. That entire sequence set in motion a downward spiral for 30 years. This type of deal seems like pay back.

Yeah, basketball players are a whole different kind of big. Met Calvin Booth a couple of times--skinny but tall. The one that really got me was running into Perry Carter (old tOSU basketball player) on campus when I was in grad school. He kinda cast a biiiig shadow when he went by. Just a massive and tall guy.

Football players, OTOH, weren't *that* big when I was in school--had a class with Matt Suhey and met KiJana Carter and a couple of his friends at a reception in Columbus--they were not that big out of uniform
I remember somehow finding myself next to Eric Cunningham and George Reihner. "Football players weren't that big when I was in school." Huh.

I remember somehow finding myself next to Eric Cunningham and George Reihner. "Football players weren't that big when I was in school." Huh.

To be fair, my examples were running backs and not linemen. *I'm* taller than Kijana--and I was only 5'10" at the time I met him. Still, I'm taller and bigger than my cousin, who *did* play line in HS (at Roxborough in the late 60s), though to be sure, I wasn't heavier in college as I was only 130 in those days.

ADVERTISEMENT