ADVERTISEMENT

I gave Barron a fair bit of slack when he came here, even to some extent after the fraudulent

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
"civility" bullshit. But now I am convinced that fat bonehead has gotta go:

Laurie Anne Stanell
7 hrs ·

To President Barron, who verbally attacked me as I walked out of the Bot meeting saying" you people are ruining this university, you should be saying what's good about this institution"
I responded to him saying "I love this University, it's the people who are running who I am upset with" he actually yelled at me from down the hall behind me.
So much for civility.

The joker is YELLING at an alumna in the hall after a BOT meeting? On one level it makes me really mad that he is that disrespectful, but on another, it should be viewed as a sign that he is losing it. The pressure is working if the guy is raging on "you people." That is Ross Perot-level batshit crazy. Keep up the pressure! We need to send some letters to the editor of the CDT calling for him to apologize or get out, or both.

Laurie Anne Stanell
7 hrs ·

To President Barron, who verbally attacked me as I walked out of the Bot meeting saying" you people are ruining this university, you should be saying what's good about this institution"
I responded to him saying "I love this University, it's the people who are running who I am upset with" he actually yelled at me from down the hall behind me.
So much for civility.

The joker is YELLING at an alumna in the hall after a BOT meeting? On one level it makes me really mad that he is that disrespectful, but on another, it should be viewed as a sign that he is losing it. The pressure is working if the guy is raging on "you people." That is Ross Perot-level batshit crazy. Keep up the pressure! We need to send some letters to the editor of the CDT calling for him to apologize or get out, or both.

It's typical of less than honest academics who are generally more concerned with appearances than truth. He apparently thought all he had to do at PSU was show up, shake some hands and beg for money. He appears to be cracking under the pressure of having to actually deal with a real situation.

His hypocrisy about the civility comment is funny. That definitely needs to be thrown back at him in the CDT/ Patriot News etc as well as at the next BoT meeting to his face.

I just posted about this in Barrys thread. Truly unreal..

WTF is wrong with eric? As you said I think the OG BOT and their toadies are starting to crack. It should be interesting to see who jumps ship first.

Reactions: Ski

Laurie Anne Stanell
7 hrs ·

So much for civility.

Tonight, for the first time, this type of information did not bother me. I realize it's because I just don't give a damn anymore. I feel like a total outsider and, unfortunately, I am. I will always treasure the memories and friendships I made during my college years, and after, but the Penn State of today is a place I barely recognize. Being in the fall of my life, and with winter fast approaching, there are more important things to me than dealing with the Barrons and Massers of the world. I despise them, but I concede them the field. I will likely still visit this Board because of the good people here, but like others, I expect my time to diminish. Perhaps I will feel differently about this tomorrow, or over time, but I fear not. God Bless those who continue the fight.

Tonight, for the first time, this type of information did not bother me. I realize it's because I just don't give a damn anymore. I feel like a total outsider and, unfortunately, I am. I will always treasure the memories and friendships I made during my college years, and after, but the Penn State of today is a place I barely recognize. Being in the fall of my life, and with winter fast approaching, there are more important things to me than dealing with the Barrons and Massers of the world. I despise them, but I concede them the field. I will likely still visit this Board because of the good people here, but like others, I expect my time to diminish. Perhaps I will feel differently about this tomorrow, or over time, but I fear not. God Bless those who continue the fight.

I'm right there with you. Very quickly losing interest in anything Penn St related (including all sports teams).

Last edited:
I feel the same way about this University. Those in charge have really killed my deep devotion to the school. Still engaged, but emotionally detached. I've been a longtime devotee of the school and proud of it's reputation , that in the course of a few years has been trashed by our own.

Painful to admit but I'm right there with you.

Reactions: Ski and es19
As you know fairgambit, I was right in the place where you are a few weeks ago. But now they are pissing me off. Now I will continue even if I come to the point where I do not care about PSU anymore-- I am not quitting. For Eric to lecture us about civility then shout at a concerned alumna: "You people are ruining this university..." is a sign that the pressure is starting to crack the guy.

Eric, this is just the merest beginning, my mealy-mouthed friend. If you think the pressure is bad now, wait until those who hired you are officially disgraced, rather than just disgraceful as you and they are now. Wait until everyone sees you cracking in public on a bigger scale than you cracked today with Ms. Stannell. Public raving at the stakeholders? Is that what you envisioned this job to entail? You are going to get a very troubling opportunity to let your true private self take over the public man. This stress is stripping away the filters which have allowed you to pretend to be reasonable, and when they are gone it is just going to be your id giving press conferences. I hope your wife advises you to quit before the madness destroys you.

Do not give up the fight. There is a very strong army of folks right now who are about to crack open the hidden secrets. Pepper Hamilton/Freeh just lost their request to hide from discovery. Barron is cracking. The alumni trustees have sued for and will win access to raw Freeh data. We are seeing the beginning of what we have been fighting for for so long. It's just getting started. We are in the fourth quarter on offense now. This team needs your support. Rally, don't fade.

Do not give up the fight. There is a very strong army of folks right now who are about to crack open the hidden secrets. Pepper Hamilton/Freeh just lost their request to hide from discovery. Barron is cracking. The alumni trustees have sued for and will win access to raw Freeh data. We are seeing the beginning of what we have been fighting for for so long. It's just getting started. We are in the fourth quarter on offense now. This team needs your support. Rally, don't fade.
Barron may be cracking from the pressure of trying to support his employers and play the part of the good soldier, and doing so in what is an impossible situation. They do not deserve his support.

He needs to get his head straight on that right off or it will only get worse for him.

Better to remain silent in a situation like that. It was a BOT meeting. Let the BOT members do the "cracking." Please.

Reactions: Ski and EPC FAN
This comment from ps4rs facebook nails it:

Barron wants people to say positive things about PSU, but supports the old BoT who paid Freeh $8 million+ to do the opposite and not the people who wish to undo that damage. HE IS NOT MAKING COMMON SENSE.

Great point by PS4RS. That says it all. Their desperation to move on shows once again.

As you know fairgambit, I was right in the place where you are a few weeks ago. But now they are pissing me off. Now I will continue even if I come to the point where I do not care about PSU anymore-- I am not quitting. For Eric to lecture us about civility then shout at a concerned alumna: "You people are ruining this university..." is a sign that the pressure is starting to crack the guy.

Eric, this is just the merest beginning, my mealy-mouthed friend. If you think the pressure is bad now, wait until those who hired you are officially disgraced, rather than just disgraceful as you and they are now. Wait until everyone sees you cracking in public on a bigger scale than you cracked today with Ms. Stannell. Public raving at the stakeholders? Is that what you envisioned this job to entail? You are going to get a very troubling opportunity to let your true private self take over the public man. This stress is stripping away the filters which have allowed you to pretend to be reasonable, and when they are gone it is just going to be your id giving press conferences. I hope your wife advises you to quit before the madness destroys you.
I have been feeling this way for a few months. But with Lubrano and gang still fighting, it keeps me going. With Judge Leete's decision regarding Freeh's law firm having to turn over discovery also encourages me. I still believe that if the feds ever finish their investigation with the Second Mile we should see a huge blow to this situation as we know it. IMO, this will show that this was never a University problem but a farce only to drawl the attention away from the big fish on the Second Miles side of the fence.

I'm pretty much with FG. I have begun to focus much less on Penn State and more and more on other things. Sad....really sad...Dr. Barro needs to be called out on every forum and paper for his "civility"..

Laurie Anne Stanell
7 hrs ·

So much for civility.

The claim that we are ruining this University is bogus at best. It is their response to any and all initiatives to gather the truth that is ruining it. It's easy to solve but damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead continues to be their motto. Give Lubrano et al what they asks for and quit fighting every issue. After the Spanier and Paterno suites are completed, none of the old guard BOT's will be on any boards, they'll be finished because of their own doing.

Reactions: jjsocrates and Ski

I am very close to this. I do still enjoy supporting the kids. But I truly doubt I will go to the tOSU game this year or our club's "tailgate" the night before. I'd have to deal with some of the AA brass, and I am not sure I could do that. I've sent my letters to the AA, Penn State, and a copy to PSU Giving (detailing why I am NOT giving to the scholarship fund honoring Williams). I did do one slightly childish thing with that, though the letters were polite. There was a recent US stamp issue honoring circus posters. I chose the ones with clowns on them to use to mail my letters. I'm sure it will go right over their heads, but I felt a little better.

Well said. I've compared the situation to being a Cleveland Browns fan. The real Browns are gone (to Baltimore) and there is some other team wearing their uniforms and occupying the same space that the real Browns used to occupy.

Penn State 2.0 is not a university to admire. Yes, faculty and students are doing great things, just like they are at every Big 10 school. But the aspects that made Penn State great and unique are gone and they are not coming back.

Well said. I've compared the situation to being a Cleveland Browns fan. The real Browns are gone (to Baltimore) and there is some other team wearing their uniforms and occupying the same space that the real Browns used to occupy.

Penn State 2.0 is not a university to admire. Yes, faculty and students are doing great things, just like they are at every Big 10 school. But the aspects that made Penn State great and unique are gone and they are not coming back.
I hope you are wrong. But I don't think you are.

Sooner or later you'll all wake up to the fact that "they" have won.

"They" bet that no matter how things played out, no matter what actions "they" took, no matter how "they" framed it, alumni/fans/prospective students would keep going to games, keep donating, and keep applying and then becoming students.

Guess what? "They" were right. Rightly or wrongly, it's undeniable and undebateable...."they" were 100% right.

Stop donating, stop going, stop supporting. That's the only way "they" will notice.

The way to fight isn't through email campaigns to "their" companies and other inboxes (such as president@psu.edu) read by secretaries. Go to legislators and campaign for reform. Support Ryan Bagwell's efforts. If neither of those two things work.....PSU as we know it is dead forever.

As you know fairgambit, I was right in the place where you are a few weeks ago. But now they are pissing me off. Now I will continue even if I come to the point where I do not care about PSU anymore-- I am not quitting.

I have been feeling this way for a few months. But with Lubrano and gang still fighting, it keeps me going.

Yes! We cannot quit, the BOT Trustees and the AA Council reps who are working for us are not quitting and need our support. On May 5 Dr. Barron said he was hearing from alumni “expressing both concern and fatigue in seeing our own Trustees suing their University.” I wrote him back to say I was an alumnus who fully supports the alumni elected trustees. He needs to hear in numbers from us to say we support those we elected. Tell him about yourself and simply tell him you support the alumni elected trustees and why; but please, don't make your message a personal attack or use crude language. That only will diminish the value of your message. It does not have to be lengthy, it just needs to be done.

Send it to: president@psu.edu

Reactions: Ski and fairgambit
Yes! We cannot quit, the BOT Trustees and the AA Council reps who are working for us are not quitting and need our support. On May 5 Dr. Barron said he was hearing from alumni “expressing both concern and fatigue in seeing our own Trustees suing their University.” I wrote him back to say I was an alumnus who fully supports the alumni elected trustees. He needs to hear in numbers from us to say we support those we elected. Tell him about yourself and simply tell him you support the alumni elected trustees and why; but please, don't make your message a personal attack or use crude language. That only will diminish the value of your message. It does not have to be lengthy, it just needs to be done.

Send it to: president@psu.edu

I agree, but at the same time, barron is a spin machine. It is clear that he is intent on undermining those who fight for the truth. Thus, he says the alums are expressing concern and fatigue over trustee lawsuits. He is just a puppet for the bot.

Laurie Anne Stanell
7 hrs ·

So much for civility.

Funny why he would care about comments, when they come from a small apathetic group?

He is motivating me to start giving again to the University.....The same $.02 I gave to the PSAA

Isn't the university's well being 95 percent tied to the students and faculty? What part is missing? No dead coach?

Funny why he would care about comments, when they come from a small apathetic group?

He is motivating me to start giving again to the University.....The same $.02 I gave to the PSAA

barron and the bot power bloc are feeling the heat. The peetz-led move-on campaign where this would all be forgotten in 2014 isn't working, and they know it. They see that the alumni-elected trustees and the Paternos are undeterred, and they see that little by little, they (the alumni-elected trustees and the Paternos) are winning this fight.

Reactions: Ski and psu1969a
I am very close to this. I do still enjoy supporting the kids. But I truly doubt I will go to the tOSU game this year or our club's "tailgate" the night before. I'd have to deal with some of the AA brass, and I am not sure I could do that. I've sent my letters to the AA, Penn State, and a copy to PSU Giving (detailing why I am NOT giving to the scholarship fund honoring Williams). I did do one slightly childish thing with that, though the letters were polite. There was a recent US stamp issue honoring circus posters. I chose the ones with clowns on them to use to mail my letters. I'm sure it will go right over their heads, but I felt a little better.
That's a great idea! I have to get a bunch of those and use them for appropriate mailings.

Isn't the university's well being 95 percent tied to the students and faculty? What part is missing? No dead coach?

Every Big 10 university has great faculty and staff. Well, not Rutgers. But you see the point, Penn State 2.0 is no longer special.

I know they cashed your check, but did you get the customary acknowledgment letter yet?
Not yet. I did get the annual fund note this week. I have not given since 2012, but I am thinking I may answer the request with another $.02. I have met the Dean several times, so a personal note will be added.

ADVERTISEMENT