ADVERTISEMENT

"Horseshoe-Curve" targeted by the Nazi's in WWII?

While growing up I had heard that there were small Garrsions of troups stationed at the Galitzin tunnel and the two tunnels and tresses on the Little Juniata in the gap just below Spruce Creek.

Reactions: TheGLOV
During the civil war Altoona was the scene of some of Lincoln’s war councils. The McKee gap had artillery emplacements to guard the way to Altoona. When I was much younger they could still be seen when the trees were without their leaves

The first Nazi's to land came ashore in Amagansett out on Long Island. The other half landed down in Florida a few days later. They were immediately confronted by a beach guard from the Coast Guard but they got by him and made it to the train station for the early train to NYC (probably the same one I would take from Montauk back in the 70s every Monday morning to head back to my city job). These four were probably the ones to do the Altoona raid but one of them called the FBI and all four were arrested. Plenty of stories about this on the internet. Here is one from the Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/...nd-in-amagansett-on-view-in-east-hampton.html

Just for discussion, if you were a Nazi saboteur in the WW2 era, which would you have rather taken out...1) The Curve 2) The Gallitzin Tunnels or 3) The Rockville Bridge?

maxresdefault.jpg

tunnels3.jpg

b50344487c5a3f4421e677f434c9e8b0.jpg

The Horseshoe Curve wasn’t the only German target in PA.

The American Car & Foundry plant in Berwick was another target. It was where Stuart tanks and related products were produced.

Yeah, the NAZIs were looking for Altoona, but couldn’t find it and ended up in Indianapolis. They’re still there, but to disguise their identity, they changed their acronym to NCAA.
Just for discussion, if you were a Nazi saboteur in the WW2 era, which would you have rather taken out...1) The Curve 2) The Gallitzin Tunnels or 3) The Rockville Bridge?

maxresdefault.jpg

tunnels3.jpg

b50344487c5a3f4421e677f434c9e8b0.jpg
I would think the tunnel. It would cause a severe choke point that would take a long time to repair. Rails are easily replaced and engineers might have been able to construct a pontoon bridge strong enough to support a railway and trains.

Reactions: djr4rebs
My mother grew up in the Dutch Hill neghborhood mentioned in the article. At the time, my grandfather told my Mom and her siblings to tell anyone who asked that they were Austrian rather than German.

Reactions: bytir
I had always heard that the Russians had a nuke targeting Altoona rail yard back in the 60's. Who knows if it's true.

Taking out the horseshoe curve would have been very detrimental to the war effort. I believe the majority of steel from Pittsburgh and probably numerous other supplies to the Eastern seaboard for shipping overseas went through there. If it was hit hard enough, the topography there would have made reconstructing the tracks very difficult.

A little background on the Curve.....

The curve was co-designed by J. Edgar Thomson, chief engineer of the PRR who would go on to become its president. When Andy Carnegie built a new steel mill in Braddock in the 1870's he named it after his best customer....The Edgar Thomson Works. The ET Works now consist of the iron and steel making portion of the Mon Valley Works and include the last two (2) operating blast furnaces in the state of PA.

Fun thread. I've heard that Emporium PA had mandatory black outs because Sylvania made radar equipment there (the screens, I believe).

Also, on a side note, I was told by someone who would know that there were three guys arrested not long after 9-11 for plotting terrorism. When searched, their place had detailed plans of the Kinzua dam with damage assessments if it were taken out. The thought was that it was one of several candidates for destruction and they were awaiting final determination as to what was the next US target.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT