ADVERTISEMENT

"Hip-Drop" tackle now a penalty

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
It will be interesting to see how this gets called. I know that there are blatant hip drop tackles but it feels like this is part of the flow of the game as well.

It will be interesting to see how this gets called. I know that there are blatant hip drop tackles but it feels like this is part of the flow of the game as well.

Player safety in theory is the priority so it will probably be called too often at first then fade like most things

Gonn

Gonna be tough to call. Tackling is difficult with , speed , angle, size and a whole lot more involved.

And running stats and yards after catch will go way up. Very difficult for a 180 lb dback to bring down a 240 lb running back at full speed. Might even see more dbacks getting injured.

Can’t lead with helmets, can’t wrap and twist a guy down. Gonna see lots of those scrums moving 5-10 yards down the field.

Gonn

Gonna be tough to call. Tackling is difficult with , speed , angle, size and a whole lot more involved.

And running stats and yards after catch will go way up. Very difficult for a 180 lb dback to bring down a 240 lb running back at full speed. Might even see more dbacks getting injured.

Can’t lead with helmets, can’t wrap and twist a guy down. Gonna see lots of those scrums moving 5-10 yards down the field.
yep.. but scoring has been dropping the last four years so I am unconcerned. For me, the problem is that this seems to be another arbitrary call for the refs. maybe I am wrong here but I can see a DB coming in at a 45-degree angle and his hips coming around as part of the hit and being called a penalty.

Had to be done, really.

Mind you in rugby you can turn the ball over if tackled in open space with no teammates nearby. In other words, it’s stupid in rugby at times to try to break through tackles. Guys drag a body or two and then intentionally go down and place the ball for teammates. Note that in the NFL it’s sexy to try and drag guys 10 yards until they fall on your legs and you get a high ankle sprain. Some of these injury prevention mandates should also work toward incentivizing the offense to avoid putting themselves in injury inducing situations. But it’s still mostly about being a badass until you get hurt.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Mind you in rugby you can turn the ball over if tackled in open space with no teammates nearby. In other words, it’s stupid in rugby at times to try to break through tackles. Guys drag a body or two and then intentionally go down and place the ball for teammates. Note that in the NFL it’s sexy to try and drag guys 10 yards until they fall on your legs and you get a high ankle sprain. Some of these injury prevention mandates should also work toward incentivizing the offense to avoid putting themselves in injury inducing situations. But it’s still mostly about being a badass until you get hurt.
you bring up an interesting point. I don't know the rules of Rugby. But the ten yards to get a first down is huge in the RB trying to get one more yard (or more). Staying ahead of the chains is huge. It would be touch to ask a RB to take a knee when hit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT