ADVERTISEMENT

Help former PSU wrestler John Hanrahan get to the World Championships

This is worthy thing to donate to, and I hope many of you will do so.

John often joins in the chats on The Open Mat or InterMat for PSU matches. I've exchanged a few things with him in the chats over the years.

I want to put in another plug here. This is a former PSU wrestler who was an All American. He's wrestling at an age where most former wrestlers have long since given up the sport. He won the Greco-Roman and the FS events at 85 kg at the Veteran National Champions division of the US Open Wrestling Championships in early May.

So far, only 3 people have donated. I find that pretty sad. Many of you could donate $5/, $10, $15, $20, or whatever, and help John defray his costs at Worlds. The late kr always engaged John Hanrahan in the chats I mentioned in my earlier post, as kr had a deep respect for PSU's wrestling history.

Roar, do you know if the PSWC is organizing anything to assist John with his expenses?

It's your money, and you can spend it any way that you see fit. I just think many of you could, and should, donate a small amount to John in this endeavor. Let's show John some PSU spirit, and assist him.

I want to put in another plug here. This is a former PSU wrestler who was an All American. He's wrestling at an age where most former wrestlers have long since given up the sport. He won the Greco-Roman and the FS events at 85 kg at the Veteran National Champions division of the US Open Wrestling Championships in early May.

So far, only 3 people have donated. I find that pretty sad. Many of you could donate $5/, $10, $15, $20, or whatever, and help John defray his costs at Worlds. The late kr always engaged John Hanrahan in the chats I mentioned in my earlier post, as kr had a deep respect for PSU's wrestling history.

Roar, do you know if the PSWC is organizing anything to assist John with his expenses?

It's your money, and you can spend it any way that you see fit. I just think many of you could, and should, donate a small amount to John in this endeavor. Let's show John some PSU spirit, and assist him.
Tom, The PSWC will not have an opportunity to discuss this situation. I have personally donated to the cause, but our club slows operations in the summer months while all the volunteers plan and organize our activities for the fans for the following year. We have not met since April. I think what you and Lar have done here and on Scout are commendable. Surprising that more have not donated.

...I would like to donate to John...

...I understand gofundme takes a cut of the proceeds...

...does John have an address posted anywhere where direct donations can be made?...

does John have an address posted anywhere where direct donations can be made?

I'm sure he has such an address, but I don't have it. Perhaps Lar does, and can provide it to you. Or, perhaps Roar has the address, and can provide it to you.

I believe you're right about GoFundMe taking a cut, but I don't believe it's that large, so if most of my $$ go to John, I'm happy to use that avenue.

So far, only 3 people have donated. I find that pretty sad.

Tom, I think its wrong of you to criticize people for not donating to this cause. It was fine to make everyone aware, but that's where it should have stopped. I'm sorry if its sad that I find starvation, homelessness, and sick children more important than someone wanting to wrestle in a tournament.

"So far, only 3 people have donated. I find that pretty sad. Many of you could donate $5/, $10, $15, $20, or whatever, and help John defray his costs at Worlds.

It's your money, and you can spend it any way that you see fit. I just think many of you could, and should, donate a small amount to John in this endeavor."

Tom:
Too harsh. A turnoff.

I don't mind being asked for $. But I am definitely turned off when somebody says it's "sad" if I don't give, or if I "should" donate.
We are grown men, brothers in the wrestling community. But to publically try to guilt folks into forking over their money......felt like I was in church for a minute.

Good luck to John

ADVERTISEMENT