Greg Norman is ...........

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 23, 2007
TERRIBLE !!

"That's a pretty good shot"
"He's got long way to go for next shot"
"That could have a lot better"
"Look at that drive, straight down the middle"

Makes Joe "he's a heck of guy" Namath on MNF look like a genius. He doesn't criticize any player, and his "analysis" can be made by any hacker with an ounce of knowledge of the game. Couldn't even caddy for Johnny Miller on his best day.

TERRIBLE !!

"That's a pretty good shot"
"He's got long way to go for next shot"
"That could have a lot better"
"Look at that drive, straight down the middle"

Makes Joe "he's a heck of guy" Namath on MNF look like a genius. He doesn't criticize any player, and his "analysis" can be made by any hacker with an ounce of knowledge of the game. Couldn't even caddy for Johnny Miller on his best day.
Yeah, I cannot see why people cannot make TV golf exciting for the viewer. Myself, I missed the tourney. I was watching paint dry.

Being critical of announcers here, whatever the sport, is a popular diversion. To me, they're like wallpaper. The only sportscaster I miss is Keith Jackson.

Those announcers were completely lost last night. SPeith makes his long putt to go up 3 shots with three holes to go and the announcers didn't even speak for literally 30 seconds after the putt went in. Not a word about it.

All the shuffling of the leaderboard in the last hour of coverage seemed to have them flustered so they just clammed up. No analysis of the difficulty of DJ's eagle putt or the risk of blowing it by the hole. It was bizarre.

plus no one noticed, maybe it was just my imagination, but it looked as though DJ was pretty emotional walking up to the 18th green, apparently the situation (having a putt to win the US Open - something everyone dreams about, just like playing around as kids, bottom of the 9th of the World Series stuff) - the moment became too big for him... but yeah, even if that wasn't the case there was no mention from any of the announcers how difficult the eagle putt was... I am sure all of the NBC crew sitting at home was like, 'yeah, we made it look easy'... but pulling off a telecast like the US Open (or CBS crew at the Masters) ain't as easy as it looks.. from the director/producer all the way to the announcers. 'cause the director had little clue what he was doing all weekend as well. for an example... and I had to rewind it a few times to make sure, but on Saturday they showed an eagle attempt by Spieth and then when they went back to him, they showed his tap in for par... they completely missed/didn't show the birdie attempt!?!!

The silence after Spieths putt was great, I don't need somebody telling me how big a putt that was (especially that crew)

Norman was obviously a first time announcer at this stage. I thought he did OK all things considering. Obviously he is not as polished as some guys as he doesn't have the experience. Second, a good color commentator can only be as good as the play by play guy setting them up. And Joe Buck is horrible, so it didn't matter if you had Jack Nicklaus sitting next to Joe Buck, anybody would have looked bad.

The on the course guys that Fox had were bad. Very little insight into what was going on, etc...they all should be fired.

Was it me or was background music that was the lead into a commercial randomly occurring multiple times yesterday when they actually did not go to commercial. The production of the whole event was really bad, i would bet whoever the lead producer was will be fired or demoted.

But Holly Sonders made up for most of it.

The silence after Spieths putt was great, I don't need somebody telling me how big a putt that was (especially that crew)

It was not silence to let the audience soak in the moment. It was silence because the announcers were completely distracted and lost.

The New York Times article pointed out the Greg Norman gave zero analysis of DJ's eagle putt. He didn't say a word about it. No camera on Speith to get his reaction to the miss either.

They did get a nice shot of Gretzky's daughters open blouse after the tourney was over.

It's easy to pick on Fox for their coverage. It's their first "Major Championship" for golf. They scrambled a team together. Remember, Fox revolutionized football with the scoreboard on all the time in the top corner, as well as the first down image. They failed with laser puck, fine. The point is, they will push the envelope to try new things. I loved the shot tracer off the tee.

Still better than Toricco and Berman...

It's easy to pick on Fox for their coverage. It's their first "Major Championship" for golf. They scrambled a team together. Remember, Fox revolutionized football with the scoreboard on all the time in the top corner, as well as the first down image. They failed with laser puck, fine. The point is, they will push the envelope to try new things. I loved the shot tracer off the tee.

Still better than Toricco and Berman...
You mean you didn't miss Boomer?

Reactions: Columbus_Lion
Being critical of announcers here, whatever the sport, is a popular diversion. To me, they're like wallpaper. The only sportscaster I miss is Keith Jackson.
I miss the Chris Schenkel and Bud Wilkinson team. The best ever. These two guys called all of the "games of the century". Keith Jackson was awesome but in a different way.

ADVERTISEMENT