ADVERTISEMENT

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!! USA 1 China 0

Lloyd was having the worst game of any member of the USA team, but she gets the goal. Go figure.

This is the USA's best showing in the World Cup. Are the changes to the US lineup the reason, or are the Chinese not very good. Probably a combination of both.

Reactions: simons96
Lloyd was having the worst game of any member of the USA team, but she gets the goal. Go figure.

This is the USA's best showing in the World Cup. Are the changes to the US lineup the reason, or are the Chinese not very good. Probably a combination of both.

most telling stat is shots (sog)

China 4 (0)
USA 14 (5)

seems like they are spending most of the match in Chinese territory

That is Lloyd though. She gives balls away she should not but she has moments of insane brilliance. The ball she played in the first minute was as good a ball as I have seen at this Cup. Outside of the boot and perfectly weighted.

Everything changes without Wambach on the field. The U.S. has more team speed than any team in the world. When they press high they are so effective.

one thing I am noticing on the shot chart is ALL the SOG by China are from outside the goalie box

a majority of the USA SOG have been inside the goalie box

Reactions: hlstone
That is Lloyd though. She gives balls away she should not but she has moments of insane brilliance. The ball she played in the first minute was as good a ball as I have seen at this Cup. Outside of the boot and perfectly weighted.

Everything changes without Wambach on the field. The U.S. has more team speed than any team in the world. When they press high they are so effective.
This! Keep Wambach off. Not only does she clog up the offense when she gets in, but the other players defer way too much to her and weaken their games - you saw it in the short time she was in tonight.

Monster in her day, but she looks like Sheva during his Chelsea days - old and in the way.

This! Keep Wambach off. Not only does she clog up the offense when she gets in, but the other players defer way too much to her and weaken their games - you saw it in the short time she was in tonight.

Monster in her day, but she looks like Sheva during his Chelsea days - old and in the way.

I think there is a place for Wambach as a pure number 9 if the U.S. played a 3 front, but they would have had to work in that formation prior to the Cup. Changing now would be impossible, especially given Ellis' lack of tactical imagination as a coach. It seemed clear last night the U.S. has the most depth and athleticism in the tournament. Hopefully they can overcome the poor coaching and grind it out against Germany.

Unfortunately, I give them very little chance against Germany. The defense has been great (especially Johnston), but the offense has been very unimaginiative and can't find the right pairing up top for this 4-4-2 formation. My prediction is 2-0 Germany. Hopefully I am wrong!

Unfortunately, I give them very little chance against Germany. The defense has been great (especially Johnston), but the offense has been very unimaginiative and can't find the right pairing up top for this 4-4-2 formation. My prediction is 2-0 Germany. Hopefully I am wrong!

The lack of the USA's ability to score certainly makes it seem they'll have a tough going against Germany. Perhaps their speed and athleticism has had teams being cautious and therefore to be more defense than offense minded in game planning. Maybe the German push on offense will open up more opportunities on breakaways and steals for the USA and take the lid off the scoring.
One thing in the earlier games, that did not seem to happen so much against China, was the USA passes were not sharp. They missed so many chances with balls to high or not on the foot. The passing seemed much sharper against China. I think Ali made a whole bunch of passes right to her target, and the team passed very well overall. I'll take this a sign they are finding their groove and may be ready to peak.

So you give the number two team with historical pedigree little chance against the Number 1 team? I would give Germany the edge but little chance? Are you kidding?

USA and Deutchland are imo pretty evenly matched. I look for a tight game and a home crowd. 2-1 USA

So you give the number two team with historical pedigree little chance against the Number 1 team? I would give Germany the edge but little chance? Are you kidding?

Earlier in the tournament it looked like Germany would roll the US, but last night you could see the depth the U.S. has really starting to tell.
Germany played 120 minutes yesterday and was dominated for much of the game and the U.S. had a comfortable win while resting 2 of their best players. And it's a cliche, but "if the other team has zero you can't lose". It is setting up nicely for the U.S. If the game is decided in regulation I believe the US wins.

Reactions: stneumann83
one thing I am noticing on the shot chart is ALL the SOG by China are from outside the goalie box

a majority of the USA SOG have been inside the goalie box
Inside the eighteen would be the right terminology. Not trying to be a know it all but inside the eighteen or even out side the penalty area would be the proper term.

Although I devoured the men's World Cup last year, I haven't been all that into the women's World Cup this year (for the same reason I don't watch women's basketball). I will say, however, how nice it is to go through an incisive, intelligent thread on the World Cup where every other post isn't all about how much soccer sucks. Maybe there is some advantage to this newfangled topic view thing. Umm, nah. LOL.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
I will say, however, how nice it is to go through an incisive, intelligent thread on the World Cup where every other post isn't all about how much soccer sucks.

Well, the guy that posted all of the "soccer sucks" posts during the men's World Cup is no longer with us...

She really hasn't had a good tournament from an attacking standpoint. On the other hand she is helping the U.S. shut everyone down.

Thing is the defense has been good, but outside of Australia, the US hasn't played anyone with much offense. Australia actually beat the USA D alot, but Hope Solo came up big.

I also think the ride ends Tuesday. Germany Frontline is fast and I worry about Johnston against them. I also worry about Jill Ellis. She made the right moves yesterday, but that was against a pretty inexpereince squad. I think against Germany she will need to look at a possible 4-1-2-3 formation. Getting Rapinoe back will help tho.

Although I devoured the men's World Cup last year, I haven't been all that into the women's World Cup this year (for the same reason I don't watch women's basketball). I will say, however, how nice it is to go through an incisive, intelligent thread on the World Cup where every other post isn't all about how much soccer sucks. Maybe there is some advantage to this newfangled topic view thing. Umm, nah. LOL.

Soccer sucks!! Feel better now? ;).

In all seriousness, I think most people don't watch the women's sports like the men's so the audience (especially non soccer fans who just tune in for big events) is significantly decreased. Also, while I haven't watched much of the women's World Cup, I think the degree of flopping is really decreased (which was a main complaint in the men's WC). I heard some people talking about Colombia flops but haven't heard it mentioned the rest of the tourney. The biggest mention was the Denver Outlaw joke that caused a fury more than the game itself. ;)

In all seriousness, I think most people don't watch the women's sports like the men's so the audience (especially non soccer fans who just tune in for big events) is significantly decreased. Also, while I haven't watched much of the women's World Cup, I think the degree of flopping is really decreased (which was a main complaint in the men's WC). I heard some people talking about Colombia flops but haven't heard it mentioned the rest of the tourney. The biggest mention was the Denver Outlaw joke that caused a fury more than the game itself. ;)

I coached 4 years of Boys HS, including Pa West, I then moved on to Collegiate Women's D2/D3.

I can tell you the games are so different. The guys game is so much faster and more physical.

I coached 4 years of Boys HS, including Pa West, I then moved on to Collegiate Women's D2/D3.

I can tell you the games are so different. The guys game is so much faster and more physical.

I agree. I was just trying to account for the reaction differences between the men's WC in Brazil and the women's WC.

I think the degree of flopping is really decreased (which was a main complaint in the men's WC).

I don't remember where I saw this picture, but it could not have been more appropriate to the complaint you mention, though I'm not saying the player injured here was faking it.
Edited: The background was a Sony ad running at the time using their branding message introduced in 2009 and it was from a match during the 2010 World Cup. #10 Lukas Podolski vs Spain July 7.
40978_1515236114512_1540901_n.jpg

Last edited:

The women definitely deserve credit for way less gamesmanship and diving. Hopefully it continues. Certain men's games at the top level - especially if they involve Portugal or other dive-happy teams - can be a disgrace.

Definitely not something the women need to imitate

The women definitely deserve credit for way less gamesmanship and diving. Hopefully it continues. Certain men's games at the top level - especially if they involve Portugal or other dive-happy teams - can be a disgrace.

Definitely not something the women need to imitate

Watch any NBA game and tell me they aren't flopping at every opportunity. And on top of that they only really play hard for about 10% of the game. There is no excuse for diving, but good refereeing can mitigate it. And it is hardly endemic to only soccer. The same Neanderthals who were on the "soccer sucks" bandwagon 30 years ago have moved onto the diving nonsense as a means to criticize a game they barely understand. Sorry to get on the high horse. It's not directed at you.

Wambach plays a lot like Landon Donovan did a few years ago . . . not as fast, but has incredible vision and patience . . . and doesn't give up the ball!

Watch any NBA game and tell me they aren't flopping at every opportunity. And on top of that they only really play hard for about 10% of the game. There is no excuse for diving, but good refereeing can mitigate it. And it is hardly endemic to only soccer. The same Neanderthals who were on the "soccer sucks" bandwagon 30 years ago have moved onto the diving nonsense as a means to criticize a game they barely understand. Sorry to get on the high horse. It's not directed at you.
And yet they are the same people who applaud Derek Jeter for faking that a ball hit him on the hand - they call that being a savvy pro.

Wambach plays a lot like Landon Donovan did a few years ago . . . not as fast, but has incredible vision and patience . . . and doesn't give up the ball!
She is also probably their best player in using her head.

She was probably kicking her self last night watching some of the misses on those first half corners.
Her and Alex Morgan works so well together, one of the reasons. I would like to see them go to a 3 forward formation.

Sorry if you're a Yankee fan and can't handle your God bring criticized, but that was cheating every bit as bad as a classic Italian soccer dive.

Sorry you didn't play either sport apparently. We were taught to steel signs and crowd the plate long before Jeter played in MLB. BTW, the best divers are from South America.

Sorry you didn't play either sport apparently. We were taught to steel signs and crowd the plate long before Jeter played in MLB. BTW, the best divers are from South America.
Does D1 soccer count? I think I know a little bit about the game and am quite aware of the diving proclivities of the Argies and the like. The Italians set the early standard, though.

As for baseball, my post was buttressing an earlier point about the hypocrisy of he-man American soccer haters who point to diving in the game as something real "American" sports and athletes would never indulge in - overlooking the fact that our sports are rife with cheating and fakery. Jeter was just an example as even he, a consummate pro, does this stuff. I could point out Duke BBall and flopping and countless other examples.

I think we're on the same side here.

Sorry you didn't play either sport apparently. We were taught to steel signs and crowd the plate.
Does D1 soccer count? I think I know a little bit about the game and am quite aware of the diving proclivities of the Argies and the like. The Italians set the early standard, though.

As for baseball, my post was buttressing an earlier point about the hypocrisy of he-man American soccer haters who point to diving in the game as something real "American" sports and athletes would never indulge in - overlooking the fact that our sports are rife with cheating and fakery. Jeter was just an example as even he, a consummate pro, does this stuff. I could point out Duke BBall and flopping and countless other examples.

I think we're on the same side here.

Baseball is not riddled with fake hit by pitches. Soccer even for the most loyal fans has to be cured of the diving. Post game reviews and harsher suspensions need to occur at the highest levels.

Baseball is not riddled with fake hit by pitches. Soccer even for the most loyal fans has to be cured of the diving. Post game reviews and harsher suspensions need to occur at the highest levels.
Absolutely agree 100%. Even the knowledge of post game review would cut that crap out almost entirely. I love the game, but despise diving. It's even worse that some of the best players (e.g. Cristiano Ronaldo) are some of the worst offenders. One thing I love about Messi is that he gets hacked constantly, but rides a lot of tackles and plays pretty honestly.

Hockey is by far the worst diving sport in the world. I seriously can't even watch a NHL game anymore.

Soccer has its divers, but the men are 100x worst then the women. I shouldn't say 100x worst, we seen a few games this world cup with alot of diving. I thought USA-Sweden match had alot, as did the France-Germany match yesterday, which was a result of 6 yellow cards.

Good call LaJolla. The two biggest flopping teams this WC (by far) were Brazil and Columbia. I joked that two Columbian women fell down on their way to the locker room at halftime trying to get a call.

For those criticizing my "little chance" comment, I made it before the China game where they clearly played their best soccer. It showed their depth as arguably their two best middies were sitting in the stands. I hate using the "common opponent" method of evaluation, but the way Germany destroyed Sweden while the US was lucky to come out with a draw (thank you Meghan Klingenberg) against the Swedes doesn't give me much hope. If they can somehow put one in early and then compact the middle of the field they could squeak into the finals with a 1-0 win.

Once the knock-out round brackets were finalized I called a Germany-Japan final. Unfortunately, I am still sticking to that prediction (hope I am wrong)!

Good call LaJolla. The two biggest flopping teams this WC (by far) were Brazil and Columbia. I joked that two Columbian women fell down on their way to the locker room at halftime trying to get a call.

For those criticizing my "little chance" comment, I made it before the China game where they clearly played their best soccer. It showed their depth as arguably their two best middies were sitting in the stands. I hate using the "common opponent" method of evaluation, but the way Germany destroyed Sweden while the US was lucky to come out with a draw (thank you Meghan Klingenberg) against the Swedes doesn't give me much hope. If they can somehow put one in early and then compact the middle of the field they could squeak into the finals with a 1-0 win.

Once the knock-out round brackets were finalized I called a Germany-Japan final. Unfortunately, I am still sticking to that prediction (hope I am wrong)!

What a bold prediction Dude. Congrats. You and about 15M others predicted the two favorites to meet in the finals.

What a bold prediction Dude. Congrats. You and about 15M others predicted the two favorites to meet in the finals.
Have no clue who the favorites are/were or where anyone is ranked. The prediction was solely based on watching the games in group play. Dude

Have no clue who the favorites are/were or where anyone is ranked. The prediction was solely based on watching the games in group play. Dude

Considering they mentioned the world's top 5 in every match during Group Stage..

1) Germany
2) USA
3) France
4) Japan
5) Sweden

ADVERTISEMENT