ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones: A couple of no-spoiler questions.

PSU Michigan

May 29, 2001
These simply can't be spoilers, as we are currently out of season.

Are Jon Snow and Ramsey Snow blood brothers? I really not so sure. I know they are both considered bastard sons at that, but I am guessing they maybe share only the same mother? Am I correct that Jon's father is Ned Stark, while Ramsey is fathered by Roose Bolten?

Since the poisoning of King Joffrey, is there a more despicable character on the show than is Ramsey Snow Bolton?

Thanks to the input by those of you that consider yourselves resident experts.

Snow is the generic last name given to bastards, regardless of father.

Stannis seems to be giving Ramsey a run for the title after burning his daughter alive.

Reactions: jjsocrates
You are correct about Ramsey Snow. It is assumed at this point that Jon Snow is Ned Stark's son, but it hasn't been clearly defined. There is some speculation that the Ned Stark may not actually have fathered Jon, rather that he is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Ned's sister Lyanna.

Snow is the generic last name given to bastards, regardless of father.

Stannis seems to be giving Ramsey a run for the title after burning his daughter alive.

Snow is for the North only. Other ones are Waters, Pike, Rivers, Hill, Flowers, Storm and Sand.

You are correct about Ramsey Snow. It is assumed at this point that Jon Snow is Ned Stark's son, but it hasn't been clearly defined. There is some speculation that the Ned Stark may not actually have fathered Jon, rather that he is the child of Rhaegar Targaryen and Ned's sister Lyanna.

If this is even close to accurate, Then he has strayed far from the books.......

If this is even close to accurate, Then he has strayed far from the books.......

I never read the books, but I am curious as to why you say "he has strayed far from the books" if Jon Snow turns out to be the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. I have seen this theory discussed on GOT forums and based on what I have read, there is an opening for this scenario. As I understand it, there is not a lot of information about what happened when Ned Stark found his sister and her death.

Ramsey and Jon are in no way related. Ramsey is the son of Roose Bolton and a women he raped right after he killed her husband.

Jon Snow is the claimed son of Ned Stark who refuses to tell anyone who his mother is. It is assumed by readers that he is not Ned's son and is actually the son of Ned's sister Lyanna who died giving birth to him at the Tower of Joy (speculation that we will see that in a flashback this season) and Crown Prince Rhaegar Targaryen. Ned lied about his birth to protect Jon from his best friend, and newly minted king, Robert Baratheon, who would kill every Targaryen he could find.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
In both the books and the show, Jon is known as Ned's son (from a tavern wench). Ned calls him his blood, take that for what it's worth. There are strong hints that lead to other theories, which will most likely be revealed in the next book/next season. Legally, to all of Westeros, for now, Jon is/was Ned's son, whether that's his true parentage or not.

I must have a faulty memory....I could have sworn there was a piece about the woman Ned strayed with. This is the first time I have heard or even thought that Jon Snow wasn't Ned's. I've read the books three times over.......Time for the 4th reading!

Ned mentions her name in a brief discussion with Robert but refuses to go into any details. Countless other characters hint at how that's not Ned's style to father a bastard with a random tavern wench. Other clues hint at the R+L=J theory, including ones this season on GOT.

Ned mentions her name in a brief discussion with Robert but refuses to go into any details. Countless other characters hint at how that's not Ned's style to father a bastard with a random tavern wench. Other clues hint at the R+L=J theory, including ones this season on GOT.

On the show, when he and Robert are having lunch (while traveling the King's Road), Ned says he'll tell him about Jon's mother one day. Ned also says the same thing to Jon when he departs for The Wall. This, and all the speculation, certainly suggest she was more than some mere bar wench or prostitute. Ned isn't the type to stray....

On the show, when he and Robert are having lunch (while traveling the King's Road), Ned says he'll tell him about Jon's mother one day. Ned also says the same thing to Jon when he departs for The Wall. This, and all the speculation, certainly suggest she was more than some mere bar wench or prostitute. Ned isn't the type to stray....

In season 1, Ned says that to Jon, yes, not Robert. Ned confirms the name Wylla to Robert but refuses to describe what she looked like or say anything more, to which Robert tells him not to be so hard on himself since they were at war and could have died at any time. No more was mentioned.

Season 5 was the first I believe when we saw any character openly speak his doubts, when Stannis told Sylese he doubts Jon is a bastard from a tavern slut since that wasn't Ned's way.

Other season 5 moments that add fuel to the fire:
-The backstory of both Lyanna and Rhaegar brought up often this season, also the first time you start to hear of Rhaegar in more of a positive light
-When Maester Aemon is lamenting to Sam that he's the last Targ left other than Dany and a Targ alone in the world is a terrible thing, Jon walks into the room at that precise moment. The camera holds on him after Aemon's comment and Jon says nothing, but it seems to be quite an intended moment.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
In season 1, Ned says that to Jon, yes, not Robert. Ned confirms the name Wylla to Robert but refuses to describe what she looked like or say anything more, to which Robert tells him not to be so hard on himself since they were at war and could have died at any time. No more was mentioned.

Season 5 was the first I believe when we saw any character openly speak his doubts, when Stannis told Sylese he doubts Jon is a bastard from a tavern slut since that wasn't Ned's way.

Other season 5 moments that add fuel to the fire:
-The backstory of both Lyanna and Rhaegar brought up often this season, also the first time you start to hear of Rhaegar in more of a positive light
-When Maester Aemon is lamenting to Sam that he's the last Targ left other than Dany and a Targ alone in the world is a terrible thing, Jon walks into the room at that precise moment. The camera holds on him after Aemon's comment and Jon says nothing, but it seems to be quite an intended moment.

Right; I thought he said the same thing to both, but it was as you've said. Having said that, what are the chances that Rhaegar, a pure-blooded Targaryen with blonde hair and blue eyes, fathers a child with eyes and hair as black as coal?

Right; I thought he said the same thing to both, but it was as you've said. Having said that, what are the chances that Rhaegar, a pure-blooded Targaryen with blonde hair and blue eyes, fathers a child with eyes and hair as black as coal?

I wondered the same and researched. There were other historical accounts of Targaryens with Blonde fathers and dark-haired children when the mother had dark hair...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT