ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW

bjf1984

Sep 8, 2014
As I understand it, this was "twittered" out by Franklin recently

11070379_10204372534210063_8329873612716062374_n.jpg

To do this, knowing that all those kids he is recruiting are almost certain to see it, may say a lot about the guy. He has to know that most of the "5 Star" kids (which means just about every kid being recruited by D1 programs - since they all have been told since they were 10 years old that they were "special") are all hearing about how they are going to be developed into NFL superstars. And they are hearing it from all corners - the recruiting gurus, fans, and most certainly the coaches he is recruiting against.

This (the message posted above) is the type of message that the "good" coaches should be sending to these kids (and their parents). The good guys - as opposed to the "overpaid gym teachers" that make up so much of the coaching profession - if they are really putting the kids' interests first, need to counter the messages these youngsters are bombarded with.
Bombarded by their groupies, advisors, college coaches, and - far too often - even their parents......that the road to success leads to the NFL.

I don't know Franklin personally, and I can't attest to how genuine he is, but this is the type of thing that should make righteous parents more inclined to entrust their youngsters development to a guy like Franklin - as opposed to snake charmers like Urby.

To do this, knowing that all those kids he is recruiting are almost certain to see it, may say a lot about the guy. He has to know that most of the "5 Star" kids (which means just about every kid being recruited by D1 programs - since they all have been told since they were 10 years old that they were "special") are all hearing about how they are going to be developed into NFL superstars. And they are hearing it from all corners - the recruiting gurus, fans, and most certainly the coaches he is recruiting against.

This (the message posted above) is the type of message that the "good" coaches should be sending to these kids (and their parents). The good guys - as opposed to the "overpaid gym teachers" that make up so much of the coaching profession - if they are really putting the kids' interests first, need to counter the messages these youngsters are bombarded with.
Bombarded by their groupies, advisors, college coaches, and - far too often - even their parents......that the road to success leads to the NFL.

I don't know Franklin personally, and I can't attest to how genuine he is, but this is the type of thing that should make righteous parents more inclined to entrust their youngsters development to a guy like Franklin - as opposed to snake charmers like Urby.
The guy whose lab I worked in at Stanford was one of the recruiters and he had this pitch he would make to the parents with the kids in the room. he would say look around the room you are all being recruited by all the top programs and then he would lay out statistics like you just posted and end with "Given that maybe only one or two of you make it into the NFL, don't you want to get the best education possible, and that means Stanford" The parents ate it up and got a bunch of kids to go there as a result. he was very effective at it

Every HS football player should read that. Good for Franklin to send that out. It would be good for recruits to put all of that into perspective, and prepare for a career, instead of thinking of pro sports. It is good for them to dream, but also realize the reality of it all.

Reactions: psu00 and bjf1984
It would be great if every high school coach and AD gave this to every tenth grader that goes out for a sport. And repeat it every sport, every season, every year. Then the NCAA and NAIA should include it as part of the Letter Of Commitment, even require that as part of the educational requirements while in college.

This is an important message. Just because you'll play in front of over 100k at PSU, Michigan, OSU, etc., and be adored does NOT mean the NFL is going to pay you. And, even if you do get drafted and paid, there are a lot of guys on minimum contracts that play a season, maybe two or three. They might make a decent amount, but not enough to live off the rest of their lives. They'll need a fallback from a good education if they hope to live comfortably for life

Anybody watching Ballers on HBO? Great depiction of life as an NFL star with no game plan for keeping your soon to be gone fortune.

Anybody watching Ballers on HBO? Great depiction of life as an NFL star with no game plan for keeping your soon to be gone fortune.

Yep. Jared Odrick was in the most recent episode. I think he had a one liner during the craps betting scene at the party.

There was a kid from Northern Virginia named Casey Crawford who played TE at Virginia. He spent three years in the NFL with the Panthers and the Bucs and managed to make a total of five catches for 57 yards. During that time he lived off his wife's income, put aside his salary, and turned it into a mortgage company when the Bucs cut him. You can google the details, but the guy is running a very successful business, giving away a whole lot more than he keeps, and still living just fine. That's dramatic story, but you can look at guys like John Shaffer and Trey Bauer from the '86 MNC team that never sniffed the NFL, but turned their scholarships into degrees and degrees into good careers. Heck even a kid who majors in phys ed, gets a degree, and ends up coaching HS football can be living his dream, even if it means not being the richest guy on the block.

A college education that comes without post-graduation debt may not be a golden ticket, but it is an open door and an opportunity. Getting kids to see it that way and take advantage of it should be a goal of anyone in college athletics.

That's awesome. I believe the average NFL career is 3.5 years. That would also be something to add to the small % that actually make it.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT