ADVERTISEMENT

future at 125 and 133

cpn1sgm

Aug 19, 2007
Hey guys. I never wrestled, but became a huge wrestling fan when my son started the sport at age 7. I now go to states and love college wrestling. I played football, basketball and baseball my whole life and my passion is wrestling. All this took place in the past 5 years.

Anyway, after reading Tim's article, it looks like Nico is going 125 and JC 133. The cuberd looks bare as they are both seniors. Who is PSU recruiting who can step in at these weights next year. Spencer Lee is a year away and that's if PSU is fortunate off to get him. I believe Redd is a senior this year so maybe he can step in at 133 as a freshman. Any other targets? Thanks.

Hey guys. I never wrestled, but became a huge wrestling fan when my son started the sport at age 7. I now go to states and love college wrestling. I played football, basketball and baseball my whole life and my passion is wrestling. All this took place in the past 5 years.

Anyway, after reading Tim's article, it looks like Nico is going 125 and JC 133. The cuberd looks bare as they are both seniors. Who is PSU recruiting who can step in at these weights next year. Spencer Lee is a year away and that's if PSU is fortunate off to get him. I believe Redd is a senior this year so maybe he can step in at 133 as a freshman. Any other targets? Thanks.

I am delusional and feel they will get, Suriano for 125 and red for 133...but one of them may get redshirted as Guilibon could go back to 133 for his senior season or never leave there this season?? Then in 2017 125-suriano 133-lee and 141-Red

Someone Pinch Me

Luke Pletcher at 133lbs is a top name on their board as is Nick Suriano at 125/133lbs.

Reactions: dnit
I am delusional and feel they will get, Suriano for 125 and red for 133...but one of them may get redshirted as Guilibon could go back to 133 for his senior season or never leave there this season?? Then in 2017 125-suriano 133-lee and 141-Red

Someone Pinch Me
IF you all were fortunate enough to get Suriano and Lee, I think they would be flip flopped. Sounds like Lee is a small 120 and Suriano looks big.

Reactions: dnit

Someone Pinch Me
Why would Gulibon eat and lift his way up to 141 for one year, then go right back down to 133?

And, again, for the Nth time: Lee will be the last the bunch to grow out of 125 (if ever).

Just for reference: Flo ranks Suriano #7 and Red #14 nationally, all years, all weights. (Their Top 14 still includes 7 outgoing HS seniors.) Pletcher was in the Top 14 until losing to Red at Flonats, will be back in the Top 14 once the 2015 seniors clear out. Depending on who you ask, Pletcher is either the #1 or #2 wrestler in PA 2016 (along with future Lehigh 285 Jordan Wood).

Someone Pinch Me
I like the way you think brother! We certainly will have the openings. Sending Lee out to kick off duals for a few years would be awesome. Hopefully his mentor Nico stays around a few years to help train the lightweights.

As for Red, I've seen a few of his matches and was really impressed. Watch his Super 32 final for example. He looks like he can really ride and has some flair to him as well. His red hair at Flo Nats looked even better than Ed's Green hair at Nationals.

cpn1sgm -- you're just thinking about 125 and 133 recruiting? I feel like those 2 weight classes have been addressed quite a few times in the past year when we were discussing future recruiting. (BTW, you're just getting into recruiting? Looking at your sig pic, I would think you've been into wrestling for quite some time. :D)

So many variables here, and so many excellent options.

As El-Jefe indicated, Lee is the prospect that appears to be the least likely to exceed 125 in college. With some of the others, it's questionable whether they'll even be able to make 125 when they enter college.

If Nico goes next year, and that seems like a given, then PSU will need 2 guys at 125 and 133 in 2016-17. The only way they only need 1 is if JG comes back down to 133 for that season, though I'm in agreement with El-Jefe -- if he goes 141 in 2015-16, it makes little sense for him to go back down.

With Lee just finishing up his sophomore year, it makes the conversation even more interesting. PSU could get someone that could step in at 125 in 2016 as a true fresh, and then move up to 133 the following year if Spencer opts for PSU. (The Lee factor may explain why PSU was involved, to some extent with JUCO Alfredo Rodriguez. I say "may," as I'm speculating -- absolutely no insight into what PSU is thinking, or how much interest they actually had in Rodriguez.)

I project these guys as follows, and freely admit that I may be mistaken on one of them, or on all of them.

Chad Red - likely to enter at 125, and also likely to bump up to 133 while in college
Luke Pletcher - likely to enter at 133. I doubt he can make 125 in college. he may bump while in college to 141; hard to say
Nick Suriano - could enter at 125 or 133, but is unlikely to stay at 125 for all of college
Spencer Lee - will enter at 125, and has a good chance of ending college at that weight

I'm not including Daton Fix in the speculation, as like Spencer Lee he's just finishing his soph year, plus I'm still dubious that he leaves the state of Oklahoma for college.

How will it play out? I haven't a clue. PSU will need two wrestlers (unless JG moves down, which is doubtful), so I'm not sure how the coaches will manage this. Even if they get positive vibes from Spencer Lee about his future plans, they still will need 2 guys. And there's always the possibility that Spencer will follow the path of the Valencia brothers -- absolute HS studs that elect to redshirt as true freshman in college. My sense is Red is the most likely in the above list to verbal to PSU. I suspect that PSU would like Red and 1 of Pletcher and Suriano, even if they feel very good about their chances with Lee. JG will have to be replaced at 141 in 2017-18, so if Lee comes on board the 3 of them could man 125, 133, and 141. It does trouble me that the above scenario has each of them not redshirting, though as we saw with Nico and Z Train, elite wrestlers can step in as true freshman.

And for all we know, PSU is actively involved with 1 or more guys at 125 and 133 that are not even on our radar.

Why would Gulibon eat and lift his way up to 141 for one year, then go right back down to 133?

And, again, for the Nth time: Lee will be the last the bunch to grow out of 125 (if ever).

Just for reference: Flo ranks Suriano #7 and Red #14 nationally, all years, all weights. (Their Top 14 still includes 7 outgoing HS seniors.) Pletcher was in the Top 14 until losing to Red at Flonats, will be back in the Top 14 once the 2015 seniors clear out. Depending on who you ask, Pletcher is either the #1 or #2 wrestler in PA 2016 (along with future Lehigh 285 Jordan Wood).

I agree with you, but I think he could wrestle 133 anyway and still dominate, that is was why I put him there.......That's if Suriano could still make 125 comfortably.

Let's just wait and see what happens. This 125/133 talk reminds me of "Let it Go" in the movie Frozen.

I take the simplistic approach which is Nico at 125 and JG at 133 this year. Then we need a replacement at 125 for Nico. Enter Red/Suriano.

I take the simplistic approach which is Nico at 125 and JG at 133 this year. Then we need a replacement at 125 for Nico. Enter Red/Suriano.
Don't think Kade Moss gets a spot at 141 though, weakens the team lineup. Would rather JC at 133 and Jimmy at 141

Cael has pretty much layed it on the table in the interview. Unless something changes, the plan right now is for Nico-125, JC-133, Gulibon-141, ZR-149, Beitz/Nolf-157, Rasheed/Hammond/Nolf-165, Nickel-174, McCutcheon-184, McIntosh-197, Nevills-285.

Sort of reading between the lines, it looks like Nolf's weight decision may affect Rasheed. If Nolf ends up at 165, I'd expect Rasheed is going to start packing on the weight with his eyes on 184 in 2017. Nickel may be at 174 longer than expected - between the sick thing and then other rumors that he is not gaining as much weight as they expected, he may turn out to be a long term 174.

Reactions: Sullivan
Dice, what's your opinion on the stronger lineup of Beitz/Nolf or Nolf/Rasheed?

Dice, what's your opinion on the stronger lineup of Beitz/Nolf or Nolf/Rasheed?

Wherever Nolf can do better at. I don't see either of the others making as much of an impact on the title chase.

At 57, Nolf is likely dealing with IMar, Realbuto, Miller

At 65, Dieringer, BoJo, Isaac Jordan

Right now I would say I'd like to see Nolf at 57, but there are always rumors about Dieringer (although he weighed 180 today at BTS weighin, which isn't all that big considering there weren't weight classes per se), and maybe Snyder taking the Olympic RS makes Bo at 174 more likely.

So, I guess right now I don't have an opinion. Excited to see Rasheed wrestle so I can have a better idea about him besides just room reports. Think I have a good feel for Beitz and think he will be around the same at 57 as he was at 49 - which is solid. Think that Cael's mention of Rasheed yesterday was indicative that they really think he can make an impact, but depending on Nolf they are considering sacrificing the year for him and sending him to 84 rather than Nickal in 2017.

Thanks for the reply Dice.

You mentioned Dieringer weighing in. Is that match with Davis free or folk?

I think Nolf will go 157. I think everything sets up better with that scenario. Of course, I am assuming Rasheed is at 165. Hammond did not finish well, and he may very well be relegated to back up status. Beitz is one of my favorites, he has a nice ankle pick, and is a decent competitor. With certain exceptions, he just could not hold leads against the better wrestlers. I think he will be shuffled out of the line-up.

ADVERTISEMENT