ADVERTISEMENT

FloNational Results ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
you guys are falling down on the job. I log on from Spain to read about what has taken place so far, only to see that no results are posted. the shame. :(

below are some results I found interesting. you should be able to access the complete results at this link.

Tom

126:
- Chad Hall (#2 seed)
R1 - bye
R2 - pinned Jason Jacobi (PA) in 13 sec
R3 - pinned Wade Unger (NJ) in 1:33
- will face Zack Trampe (PA) in the quarters

- Luke Pletcher (#1 seed)
R1 - bye
R2 - TFed Brandon Tenney (WV), 22-7, in 5:45
R3 - Majored Austin Jamison (NC), 20-7
- will face Justin Patrick (PA) in the quarters

120:
- Sammy Sasso (#6 seed)
R1 - bye
R2 - majored Brock Hudkins (IN), 16-5
R3 - TFed Cole Rush (PA), 15-0, in 3:48
- will face Taylor LaMont (UT) in the quarters (we've discussed LaMont several times when projecting prospects CS might recruit

152:
- Mason Manville (#1 seed)
R1 - bye
R2 - pinned Jonah Barley (PA) in 2:54
R3 - majored Garrett Tingen (VA), 15-3
- will face Adam Martz (MD) in the quarters

Lamont looks very tough!
Red is the real deal.
Manville has an engine!
Would like to see more O fromPletcher

Sleeping in on my day off is more like it!

Seriously, a few more results of note, emphasis on PA kids with a few out-of-staters:

106:
- Julian Chlebove into the semis with 2 TFs, a pin, and a 10-0 MD. I presume he's Whitey's kid.
- #7 seed Aaron Burkett (Chestnut Ridge, AA runner-up) went 3-2, DNP. He was eliminated 11-0 by an unseeded kid from KY a couple rounds before placing. This really surprised me, because he wrestled well at states and especially against Gavin Teasdale in the finals.

113:
- #5 Brian Courtney (Athens, 120 AA runner-up) into the semis with a TF, a pin, and a 4-2 win over the #4 seed.
- Gage Curry (North Hills, AAA runner-up to Devin Brown) lost in the semis. He is now in the Round of 12.

120:
- #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell recruit) blowing thru the bracket with 2 pins and a 15-1 MD. Once he gets to Ithaca, he'll be winning 3-2 in no time.
- Sasso lost to Lamont 8-5 in the quarters, is in the Round of 12.

Something wrong with Flo brackets at 126 and 132 ...

138:
- #1 Sam Krivus (Hempfield AAA champ, UNC recruit) into the semis.
- #6 Kent Lane (Southern Columbia AA champ, Lehigh recruit) lost in the quarters to the #3 seed from MO, in the Round of 12.
- #7 Shae Bloom (Curwensville, AA 5th) lost in the quarters to the #2 seed from OH, also in the Round of 12.

145:
- #1 Hayden Hidlay (Mifflin County, AAA 3rd to Kemerer and Duggan, NC State 2016 recruit) into the semis with 2 pins and a 3-2 win in the quarters.
- Jimmy Saylor (Easton, AAA 7th) lost in the quarters to #3 Austin Kraisser, Campbell recruit from MD. He's in the Round of 12 and thus 1 win away from remaining Willie's cousin (ha ha). Next match Jonathan Ross from Northern York, who finished 5th at Hershey.

152:
- The Anvil won 4-0 in the quarters. Next victim: #4 Connor Flynn from MO, who beat in the quarters ...
- #5 Kaleb Young (2016 Iowa recruit from Punxsy, AAA runner-up to Cenzo), who's in the Round of 12.
- Nino Bonaccorsi (brother of Pitt's 197) is also R12 after losing to Flynn one round ahead of Young.
- #2 Jake Wentzel (South Park, AA champ, Pitt 2016 recruit) into the semis.

160:
- #8 Noah Stewart (Mifflin County, AAA 4th) lost his 2nd match but has advanced to R12.
- #3 Cole Walter (Mifflinburg, AA champ, Lehigh recruit) into the semis with an 8-0 win over the #6 seed. His next opponent, the #2 seed from MI, has pinned every opponent in the 1st so far.

170:
- #1 Nick Reenan (Wyoming Seminary via TX) into the semis. I think he's headed to Northwestern.
- #5 Austin Bell (Belle Vernon, AAA 3rd) into the semis, gets Reenan next.
- Kyle Gentile (Pennridge, AAA 5th) into the semis after beating Jake Shaffer (Latrobe, AAA 4th) in the quarters.
- Shaffer is now R12.
- #5 Trevor Cahill (Berlin, AA 3rd) went 1-2, DNP.
- #6 Nick Stephani (Troy, AA 2nd) lost his 2nd match in SV, has since been on a rampage and is R12.
- Jared Siegrist (Manheim Central, AAA 6th) lost his 2nd match to the #2 seed, then lost in consis and DNP. Siegrist is coached by Troy Sunderland.

182:
- #2 Dakota Geer (Franklin) and #3 Corey Hazel (Penns Valley, Lock Haven commit) meet in the semis. Geer beat Franklin 10-3 in the AA state finals. Geer has 2 TFs so far; Hazel a pin and a 4-3 decision.

195: No PA wrestlers of note. Seeds held thru the quarters. The only name I recognize is #2 seed Tyree Sutton from NJ.

220:
- #5 Jake Robb (Kittanning, AA finalist) has reached the semis, gets the #1 seed.
- #6 Andrew Gunning (Bethlehem Liberty, AAA 5th) lost in the quarters to the #3 seed.
- #7 Cole Nye (Wyoming Seminary) lost in the quarters to the #2 seed. Nye previously attended Bishop McDevitt.

285:
- #3 Jake Beistel (AA runner-up to Allan Beattie) into the semis with 2 pins.
- This is a really bad weight class. The #7 seed finished 6th at regionals (though he did finish 5th at states).

Chad Red with another pin in the quarters, this time at 4:51. Slacker.

Pletcher 4-2 win over Justin Patrick from Kiski Prep (formerly Ligonier Valley), who finished 3rd at national preps and will wrestle at Buffalo for Stutzman next year. Patrick had been smashing the competition. This is a solid win for Pletcher.

Pletcher next gets the younger brother of Okie State AA Dean Heil.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:

120:
- #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell recruit) blowing thru the bracket with 2 pins and a 15-1 MD. Once he gets to Ithaca, he'll be winning 3-2 in no time.
Realbuto, Palacio and Garrett get after it plenty. Villonga is a staller and Dean doesn't shoot as much as he should, but overall Cornell does a pretty good job

170:
- #1 Nick Reenan (Wyoming Seminary via TX) into the semis. I think he's headed to Northwestern.
Interested to see if Borschel's departure will make him reconsider.

Robb's quarters win was 16-0 TF. At 220.

Manville is on Mat 3 now.

Championship round:
- Courtney lost 3-2 in the semis to the top seed.
- Pletcher won 8-1 (correction, I had missed RT point from dashboard).
- Lamont 5-2 over #2 seed Fix from Oklahoma, ranked #4 nationally at 120.

Consis:
- Sasso won by FFT.
- Lane 12-3 MD.
- Saylor lost 3-2.
- Curry 5-4.
- Trampe 5-3.
- Justin Patrick lost 5-4.
- Bonaccorsi won (I missed the score).

Manville lost 6-4.

Cole Walter won 6-1.

Flo's "recent results" tracker hasn't been working for about an hour, so you either have to catch the results live on the dashboard or wait for the brackets to be updated.

So the finalists are ...

listed below.

nice job by many in this thread to reply to my original post. I enjoyed reading about the results after a day of touring.

Tom

106:
#1 seed Paul Knorath (IN) vs. #2 seed Sidney Oliver (MO)

113:
#1 seed Devin Schroder (MI) vs. #3 seed Kaden Gfeller (OK)

120:
#1 seed Yianni Diakomihalis (NY) vs. #2 seed Daton Fix (OK)

126:
#1 seed Luke Pletcher (PA) vs. #2 seed Chad Red (IN)

132:
#1 seed Keegan Moore (OK) vs. #2 seed Jaydin Clayton (MO)

138:
#1 seed Sam Krivus (PA) vs. #3 seed Will Roark (MO)

145:
#1 seed Hayden Hidlay (PA) vs. #3 seed Austin Kraisser (MD)
Hidlay had 2 really close matches in his quarters and finals

152:
#4 seed Connor Flynn (MO) vs. #2 seed Jacob Wentzel (PA)
so The Anvil was the first #1 seed to not reach the finals

160:
#1 seed Xavier Montalvo (IL) vs. #3 seed Cole Walter (PA)

170:
#1 seed Nick Reenan (TX) vs. #2 seed Jacob Armstrong (UT)

182:
#4 seed Triston Engle (NY) vs. #2 seed Dakota Greer (PA)

195:
#1 seed Blake Ryple (IN) vs. #2 seed Tyree Sutton (NJ)

220:
#1 seed Austin Myers (KY) vs. #2 seed Lucas Ready (MI)

285:
#5 seed Nick Coe (NC) vs. #2 seed Dan Perry (MI)

I assume Willie did, or was involved, in the seedings. If that's accurate, a salute to him on doing a pretty darn good job, as shown by the above. Only 3 of the #1 seeds did not make the finals, and only 4 of the #2 seeds did not make the finals.

Re: So the finalists are ...

Should there be a bit of concern around Manville. I know he's wrestling tough competition but he's lost now 3 or 4 big matches in the last year or so, correct? I know that sounds incredible but considering the hype, the losses are bit of a down to earth moment.

No concern, he is a Junior, Cael and staff are paid to develop these guys. Manville
Has a World of Potential n time to get there

Also a world of achievement, pardon the pun. World freestyle champs don't come around all the time.

Then factor in who his workout partners will be: Cenzo, Nolf, Hammond, Rasheed, Nickal, and maybe Mouse ... with Taylor and Brown in the NLWC if he ever gets bored.

He'll be OK.

Red pinned Pletcher in the 3rd, was down 2-1 to start the period.

Really hoping Chad Red makes the right choice

interesting ... Pletcher not likely ...

to have good memories of FloNational.

last year at 120 he lost 10-2 in the finals to Nick Piccininni. The match was even more lopsided than the score.

then this year at 126 he gets pinned by Red.

FWIW, last year Pletcher took 2nd, while Red took 4th, at 120.

Tom

Always great memories 4 time placer learn from losses last year true bad loss. This year did you see match? Caught that happens to juniors was fin control first 2 periods Let head down for a second and that's what happens. But as you if you wrestle better have a short memory. As many fans do will come back strong

Originally posted by pletch5:
Always great memories 4 time placer learn from losses last year true bad loss. This year did you see match? Caught that happens to juniors was fin control first 2 periods Let head down for a second and that's what happens. But as you if you wrestle better have a short memory. As many fans do will come back strong
I am intrigued. I wonder what the hell this means in English....
nerd.r191677.gif

Originally posted by CSauertiegPSU:
Should there be a bit of concern around Manville. I know he's wrestling tough competition but he's lost now 3 or 4 big matches in the last year or so, correct? I know that sounds incredible but considering the hype, the losses are bit of a down to earth moment.
Anyone that isn't concerned has their head buried somewhere.

thanks for following the tournament, fellas.

i was really happy with the field this year. particularly happy with the diversity (13 state represented in the finals). good contingents from MO, UT, and OK this year.

pletcher, imo, looked as good as ever. i told sammy krivus after the tournament 'who cares about rankings' and the same applies to luke. those two are pretty much the best on any given day and have been for four years (luke was 3rd at FLO 4th at S32 as an eighth grader).

i love luke as a prospect, and love him more when he's cut down. reminds me, stature wise, of Chance, who i like a lot more if he can make 157 (i sure he can) next year. luke at 126 and 125/133 in college...i'll say i guarantee success from him.

he dominated first period. thing is, Red is great too. luke got his head to close to the knee and Red saw it. the outcome might have not been what luke wanted, but in the deed... loved where he's at as a wrestler.

other stuff...

yeah, my cousin Jimmy had an up and down day. beat a nationally ranked guy but lost in the match to place by the same kid that beat him in state quarters (Jon Ross). we gotta get him working on bottom.

Julian is Whitey's kid. (Whitey was like my idol when i was growing up.) his kid's the truth. how about him and sasso both taking 3rd!

Manville - idk. looked fine to me. other than the last :30 of the semi, he looked like typical manville to me.

Brian Courtney - is so good and so underrated. trains with Yianni.

Seeding - haha. i guess i did pretty good. a lot of 1 v 2 ish types and who could have guessed manville would lose?

This post was edited on 4/4 9:20 PM by smalls103

This post was edited on 4/4 10:04 PM by smalls103

This post was edited on 4/4 11:41 PM by pletch5

What it means he has great memories of flo placed for the fourth time can be first five timer next year. As for the match as smalls said luke was in control but got head too close. I said that happens to juniors hate to see but it happens. As I said if you wrestle have a short memory Is that good enough English for you.

This post was edited on 4/4 11:45 PM by pletch5

Originally posted by pletch5:
What it means he has great memories of flo placed for the fourth time can be first five timer next year. As for the match as smalls said luke was in control but got head too close. I said that happens to juniors hate to see but it happens. As I said if you wrestle have a short memory Is that good enough English for you.
No. But, I was able to figure out what you said, when I combined the two posts.

no disrespect

To your cousin, but I think the Rover with most collegiate upside is Fidelibus.

Was Pletcher out cold when the fall was called? Hope everything is okay with Luke!

Couple notes: I believe Dakota Geer, Pa-182 has given a verbal to Edinboro. Willie would know better then me, but I see a number 8th graders where entered. A couple that wrestled over 126lbs(Lots of 8th graders from 106-126), Carter Starocci of Pa @ 138lbs and Cohlton Schultz of CO @ 220lbs. Starocci went 2-2 with 1 loss coming at the hands of Krivus. Schultz ended up taking 3rd place, pretty impressive.

You're right, Geer has verballed to Edinboro. Fantastic pickup for Flynn, and the kind of guy he's been able to build a Top 5 program with: someone who was really impressive at states and at other high-level tourneys, and would be a really good fit at PSU except we're already set at his weight.

Yes he was. But is fine just got choked out

This post was edited on 4/8 9:03 AM by pletch5

Alot of people dont realize that Flynn also got 195lb-AA State Champion, Powerade Champion and Iron Man Champion Dylan Reynolds of Saegertown to flip his commitment from Clarion to Edinboro a couple weeks ago. With Geer, Reynolds and True Freshman Billy Miller from OH, Edinboro could be pretty solid at the upper weights the next 4 years.

i'm going to go back and look up all the JR HS kids that's ever placed at FloNats in the HS division.

i think there was only ever one 7th grader - Israel Saavedra - but i could be wrong on that. he may have been an 8th grader that stayed back.

this year there were three 8th graders to place:

Chlebove - 3rd at 106

Julian Ramirez - 7th at 132

Schultz - 3rd at 220

Pletcher, Lee, Mitch Moore, Sasso - were some of the more recent JR HS placers.

7th grader Josh Saunders (you'll be hearing about him soon enough) just missed placing by a match this year at 106.

* also - to Jefe - there were a good # of college coaches there in addition to the ones the article mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT