ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Olu Fashanu's Development

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
OLU FASHANU FILM STUDY

See link. It was funny editing this one when we got it, because Codutti (a former D-3 o-lineman) was noticeably excited watching this tape lol. We actually had him do a scout on Fashanu at this time LAST season (the Outback Bowl start) and Codutti said Fashanu was a future first-rounder back then...way before he was on any mock draft radars. So kudos to him. Guess he saw something in a narrow sample size. I said this before, but I don't think the realization of how incredible it is that Fashanu is still here (literally turning down eight figures) has truly sunk in with the fanbase. Just the peace of mind he provides Allar...what an accelerant.

I did have a question for any coaches or smart people in the thread though...repeatedly Codutti dings Fashanu for turning his hips when an edge rusher is trying to get around the corner. What's he supposed to do? Is he just turning his hips too much? Past 45 degrees?

Reactions: tlbakernc
OLU FASHANU FILM STUDY

See link. It was funny editing this one when we got it, because Codutti (a former D-3 o-lineman) was noticeably excited watching this tape lol. We actually had him do a scout on Fashanu at this time LAST season (the Outback Bowl start) and Codutti said Fashanu was a future first-rounder back then...way before he was on any mock draft radars. So kudos to him. Guess he saw something in a narrow sample size. I said this before, but I don't think the realization of how incredible it is that Fashanu is still here (literally turning down eight figures) has truly sunk in with the fanbase. Just the peace of mind he provides Allar...what an accelerant.

I did have a question for any coaches or smart people in the thread though...repeatedly Codutti dings Fashanu for turning his hips when an edge rusher is trying to get around the corner. What's he supposed to do? Is he just turning his hips too much? Past 45 degrees?
Yeah, I don’t see the problem. He squares up his hips quickly as on all these plays the DE is trying an outside rush. But he never seems to get beat on an inside rush. He is so quick to read the opponents and adjust quickly that he also protects the inside.

Other teams may see this in film study and attempt more inside rushes. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Love the way he hits guys and lifts them straight up. When a guy is standing up he has no power in his legs. Which is why he can stop a guy in his tracks. He is also very quick off the snap….anticipates the snap very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trose75
My eyes couldn't help darting over to Wallace at right tackle in a lot of these plays. Maybe I'm just a worrier lol Hard to believe that no one has beat him out yet. He's just not a tackle. DDD ate his lunch in the spring game.

Honestly, hard to believe talk about dominant OL until see it. Rewatch Gophers win and Olu got beat like a drum yet still scored. The Theo Johnson TD showed Olu grabbing shirt from behind when he was beat easily. Should have been penalty. There was Singleton TD where DE just abused him like a turnstile but Nick was a little too fast and got past him. It was horrendous block. I feel like much of talent at RB allowed OL to appear better than they were

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT