ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - Lack of Explosive Runs

FILM STUDY RUN GAME

See Link. Penn State ranks No. 1 in the Big Ten in rushing offense (230.5 yards/gm) despite its largest gain of the season being a meager 20 yards. The ground game has been methodical, effective, yet not explosive. We tried to ID some reasons why.

Getting ready to watch. Did not realize we were #1 in the conference. And that is without really trying to run vs WVU as much as we could have and without playing our starters for 4 quarters vs Delaware.

Going in, I think that our coaching staff has fixed a lot of the complaints about last year's offense. We have a QB who can make tough throws and seems to throw guys open while reading the defense and going through progressions until he finds the best option. Our RBs are getting positive yards. We've had explosive passing plays much more than the misses. The offense is driving the field, churning yards and burning clock.

Defenses that play 3 safeties every snap also limits your long rushing capabilities. If we were unable to rush positively against light boxes AND lacking big runs, that might be something to worry about. So far, I think we are in good shape.

---

WRs not making great blocks and OL not sustaining blocks. Good video.

Last edited:
FILM STUDY RUN GAME

See Link. Penn State ranks No. 1 in the Big Ten in rushing offense (230.5 yards/gm) despite its largest gain of the season being a meager 20 yards. The ground game has been methodical, effective, yet not explosive. We tried to ID some reasons why.

Allen lost 20 lbs last year and gained it this year.

Landon Tangwell started only 5 games last year, and is no longer on the team due to medical reasons, but I thought he was terrific at pulling out and leading blocking on runs outside. Made some key blocks vs Auburn that led to long gains.

Let's see how the run game goes against Illinois and Iowa. We may have lost some long run potential.

Landon Tangwell started only 5 games last year, and is no longer on the team due to medical reasons, but I thought he was terrific at pulling out and leading blocking on runs outside. Made some key blocks vs Auburn that led to long gains.

Let's see how the run game goes against Illinois and Iowa. We may have lost some long run potential.
100 percent on Tengwall. His athleticism was off the charts. I also think the run game misses Brenton Strange more than people might think...for instance, the second T formation run, Strange would have one of those two guys up and perhaps the RB busts free. Dinkins -- who is now in Strange's old backfield spot in the T -- got stonewalled on that play.

100 percent on Tengwall. His athleticism was off the charts. I also think the run game misses Brenton Strange more than people might think...for instance, the second T formation run, Strange would have one of those two guys up and perhaps the RB busts free. Dinkins -- who is now in Strange's old backfield spot in the T -- got stonewalled on that play.
Strange was our best offensive player last year.

Reactions: lazydave841
Dinkins -- who is now in Strange's old backfield spot in the T -- got stonewalled on that play.

I'm curious if we see tweaks to the T. Dinkins is our thinnest TE. Could we get better blocking with Potts back there? Potts opens up the FB Dive action. What about Rappleyea? True freshman, but he might be a better blocker than Dinkins.

At the goal line, what about our 3rd G? Vega/Nelson/Sal (whichever isn't on the line that drive) is a guaranteed strong blocker.

I’ve got no problem with the running game lots of long runs are due to safeties making mistakes. There can be issues with WR not making their blocks. But from what I can see, we’ve run it just fine but can’t break through the secondary.

I also think we’ve played defenses that are geared to blitz the QB trying to rattle Allar. Typically the safeties are told to not let anything behind them. So there are safeties dropping deep which cut off long runs but you get good yardage underneath

I’ve got no problem with the running game lots of long runs are due to safeties making mistakes. There can be issues with WR not making their blocks. But from what I can see, we’ve run it just fine but can’t break through the secondary.

I also think we’ve played defenses that are geared to blitz the QB trying to rattle Allar. Typically the safeties are told to not let anything behind them. So there are safeties dropping deep which cut off long runs but you get good yardage underneath
I would trade the long runs for being able to move the sticks when you need it, but I agree, the long runs will come.

Reactions: Obliviax
It's logical that the focus in spring and preseason would be on two things -- pass blocking to protect a new QB, and patterns and timing in the passing game. I wouldn't be surprised if downfield blocking has been shorted in practice time, but it's definitely fixable by mid-season if they work on it. It's also game coaching. Singleton and Allen could have run for 500 yards against Delaware but it's more important to get reps for the passing game.

Reactions: CaliLION79
I am loving this. These good runs are setting up very makeable 3rd downs, and are keeping drives going. Even more to my liking, TOP is on the good side, meaning that the D shouldn't be getting exhausted. Hopefully this can and will continue when they start going up against stiffer competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT