ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Millen leaving ESPN for Fox Sports and BTN

I have always liked Matt and remember well his hometown fans at Penn State home games. I think he has four super bowl rings. Salt and Pepper (Bruce Clark) may have been the best DL combo but Reid and Smear may also have been tops. Clark may have been the last super player out of the New Castle, Butler area. Back in the day, that was PA football recruiting central.

He was always a "football player". Does a decent job as an "football" analyst.

Mason was awful. Not sure that Millen is much of an improvement

Reactions: Ski
Matt Millen seems like an OK guy, but I think his football analysis is terrible. He is more concerned with hyperbole than anything else and he says ridiculous things when he's on any broadcast. He seems to move around a lot within the broadcasting industry and was one of, if not, the worst GM of any NFL team ever.

Reactions: Ski
was one of, if not, the worst GM of any NFL team ever.

Actually, I enjoyed Millen's NFL color analysys and believe he was very well regarded in this role. Specifically, this led to him being offered the job with the Detroit Lions. This is an example of the "halo effect" where someone who does a good job at one thing, is assumed to be good at another job. I think everyone agrees that Millen was a complete failure in this role and he's a much better fit as a color analyst.

Reactions: bmusser24
I think everyone agrees that Millen was a complete failure in this role and he's a much better fit as a color analyst.

I don't know about that, although it's a matter of opinion. I think he CAN be good, but he uses hyperbole a lot and it gets old. It's the same way with Gruden on MNF. Everybody is always literally the best player ever at that position. Millen is much the same way when he's doing color for a game.

ADVERTISEMENT