ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Judge gives NCAA permission to file new response in Paterno lawsuit(updated w/ new NCAA filing)

Alas. I never claimed "12 Noon 12-July-2012 was the first and only moment in the history of time." I already said the BOT made a huge mistake in November 2011.
LOL.

"If the thinkin' cap don't fit........you must remain a Mich Nitt Wit"

th
th

LOL.

"If the thinkin' cap don't fit........you must remain a Mich Nitt Wit"

th
th

Ah, we're back to the start of this circle. Fair enough .....

I'm not a revisionist historian --- the world was what it was at 12 Noon on 12-July-2012. And I don't attempt to re-write the way that it was.

You can only play the cards as they stood at that time.

Fighting the NCAA in July 2012 would have been suicide. S-U-I-C-I-D-E.

They would never have applied the "death penalty" because through amicus if not by the BoT an injunction would've been sought.

dunce-cap.jpg

You're right ... they wouldn't have unilaterally and immediately applied the "death penalty."

Instead: Emmert, his toupee, and 50 NCAA investigators would have hopped on the next plane to State College and said "well, fine ... you said you were going to wait for the Freeh Report to be released before answering our questions, and now you refuse to answer your questions. So we're going to reside here in State College for the next 1000 days and we're going to demand to go through everything Penn State athletics related. Everything."

Eventually, they would have found out we gave some football player an improper benefit or played some guy who was academically ineligible, or something or other.

And then they would have shouted "A HA!!!! NCAA Violation!!!!! Let's nail them to the cross! Full steam ahead!!!!"

That would have arguably been worse than what did happen in July 2012. The Consent Decree at least gave us a clear road map. Plus, I've always thought there was a bit of a handshake deal as regards "sanction relief." Play ball with us now and we'll reconsider things in 12-18 months.

You're right ... they wouldn't have unilaterally and immediately applied the "death penalty."

Instead: Emmert, his toupee, and 50 NCAA investigators would have hopped on the next plane to State College and said "well, fine ... you said you were going to wait for the Freeh Report to be released before answering our questions, and now you refuse to answer your questions. So we're going to reside here in State College for the next 1000 days and we're going to demand to go through everything Penn State athletics related. Everything."

Eventually, they would have found out we gave some football player an improper benefit or played some guy who was academically ineligible, or something or other.

And then they would have shouted "A HA!!!! NCAA Violation!!!!! Let's nail them to the cross! Full steam ahead!!!!"

That would have arguably been worse than what did happen in July 2012. The Consent Decree at least gave us a clear road map. Plus, I've always thought there was a bit of a handshake deal as regards "sanction relief." Play ball with us now and we'll reconsider things in 12-18 months.

That would have been the best thing to happen, because they wouldn't have found doodly. You're posting dumb now.

NCAA doesn't have 50 investigators and the ones that they do couldn't find their asses, even if unencumbered by toilet paper.

That would have been the best thing to happen, because they wouldn't have found doodly. You're posting dumb now.

In 2012-2013, Penn State self-reported 9 NCAA secondary violations (source: September 2014 Mitchell report). And committed 15 other non-self-reported secondary violations.

In 2013-2014, the #s were 23 (self-reported) and 10 (non-self-reported). Same source.

Most of these were inadvertent text messages and calls to recruits. But still --- they are violations committed by Penn State.

If we were committing violations (and yes, they are technically violations) even with the AIA on campus, I believe it's fair to assume we were committing violations (even if only technical violations) in the pre-November 2011 era as well.

If the NCAA descended on State College, they would have found something. Emmert and crew wouldn't have been in the most forgiving of moods.

LOL. Clearly the "second string" of the MoveOners. To be expected now that we are in vacation season.

Reactions: Hotshoe and Ski
In 2012-2013, Penn State self-reported 9 NCAA violations (source: September 2014 Mitchell report).

In 2013-2014, Penn State self-reported 23 NCAA violations (same source)).

Most of these were inadvertent text messages and calls to recruits. But still --- they are violations committed by Penn State.

If we were committing violations (and yes, they are technically violations) even with the AIA on campus, I believe it's fair to assume we were committing violations (even if only technical violations) in the pre-November 2011 era as well.

If the NCAA descended on State College, they would have found something. Emmert and crew wouldn't have been in the most forgiving of moods.

Give it up with the rank speculation already. You're only making yourself look worse.

LOL. Clearly the "second string" of the MoveOners. To be expected now that we are in vacation season.

I'm not a revisionist historian --- the world was what it was at 12 Noon on 12-July-2012. And I don't attempt to re-write the way that it was.

I don't think the NCAA would have had the guts to impose the death penalty. All of our opponents would have wound up with empty dates on their schedules and they would have all lost $millions in revenue.

Also the NCAA would have looked like a bunch of hoods if they imposed the death penalty without allowing PSU time to review the Freeh report and allow due process to play out.

The NCAA that has stolen decades of money from athletes has cash to burn. While college athletic programs go down in red ink the NCAA organized crime machine has built a cache or dirty cache to defend themselves. The Rico Act should be used to dismantle the NCAA post haste. It will be 10 years now that the pipelines are filled with conservatives (love of the wealthy type - not love of the constitution type) in the ranks of the judicial system. White collar organized crime is king now and immune from monetary punitive harm....so say my dear friends that have worked for the DOJ since appointed by the "W" administration. Wonder why they are still in their jobs as they were all political appointments.....

lol

What were they going to do about minor self reported violations they already knew about? Nothing.

What about the NON-self-reported violations?

If we were committing those with the AIA in place, I think it's fair to presume we were committing some non-self-reported violations in the pre-November 2011 era too.

And if/when NCAA folk found those: Emmert would have been shouting: MAN THE BATTLESHIPS, WE'RE TAKING DOWN PENN STATE, WE HAVE PROOF THEY BROKE NCAA RULES!!!

On a side note, thanks for implicitly admitting I wasn't making those numbers up. I wasn't engaging in "rank speculation." :)

If we were committing those with the AIA in place, I think it's fair to presume we were committing some non-self-reported violations in the pre-November 2011 era too.

And if/when NCAA folk found those: Emmert would have been shouting: MAN THE BATTLESHIPS, WE'RE TAKING DOWN PENN STATE, WE HAVE PROOF THEY BROKE NCAA RULES!!!

On a side note, thanks for implicitly admitting I wasn't making those numbers up. I wasn't engaging in "rank speculation." :)

You're really reaching now.

17411d1296838733-georgia-republican-wants-abolish-drivers-batshit-crazy-smiley.gif

Reactions: Ski
Its almost irrelevant what the Paterno attorney fees will be since they will be paid by the NCAA when it is all said and done.

Totally agree. As part of the final verdict, the NCAA will be instructed to pay the Paterno's attorneys.
Also Mark Emmert can't just retire and walk away from this case and wash his hands of everything because he is personally named in this lawsuit along with Ray.

Because accepting the Freeh Report --- AFTER it became the news story of the day on that Thursday in July and everybody in America was talking about it --- was the 100% correct play.

You gotta look at things from where they stood at 12 Noon on Thursday 12-July-2012. From that perspective, they made the right play.

Things became REAL bad for Penn State in the days immediately following PSU accepting the Freeh Report. There is no doubt about that. However, let's not lose site of this --- things would have been multiples WORSE if we had fought the report. Rightly or wrongly, the general public was in no mood for such debate. They were in no mood for Penn State saying "yeah, we paid $6.5 million for this report, but we don't accept what it says." The death penalty may have actually occurred --- unilaterally --- if we had actively fought. The right move was eating the "shit sandwich" as it is and moving on.

Where the BOT really screwed up is this: the Freeh Report should have been for internal consumption only. It should have never seen the light of day. If Freeh said that was unacceptable to him, you don't take on his services. There are/were other potential suppliers.

The real mistake by PSU BOT members was made in November 2011, in the weeks immediately following this story blowing up. November 2011. Not July 2012.

The Freeh Report said exactly what Ken Frazier and Ron Tomalis wanted it to say and it was released to the public because that is what they wanted.

Ah, we're back to the start of this circle. Fair enough .....

You are pretending that this mess started in July 2012. The trustees released the brakes on the train well before then.

Reactions: Ski

While I don't completely disagree that the NCAA would have been looking for something to nail us on, you're overplaying your hand. All schools self report secondary violations every year. They are minor and don't result in punishment. PSU self reported violations well before the AIA was in place. There was an (in)famous one with Joe, who I believe happened across some players in a pickup game on campus and he stopped to watch for a few minutes. Whoops, NCAA violation (seriously). This was in a period when practices and coaching is not allowed, so it was a minor secondary violation that got self reported. There was no way they would have nailed us for that crap; if they did, every school would have to have receive sanctions and the press would have had a field day. Yes, the optics would have been horrible, but it was not a foregone conclusion the NCAA would have found anything. Especially with their lack of subpoena power.

If you believe some of the folk here ----- the Board of Trustees TOLD Louis Freeh to frame Joe Paterno. In part, to cover up sins committed by the Board of Trustees.

If that's true, it certainly seems like there are legal grounds for the Paterno Estate to sue Penn State.

Of course, you need some tangible proof that this framing occurred. That's the challenge (and something the likes of John Ziegler don't necessarily like to address): there is a lot of talk about this "framing" having occurred, but little in terms of tangible proof.

So where is the tangible proof that anyone at PSU did anything wrong? Where is the tangible proof that the Freeh report is credible?

Reactions: ApexLion and Ski
How does suing the NCAA help to answer that question?

Conversely, how would suing Louis Freeh and Penn State University help answer that question?

Graham Spanier is suing the right entities. The Paterno estate is not. They're making the "easier play" of suing the NCAA. And hoping that this "back door lawsuit" gets results without the risk of a headline of "Paterno heirs sue University that employed their father for 50+ years."

Now, maybe this does work. But I continue to say ----- the Paterno estate should "walk the walk" and directly sue Penn State. It's more direct and also more intellectually honest.

I agree that the Paternos should be suing Penn State and named board members. And they are correctly suing the NCAA.

Reactions: Ski and Zenophile
I agree that the Paternos should be suing Penn State and named board members. And they are correctly suing the NCAA.
Agree with both of your positions. I do think that the Paternos will eventually sue PSU directly........and might be the most powerful chance of dumping these snakes into the flames.

Reactions: therod and WeR0206
Because accepting the Freeh Report --- AFTER it became the news story of the day on that Thursday in July and everybody in America was talking about it --- was the 100% correct play.

You gotta look at things from where they stood at 12 Noon on Thursday 12-July-2012. From that perspective, they made the right play.

Things became REAL bad for Penn State in the days immediately following PSU accepting the Freeh Report. There is no doubt about that. However, let's not lose site of this --- things would have been multiples WORSE if we had fought the report. Rightly or wrongly, the general public was in no mood for such debate. They were in no mood for Penn State saying "yeah, we paid $6.5 million for this report, but we don't accept what it says." The death penalty may have actually occurred --- unilaterally --- if we had actively fought. The right move was eating the "shit sandwich" as it is and moving on.

Where the BOT really screwed up is this: the Freeh Report should have been for internal consumption only. It should have never seen the light of day. If Freeh said that was unacceptable to him, you don't take on his services. There are/were other potential suppliers.

The real mistake by PSU BOT members was made in November 2011, in the weeks immediately following this story blowing up. November 2011. Not July 2012.

How many times does the NCAA have to state the death penalty was a bluff before you give up your contention it was actually a possibility? Oh right, that would require a little honesty on your part.

Right....

They would never have applied the "death penalty" because through amicus if not by the BoT an injunction would've been sought.

dunce-cap.jpg
Hey Einstein, that's a perfect hat for you. Don't lose it. Do you realize that an injunction would likely have sent PSU and the NCAA into years of protracted litigation with no guarantee PSU would have prevailed? How hard do you think it might have been hiring a top flight coach and recruiting blue chip kids with just only a slight possibility that the NCAA's penalty might be upheld by the court? The continuing existence of all of PSU Athletics would have been on the line and PSU could have been expelled from the conference. Why do you think Gene Marsh recommended taking the deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: mdahmus and GTACSA

This is too funny. Now you're claiming the NCAA would have done a more thorough job than the NCAA, when even Emmett says that's not possible. What are these mythical infractions that not even freeh could find? What is truly funny about your responses is all the times you've mentioned you're a god fearing individual, and yet over and over you exhibit such dishonesty.

Umm, yeah you were. You were using a different account to try and show previous numbers were not correct.

I wouldn't be surprised if during discovery they did just that. The NCAA's best bet is to pin this on the bot, and they have some dirt. While preferring not to name PSU directly, the Paterno's have shown a willingness to expand their scope to include PSU as required.

Hey Einstein, that's a perfect hat for you. Don't lose it. Do you realize that an injunction would likely have sent PSU and the NCAA into years of protracted litigation with no guarantee PSU would have prevailed? How hard do you think it might have been hiring a top flight coach and recruiting blue chip kids with just only a slight possibility that the NCAA's penalty might be upheld by the court? The continuing existence of all of PSU Athletics would have been on the line and PSU could have been expelled from the conference. Why do you think Gene Marsh recommended taking the deal?

Umm, yeah you were. You were using a different account to try and show previous numbers were not correct.

Huh???? What "different account" was I using??? Please be specific. I'm really interested in what you are going to say here.

Seriously, if you can provide some proof that I was "using a different account to try and show previous numbers were not correct", I'll leave Rivals forever, while ALSO paying you $1000 in cold hard cash. So I've given you some incentive to prove your claims.

Yes, I do own the Count_von_Count moniker here, michnittlion is not my only moniker. But The Count doesn't comment on sanctions related issues. The Count has different interests in life :)

So where is the tangible proof that anyone at PSU did anything wrong? Where is the tangible proof that the Freeh report is credible?

Felony charges against C/S/S seem pretty tangible to me. The Freeh report is credible because the NCAA said so and the tangible proof sits in a lawyer's office in Philly protected by attorney client privilege.

ADVERTISEMENT