ADVERTISEMENT

fc Frank Beamer almost taking a page from JoePA playbook, names son and 1 other as his possible

successor. I don't think JVP ever said that Jay should be the next HC at PSU (although many people felt he was pushing for that) But Frank says when he leaves he would like to see Shane Beamer or Bud Foster become HC. Hopefully he'll be around to help make that call.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...next-virginia-tech-coach-comes-from-the-staff

I have no doubt that's what Jay wanted, but am sure Joe was smart enough to know a) Jay wasn't/isn't experienced enough for that gig, and b) very doubtful PSU would hire him as Joe's immediate successor. I think Joe wanted to make sure Jay would be able to stick around the football program in some capacity, and if Joe had lived and were able to get someone from his 'list' of successors I have little doubt he would have been able to make that happen for Jay (also assuming our administration decides to handle the Sandusky matter differently, you know, maybe insist this is a police matter and leave it at that?).

I don't blame Jay for wanting to coach for his dad; would be the best of everything, right? But, it hurt his credibility and progression, which is why no one will hire him today (well, as far as 'coaching' goes). Did Beamer's son ever forge his own path?

I have no doubt that's what Jay wanted, but am sure Joe was smart enough to know a) Jay wasn't/isn't experienced enough for that gig, and b) very doubtful PSU would hire him as Joe's immediate successor. I think Joe wanted to make sure Jay would be able to stick around the football program in some capacity, and if Joe had lived and were able to get someone from his 'list' of successors I have little doubt he would have been able to make that happen for Jay (also assuming our administration decides to handle the Sandusky matter differently, you know, maybe insist this is a police matter and leave it at that?).

I don't blame Jay for wanting to coach for his dad; would be the best of everything, right? But, it hurt his credibility and progression, which is why no one will hire him today (well, as far as 'coaching' goes). Did Beamer's son ever forge his own path?

Did Beamer's son ever forge his own path?

Good question, did he?? Looks to me there's at least 1 obvious connection to Frankie in each of his steps.

Did Beamer's son ever forge his own path?

Good question, did he?? Looks to me there's at least 1 obvious connection to Frankie in each of his steps.

Just checked - he goes from LB/SS/ST/RC coach at South Carolina to Associate Head Coach/RB's coach at VT. Not bad, eh? Will give him credit for going six years (more if you count his GA time) on his own before calling his dad up for a promotion (Jay did two years on his own).

Is VaTech on a future schedule for PSU? It's one of the very few good football schools that PSU has never played.

Not sure why UVa has played PSU a number of times (well, I guess George Welsh may have had something to do with that), but VaTech had not been on the schedule.. It's a nice trip down I-81, good fan support, and Jim Weaver from PSU was the long-time A.D.

I'm pretty sure I remember Joe saying he didn't want Jay to be the HC.
It would have been interesting because everyone thinks that Urban was as good as delivered as the next PSU HC.
I wonder how the rest of the staff would have been filled out?

Reactions: step.eng69

Agree, if I were Jay, I'd try to land a job at a program like Akron where Terry Bowden might be immune to looking at Jay's experience with a jaundiced eye due to his own pedigree.

When it comes to football, Jay may have a better chance of making an impact by writing about it.

I think Joe knew Jay would never be named the next head coach, but that didn't mean he didn't want it to happen. I think Joe was thinking that when he stepped down, that Jay would move into a role akin to what Fran Ganter had in associate AD role.

Just checked - he goes from LB/SS/ST/RC coach at South Carolina to Associate Head Coach/RB's coach at VT. Not bad, eh? Will give him credit for going six years (more if you count his GA time) on his own before calling his dad up for a promotion (Jay did two years on his own).
on his own really?? Understand the relationships at work. Frankie just sent him out to his buddies for seasoning ala Joe did for Jay.
His first GA stop?? Ol' buddy George Oleary. Frankie, Ralph (yes that Ralph ), George , and Booby Ross are all thick as thieves, as they all worked together, coached together etc. so when Shane needed a job, he called his old pal George, step 1.
Next question, how many time you see a guy go from GA at one school to full time coach at another school? (especially one he didn't play at?) well other than Bill Kenney, its very rare.
Now after GAing at UT, he gets a full time job at Mississippi State with Sylvester Crooms. Good work if you can get it. Booby Ross gave Sylvester Crooms his first OC job with the Detroit Loins. Bobby Ross and Frankie are very tight. Bobby(Frankie) got Shane that job.
the real question is, why didn't Shane get a job at Louisiana- Layette ?? Why there? Why ask that? Wouldn't that be the kind of place a young coach would want to make their bones?? Why go to UT and be a GA when you could be full time coach at ULL?? Ask Ricky Bustle about that. Who? The HC at ULL at the time, and a former OC for Frankie at VT. Would be interesting to know why Ricky never called and offered. And for the record I don't know.

I heard Bill Snyder at Kansas State wants his kid to be his successor as well. These guys all want to keep it in the family.

successor. I don't think JVP ever said that Jay should be the next HC at PSU (although many people felt he was pushing for that) But Frank says when he leaves he would like to see Shane Beamer or Bud Foster become HC. Hopefully he'll be around to help make that call.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...next-virginia-tech-coach-comes-from-the-staff
The Holies have "jumped the shark"......unfortunately.

Always felt they had a nice fanbase....and have met a ton of real nice VT alums over the years.

Beamer did a heck of a job down there.....but he has stayed on too long, and they are well below the program level that he took them to in the 90's. Recruiting has fallen way off, not competitive with the top programs anymore.

Its a shame....but it happens.

The next guy is going to have a much tougher road than he would have if Frank stepped aside 4-5 years ago.

I could be wrong but I dont think Joe ever mentioned Jay in a press conference until the final year, when Joe talked about some criticism Jay took. Maybe in one on one interviews Joe mentioned Jay more.
The Holies have "jumped the shark"......unfortunately.

Always felt they had a nice fanbase....and have met a ton of real nice VT alums over the years.

Beamer did a heck of a job down there.....but he has stayed on too long, and they are well below the program level that he took them to in the 90's. Recruiting has fallen way off, not competitive with the top programs anymore.

Its a shame....but it happens.

The next guy is going to have a much tougher road than he would have if Frank stepped aside 4-5 years ago.

I've read Beamer might stay two more years. Apparently VT and Tenn. are playing a football game in a nascar stadium that Beamer is really excited about. But, its in '16. Good coach, but definitely living off his past glories at this point.

I follow VT closely, and have been to many games down there (wife, as well as a few of my good friends are Hokies). It's amazing how similar are PSU and VT. VT is really a scaled down PSU. -- In almost every way.

I follow VT closely, and have been to many games down there (wife, as well as a few of my good friends are Hokies). It's amazing how similar are PSU and VT. VT is really a scaled down PSU. -- In almost every way.
It might just be me, but Bud Foster seemed to lose his passion 2-3 years ago. I think I now know why. Just like Bradley and others, if you observe and experience nepotism on a daily basis, and it directly impacts your future goals, you lose your will to excel at your craft.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
on his own really?? Understand the relationships at work. Frankie just sent him out to his buddies for seasoning ala Joe did for Jay.
His first GA stop?? Ol' buddy George Oleary. Frankie, Ralph (yes that Ralph ), George , and Booby Ross are all thick as thieves, as they all worked together, coached together etc. so when Shane needed a job, he called his old pal George, step 1.
Next question, how many time you see a guy go from GA at one school to full time coach at another school? (especially one he didn't play at?) well other than Bill Kenney, its very rare.
Now after GAing at UT, he gets a full time job at Mississippi State with Sylvester Crooms. Good work if you can get it. Booby Ross gave Sylvester Crooms his first OC job with the Detroit Loins. Bobby Ross and Frankie are very tight. Bobby(Frankie) got Shane that job.
the real question is, why didn't Shane get a job at Louisiana- Layette ?? Why there? Why ask that? Wouldn't that be the kind of place a young coach would want to make their bones?? Why go to UT and be a GA when you could be full time coach at ULL?? Ask Ricky Bustle about that. Who? The HC at ULL at the time, and a former OC for Frankie at VT. Would be interesting to know why Ricky never called and offered. And for the record I don't know.

At some point, you have to allow for a certain amount of parental influence. It's not completely fair, but Joe, and Frank Beamer, have earned it. If they want to put in a call to one of their coaching buddies for a job for their son, well, that's one of the privileges of being an all time great legendary coach. Again, at least Beamer's boy was willing to stay away from the nest for six years.

But isn't that how it pretty much works in today's workforce. I see very few people getting hired on the strength of their resume and portfolio.
Its mostly who you know.
INMO what Joe and Frank did is just "networking" and to be fair look at all the Head coaches in both the NFL and College and look how many sons they have floating around them. Off the top of my head you had Holtz, Spurrier, Shannahan, Shotenhimer, Ferentz, Bowden...its not just Joe and Frank.

But isn't that how it pretty much works in today's workforce. I see very few people getting hired on the strength of their resume and portfolio.
Its mostly who you know.
INMO what Joe and Frank did is just "networking" and to be fair look at all the Head coaches in both the NFL and College and look how many sons they have floating around them. Off the top of my head you had Holtz, Spurrier, Shannahan, Shotenhimer, Ferentz, Bowden...its not just Joe and Frank.

Beat me to it. The way imbeciles act, Joe was the only one ever to give his son a position.

Its mostly who you know.
I agree with you, my point to Midnighter was just that, he had help along the way. Most coaches do. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the way it went about, just pointing out the 'coaching' tree. I still am curious why Ricky Bustle never hired him, though.

Is VaTech on a future schedule for PSU? It's one of the very few good football schools that PSU has never played.

Not sure why UVa has played PSU a number of times (well, I guess George Welsh may have had something to do with that), but VaTech had not been on the schedule.. It's a nice trip down I-81, good fan support, and Jim Weaver from PSU was the long-time A.D.

Hi Robroy...I believe, but no sure, that Penn State played V tech in a bowl game a decade or so ago.
Anyone on the B/W board remember the game and outcome. I think PSU lost, not sure though.

Step

up-date: you are right, I was thinking of the 2007 Alamo Bowl PSU vs the Aggies, we won 27-14

Last edited:
Hi Robroy...I believe, but no sure, that Penn State played V tech in a bowl game a decade or so ago.
Anyone on the B/W board remember the game and outcome. I think PSU lost, not sure though.

Step

up-date: you are right, I was thinking of the 2007 Alamo Bowl PSU vs the Aggies, we won 27-14

Penn State defeated TAMU 24-17 in that 2007 Alamo Bowl. I was there for Daryll Clark's emergence as a star. We were down 14-0 right away and it looked miserable for a while in that 1st quarter. But then Butler made a great catch for a TD and Clark ran for a score ... and then Royster took one to the house coming right at me seat. Kinlaw actually had a super game versus the Aggies but he didn't score a touchdown.

That was the year that the TAMU yell leader mocked JoePa and was sent home after the incident on the San Antonio Riverwalk. I have so many friends and co-workers who are Aggies ... those 2 Bowl wins (1999 and 2007) have spared me a world of grief.

Penn State defeated TAMU 24-17 in that 2007 Alamo Bowl. I was there for Daryll Clark's emergence as a star. We were down 14-0 right away and it looked miserable for a while in that 1st quarter. But then Butler made a great catch for a TD and Clark ran for a score ... and then Royster took one to the house coming right at me seat. Kinlaw actually had a super game versus the Aggies but he didn't score a touchdown.

That was the year that the TAMU yell leader mocked JoePa and was sent home after the incident on the San Antonio Riverwalk. I have so many friends and co-workers who are Aggies ... those 2 Bowl wins (1999 and 2007) have spared me a world of grief.

Thank you OB LOL.....interesting about the JoePa mocking. Maybe the reason I was thinking Vtech, they may have been on the tube that night also!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT