ADVERTISEMENT

F C: Michigan State pulls 2016 OL scholly offer

Scumbag move. Very "Urban Meyer" of them.

They are kids. They should visit and experience every one of these camps and take all their visits. Committed or not. If the school pulls your offer, they didn't want you anyway.

Reactions: ALion4Life

They are kids. They should visit and experience every one of these camps and take all their visits. Committed or not. If the school pulls your offer, they didn't want you anyway.

I feel that it's a coaches prerogative to pull a scholly in situations like this. KId wants to look around....fine, we don't want you.....Kids can back out of verbals at any time.......what's the issue?

Reactions: Bygsky
I feel that it's a coaches prerogative to pull a scholly in situations like this. KId wants to look around....fine, we don't want you.....Kids can back out of verbals at any time.......what's the issue?
So, Franklin should pull Miles Sanders and Lavert Hill's offers? They're visiting other schools, but both say they are 100% committed. If the kid is still committed, why not let him experience life and something he will most likely never experience again by going to these camps?

They want to be at PSU and in PSU's quickly closing class of 2016, but also want to experience something that not many kids get to. Sounds to me like what the OP said...MSU wants to free up a scholly for some higher rated kid and is leaving this young man out to dry. Scumbags.

Two other MSU commitments also attended the camp. The difference is Cupp didn't inform MSU of his intentions to attend, so they pulled his ship.

Apparently, his next best offers are from Indiana, Illinois and Pitt. Bad move.

20-page thread on the Sparty site: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/...States-Staff-Pulls-Cupps-Scholarship-38396298
  • "Before Dantonio takes your commitment, he asks if you 100% sure you want to be a Spartan. Then you are told to shut down all recruiting or you may be dropped. If you choose to break the rules, don't be upset when there are ramifications for your actions. If you were 100% committed to being a Spartan, why are you trying to be a Buckeye? Good for Dantonio."

Last edited:

Actually not! There are only so many spots available each year at every school! If the coach has a (verbal) commitment from a candidate and he no longer "has room at the inn" for other candidates having the same skill set, then he has to let the other possible candidates know ...... if that commit then changes his mind, then it becomes doubly difficult for the coaching staff to reconnect with the candidates that they had had to inform that the space was gone ...... until signing day, the entire process is controlled by the recruit!

Reactions: Alphabets
Actually not! There are only so many spots available each year at every school! If the coach has a (verbal) commitment from a candidate and he no longer "has room at the inn" for other candidates having the same skill set, then he has to let the other possible candidates know ...... if that commit then changes his mind, then it becomes doubly difficult for the coaching staff to reconnect with the candidates that they had had to inform that the space was gone ...... until signing day, the entire process is controlled by the recruit!
I misunderstood. I read it as the kid was committed. If he was not committed and was just simply offered, then all bets are off. Completely understandable.

So, Franklin should pull Miles Sanders and Lavert Hill's offers? They're visiting other schools, but both say they are 100% committed. If the kid is still committed, why not let him experience life and something he will most likely never experience again by going to these camps?

They want to be at PSU and in PSU's quickly closing class of 2016, but also want to experience something that not many kids get to. Sounds to me like what the OP said...MSU wants to free up a scholly for some higher rated kid and is leaving this young man out to dry. Scumbags.
Franklin knows that they are taking visits. It is out in the open. Mich state recruit did not tell the coaches he was taking visits...

Franklin knows that they are taking visits. It is out in the open. Mich state recruit did not tell the coaches he was taking visits...
Ok, then I go back to my original stance. They screwed the kid, in my opinion. Ina perfect world should the kid have told the MSU staff that he was visiting, yes. Does it validate pulling his offer after he committed because he didn't tell them? Not in my eyes.

I say, good for the kid. He found out before it was too late that this school and staff didn't care for him. He got out while he still could.

Again....it's the coaches prerogative! If he feels like the kid isn't a solid commit and can fill that ship with someone who will be solid, then I am cool with that! Better than being left at the altar and without a warm body to fill that 'ship.

In regards to your first question...That's up to Franklin...if he feels these guys aren't solid and has someone as good or better who will be solid, then I don't blame him!

Reactions: Bygsky
after he already verbaled because he attended Ohio State Friday Night Light's event without informing the MSU staff. Sounds like maybe MSU is trying to open another spot for a higher rated player.

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Michigan-States-Staff-Pulls-Cupps-Scholarship-38396298

I don't really have a problem with MSU's decision here since I doubt they make the move if they had not explicitly told the kid it was a possibility if he kept looking that they would not reserve a spot for him. It's just another example of why an early signing period is needed. If a kid is not ready to sign on the dotted line, don't verbal. It's that simple. Coaches really have too much baggage as it is to then worry about waffling 17 and 18 yr olds that throw wrenches in their plan and numbers.

Reactions: manofsteel200
The entire recruiting process at most schools is a cesspool. Nothing surprises me, and nothing should surprise any recruit, or their parents.

I misunderstood. I read it as the kid was committed. If he was not committed and was just simply offered, then all bets are off. Completely understandable.
Read the article....he was verbally committed: "Leipsic (Ohio) offensive lineman Gavin Cupp committed to Michigan State earlier this spring on May 14."

No surprise MSU is "that kind of program". I would NEVER turn my back on Dantonio, no really!
But in defense of him and MSU he represents what College "sports" is becoming $$$$$$$$$$$$
He is NOT alone.

Two other MSU commitments also attended the camp. The difference is Cupp didn't inform MSU of his intentions to attend, so they pulled his ship.

20-page thread on the Sparty site: http://michiganstate.247sports.com/...States-Staff-Pulls-Cupps-Scholarship-38396298
  • "Before Dantonio takes your commitment, he asks if you 100% sure you want to be a Spartan. Then you are told to shut down all recruiting or you may be dropped. If you choose to break the rules, don't be upset when there are ramifications for your actions. If you were 100% committed to being a Spartan, why are you trying to be a Buckeye? Good for Dantonio."

Just to make it clear, the Cupp did NOT have an offer from tO$U, nor does he have one now post event. (Edit: looks like he does have an offer from tO$U, I read otherwise in another article, my bad...).

I don't know if that irks some, but I can see even more reason for Dantonio to pull the ship.

A.) You didn't tell the coach / school
B.) You don't even have a ship at the school you are visiting, and therefore hoping to get one. (Edit: looks like he does have an offer from tO$U, I read otherwise in another article, my bad...).​

This does not mean that CJF should pull ships, to those who visit other schools, but if its part of his policy, and you were told about it up front, then fair game.

I mean to the kids visiting schools (where they do NOT have an offer to), there is an unsaid reason you are attending, and that's to procure a coveted offer.

If the MSU staff is up front about their expectations, those who verbal should reciprocate in kind.

I mean those who argue CJF should follow suite and pull scholies, look at the examples from last year of Barajas and Wimbush. CJF will not do such a thing, and he also feels that those who do verbal make sure they take their official visits, and visit other schools to be certain that PSU is where they want to end up.

Last edited:
I am OK with this practice. These offers are non-binding. If a kid gets an offer, with the proviso that he no longer takes visits, that's just fine by me. Just as long as the rules are on the table. Lots of kids accept verbal offers to have a "safety school."

This is another place where the NCAA is going a "see no evil" thing. There should be some guidelines and standards in place. Where the F is Emmertt??

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u3.png

Arcuri commits to Michigan State

It was a quick recruitment for AJ Arcuri to Michigan State - a very quick recruitment.

The 2016 Powell (Ohio) Olentangy Liberty offensive tackle picked up an offer late Friday night, promptly set up a Monday visit to East Lansing, where he committed to Mark Dantonio and the Spartans.

The 6-foot-6, 255-pound Arcuri also held offers from Pittsburgh, Indiana and Illinois. But it was the offer that came Friday - almost Saturday - that ended his recruitment.

Arcuri came to Michigan State's one-day camp, where his performance put him in line for an offer. He has excelled at defensive end in high school, while also working on the offensive line. His showing as an offensive tackle on the day that led to the offer.

He makes three offensive line commitments, joining Hinsdale (Ill.) Central center Matt Allen and Wayne (N.J.) DePaul Catholic offensive tackle Thiyo Lukusa. Leipsic (Ohio) offensive tackle Gavin Cupp previously was committed to Michigan State, but his offer was pulled after he camped at Ohio State without the knowledge of the MSU coaching staff.

The 2016 class now sits at 20 members, including grayshirt kicker commit Matt Coghlin (Cincinnati Moeller).

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/Arcuri-commits-to-Michigan-State-38415211

Arcuri commits to Michigan State

It was a quick recruitment for AJ Arcuri to Michigan State - a very quick recruitment.

The 2016 Powell (Ohio) Olentangy Liberty offensive tackle picked up an offer late Friday night, promptly set up a Monday visit to East Lansing, where he committed to Mark Dantonio and the Spartans.

The 6-foot-6, 255-pound Arcuri also held offers from Pittsburgh, Indiana and Illinois. But it was the offer that came Friday - almost Saturday - that ended his recruitment.

Arcuri came to Michigan State's one-day camp, where his performance put him in line for an offer. He has excelled at defensive end in high school, while also working on the offensive line. His showing as an offensive tackle on the day that led to the offer.

He makes three offensive line commitments, joining Hinsdale (Ill.) Central center Matt Allen and Wayne (N.J.) DePaul Catholic offensive tackle Thiyo Lukusa. Leipsic (Ohio) offensive tackle Gavin Cupp previously was committed to Michigan State, but his offer was pulled after he camped at Ohio State without the knowledge of the MSU coaching staff.

The 2016 class now sits at 20 members, including grayshirt kicker commit Matt Coghlin (Cincinnati Moeller).

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/Arcuri-commits-to-Michigan-State-38415211

Your linked sums it up quite well.
Cupp a long time tOSU fan. Luvs the Buckeyes.
No scholarship offer from tOSU.
Accepts a MSU offer.
Heads out to the OSU FNL get together. Works out hoping to secure an offer. Didn't tell MSU staff.
MSU scholly gone.
MSU then get a commitment from someone who reallly wants to be a Spartan.

Hopefully Cupp get's what he wants. An OSU offer, or decides to walk on at t OSU..

,,,,,,,,,,cheers

I don't fault MSU at all on this. It's the reality of recruiting today. If you're a good but not great prospect who's wavering, better for a team to move on rather than 'holding' a spot open in the class. And yes, it's a double standard. I'm sure there would still be schollies for elite talents like Josh King or Justin Layne if they had done this rather than Cupp - just as you won't see PSU moving on from Sanders or Hill if/when they take other visits.

Reactions: manofsteel200
I have zero problem with what MSU did. Every school should do this. Only the big boys can afford to do it, of course. In our position, we are forced to look the other way, unfortunately, and that sucks.

What's really lacking is integrity. I hate to bring up Joe, but if a player was committed to Ohio State, I doubt he'd be invited to a PSU event, if there was one. I'm not sure where JF stands on this, but if a player is committed to another school, every other school should just back off. JF didn't when he left Vandy, and frankly, I was embarrassed by that. But the entire culture of recruiting is just too toxic. It's just stupid that "committed" players still take OV's. The coaches need to take a long hard look in the mirror and see what assholes they've turned into.

No but you don't see any of the lower rated guys looking around. The kid who had his scholly pulled is one of MSU's lower rated guys.

I have zero problem with what MSU did. Every school should do this. Only the big boys can afford to do it, of course. In our position, we are forced to look the other way, unfortunately, and that sucks.

What's really lacking is integrity. I hate to bring up Joe, but if a player was committed to Ohio State, I doubt he'd be invited to a PSU event, if there was one. I'm not sure where JF stands on this, but if a player is committed to another school, every other school should just back off. JF didn't when he left Vandy, and frankly, I was embarrassed by that. But the entire culture of recruiting is just too toxic. It's just stupid that "committed" players still take OV's. The coaches need to take a long hard look in the mirror and see what assholes they've turned into.

Not really. PSU is not forced to look the other way anymore than MSU or OSU. The difference is PSU has top rated kids looking around vs MSU who had a lower rated kid looking around. OSU has Walker looking around but they did not pull the scholly of a 5 star. Bosa can take visits too.

What a shame that he could be forced to end up at Pitt potentially. That punishment does not fit the crime.

Coaches need to respect each other. Once a guy is committed, you leave him alone.

Either that, or kids should sign LOI's when they commit. That would stop all the nonsense.

Coaches need to respect each other. Once a guy is committed, you leave him alone.

Either that, or kids should sign LOI's when they commit. That would stop all the nonsense.

There should be some ramifications of making a verbal commitment.

But short of an early signing period, nothing else will stop the current trend.

ADVERTISEMENT