ADVERTISEMENT

do you think Hack is a lock to move to NFL after this season?

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
had lunch with some friends today who are die hard CFB fans - mostly Mizzou fans, but they follow the game and pretty objective. We were talking top NFL prospects and how the BIG has some real stars possibly coming out this year. when I mentioned Hack, all of them seemed pretty surprised - like why would he come out? In this forum we assume this is a given, but would he leave if he did not have a serious improvement in his results this year?

Their view was he may not be among the top QBs in the BIG this year (Cook, OSU and Sudefield are all top level QBs), and his national ranking at position may push him outside round 1. his name doesn't seem to be showing up in the pre-season rags as a top early departure. given our OL is pretty much the same guys minus Miles and Donovan (the two best guys), you could see similar challenges to the offense.

IF he has a big season and is up for all kinds of awards - his leaving would seem pretty certain. But if 2015 is anything close to 2014, how does he gain by leaving? It seems the team will be so much stronger in 2016, would he be better off staying?

IF he has a big season and is up for all kinds of awards - his leaving would seem pretty certain. But if 2015 is anything close to 2014, how does he gain by leaving? It seems the team will be so much stronger in 2016, would he be better off staying?[/QUOTE]

assuming he does not have a big season (in which case he leaves) due to OL woes and spends a lot of time in the dirt and rushing throws, he will need to consider IF things are improving on the front as the season winds down -- iow, there is much to look forward to in 2016 -- or it seems about the same and there is little reason to think he won't be under the same pressure in his last year.

if so, i think he passes and opts for maybe getting lucky and having a backup position with a strong team that has a good OL and QB coach. no guarantees there, but i think he'd make that call.

had lunch with some friends today who are die hard CFB fans - mostly Mizzou fans, but they follow the game and pretty objective. We were talking top NFL prospects and how the BIG has some real stars possibly coming out this year. when I mentioned Hack, all of them seemed pretty surprised - like why would he come out? In this forum we assume this is a given, but would he leave if he did not have a serious improvement in his results this year?

Their view was he may not be among the top QBs in the BIG this year (Cook, OSU and Sudefield are all top level QBs), and his national ranking at position may push him outside round 1. his name doesn't seem to be showing up in the pre-season rags as a top early departure. given our OL is pretty much the same guys minus Miles and Donovan (the two best guys), you could see similar challenges to the offense.

IF he has a big season and is up for all kinds of awards - his leaving would seem pretty certain. But if 2015 is anything close to 2014, how does he gain by leaving? It seems the team will be so much stronger in 2016, would he be better off staying?

Better stop throwing behind receivers in the flats which are "tailor made" Pick-6s, especially on 1st down when he doesn't need to force the ball. Hack hurt us way too many times last year where he threw picks deep in opponent's territory or 1st down unnecessarily attempting to force the ball with LATE BAD throws that cost us points outright or important possessions.

Hack has to get much better "game management skills" before he's ready for the NFL -- he's better off getting those skills at the collegiate level where the game is slightly "slower", because the speed of the NFL game could destroy his confidence if he goes too early IMHO.

Last edited:

Interesting antecdote and similarly, this morning I was listening to two guys on radio, no idea who they were, and they talked about the upcoming season. When discussing the Big 10 they mentioned Cook and Jones as potentially big time QB's. Not a word about Hack. This may illustrate that some who are perhaps more objective observers do not yet view Hack as one of the elite college QB's.

Reactions: richie83
Short of a major injury or a total meltdown.....and of course we don't want to see either.....Hack is gone. I believe his skill set is such that he projects as an even better qb at the next level. Ironically by leaving and making the transition to professional football, he may make his biggest contribution to PSU Football

Just a bit of speculation on my part......nothing to do with football...his girlfriend graduated. This may have an impact as well.

I think a lot my depend on if O'Brien is able to position the Texans in a spot to grab Hack... Gut tells me Hack would come out in a heartbeat if able to be coached by O'Brien again... And IMO would be a smart move..

Reactions: 81b&w and bytir
$$$$ Why would anyone pass up a life changing professional contract? Football careers are very different than most sports. He will probably be a first round pick and have a multi-million dollar guaranteed contract. My guess is that PSU is attracting QB's with the understanding that Hack will be gone.

Reactions: PSUSignore
At least some here at least entertain the idea that maybe Hack isnt "elite". The premium BWI board is ridiculous, seems alot more over there see Hack as the top pick in the draft. If Hack wants to be a 1st round draft pick he's gonna have to improve substantially every thing in his game. He takes way to many unnecessary sacks (where's his internal clock?) throws the ball behind receivers, forces throws, doesnt appear to see the entire field, etc. I'm sorry you cant blame every thing on the Oline, lesser talents have done more with worst Oline talent. To me there will be no excuses this year, I expect a quantum leap with the Oline which now has alot more experience. You bring up these points and you get shouted down "you dont know what you are talking about ! ". Everyone including myself wants Hack to do well he just hasnt done yet "consistently" but there's still time for that. To me PSU will not have a good season unless Hack meets his potential, anything less than PSU is in trouble.

Personally don't think he's a lock to leave, but who knows what's in this young man's mind now and how he'll feel in January.

IMHO, if he doesn't play better than he did last year, he certainly wouldn't be a first round pick.

At the same time, if he plays close to his potential, he certainly would be a first round pick.

Hopefully (1) he'll stay healthy and (2) focus on the job-at-hand and worry about the NFL AFTER the season is over.

At least some here at least entertain the idea that maybe Hack isnt "elite". The premium BWI board is ridiculous, seems alot more over there see Hack as the top pick in the draft. If Hack wants to be a 1st round draft pick he's gonna have to improve substantially every thing in his game. He takes way to many unnecessary sacks (where's his internal clock?) throws the ball behind receivers, forces throws, doesnt appear to see the entire field, etc. I'm sorry you cant blame every thing on the Oline, lesser talents have done more with worst Oline talent. To me there will be no excuses this year, I expect a quantum leap with the Oline which now has alot more experience. You bring up these points and you get shouted down "you dont know what you are talking about ! ". Everyone including myself wants Hack to do well he just hasnt done yet "consistently" but there's still time for that. To me PSU will not have a good season unless Hack meets his potential, anything less than PSU is in trouble.

Agree. Not only does he have a bad habit of hanging onto the ball too long even when the protection is good, but sometimes he will move in the pocket when he doesn't have to -- and "moves into" trouble when he wasn't in trouble in before starting to move....a big no-no and something that frustrates your OL especially when you have a propensity to try and blame everything on them.

Attending the Manning camp provided insight and network to NFL quarterbacks. Hack is a smart kid coming from a smart family. I would be surprised if he enters the NFL without a degree in hand. I also expect that he will seek advice from a variety of people including BOB before making a decision. If people like the Mannings provide advice to stay another year and he will benefit from it (a la Luck, Eli and Peyton) he might be better served to enter a year later. Also, it would be wise to see how this year pans out. If the O-line is decent, he and the team have a good year, he continues to learn from Donovan and Rahne, and is comfortable with Franklin, 2016 may be special and he might return for a chance for a run at the Big 10 championship and maybe even national championship. On the other hand, if the O-line sucks and he again has to run for his life, and he feels there is nothing to be gained by staying another year, he might decide to leave rather than face injury. I would expect that he will also weigh his draft projection.

Factoring all of this information, I would be mildly surprised if he entered the draft.

Reactions: royboy

I remember reading he was a lock to come out after freshman year, so of course he is a lock now?!!
:)

I think Hack will have a terrific season AND be back next year to play for a MNC. I think we can be that good next year with Hack at QB. I am "expecting" a 10-2 year this year and with just about every one back we can win the whole thing next year. Would I bet on it ? Hell no :)

I see him a a prototype drop back NFL QB he has the skills - new system and weak OL hurt him last year and he forced things to get things going. I have seen way early pre-draft stuff that has him going top 10 next year. I think some are being too hard on him - he has the skills and I agree this year will be make or break for him.

assuming he does not have a big season (in which case he leaves) due to OL woes and spends a lot of time in the dirt and rushing throws, he will need to consider IF things are improving on the front as the season winds down -- iow, there is much to look forward to in 2016 -- or it seems about the same and there is little reason to think he won't be under the same pressure in his last year.

if so, i think he passes and opts for maybe getting lucky and having a backup position with a strong team that has a good OL and QB coach. no guarantees there, but i think he'd make that call.[/QUOTE]
Concur

Yes he's gone. Just be happy NCAA CFB is not like hoops because he would have been a one and doner! With a Great D and potentially much improved offense, CH can direct a 1985 type surprise season. Not likely but possible. When you have elite talent at the most important position on the field, then that type of season is possible.

I can think of a few reasons why he might stay: he seems to love Penn State and has surprised us before (committed after the scandal broke, stuck with his commitment after the sanctions were announced, and didn't transfer when O'B split for the NFL like some on this board were certain he would). On the other hand, I can think of several million reasons why he would leave after this year.

Yes. Given a total meltdown and therefore a big drop in where he is currently being projected to be drafted, he's gone. It's a no-brainer. It's the NFL and he's currently one of the top prospects. Good for him.

I can think of a few reasons why he might stay: he seems to love Penn State and has surprised us before (committed after the scandal broke, stuck with his commitment after the sanctions were announced, and didn't transfer when O'B split for the NFL like some on this board were certain he would). On the other hand, I can think of several million reasons why he would leave after this year.

I agree. We can't discount the fact that he's made decisions in the past that go against conventional wisdom (in favor of PSU.)

I wonder where he is in terms of getting his degree. Franklin has said he wants guys to finish in 3.5 years. He wasn't an early enrollee but I assume he's taken summer courses.

Oh, and this probably doesn't mean anything, but if he stayed he'd be here for one year with his brother.

Actually the opposite. More likely he comes comes back.

Can someone explain to me how Jones is "elite"? Now that coaches have tape on him, I can't see him repeating anything close to the fairytale run he went on last year. Not knocking him - looks like a pretty good QB, but his resume is mighty short to be granting him 1st round status at this point.

Reactions: 81b&w
Can someone explain to me how Jones is "elite"? Now that coaches have tape on him, I can't see him repeating anything close to the fairytale run he went on last year. Not knocking him - looks like a pretty good QB, but his resume is mighty short to be granting him 1st round status at this point.

Well, you have a point. He was a mid level 3 star rivals prospect (although #84 on maxpreps) who has gained some muscle at osu. he was the #24 prospect in the state. with that in mind, he played behind Miller and Barrett and had the chance to learn the ropes easily, surrounded by great talent. When he stepped in last season, he was playing behind a great OL, with arguably one of the top 5 RB's in the country, very talented receivers, and some solid coaching that knew how to adjust the plan to make him feel at ease.

so while he wasn't an elite talent in high school, he had skills that he improved while waiting his turn. he will again have an imposing OL, arguably the best RB in the country, an extremely gifted set of receivers, a lot of positive experience, and those same coaches (and yes, there is also the part about all this time bring the #1 QB and learning daily).

i think he will have a monster season, tapes notwithstanding. all we can hope is that the hits take their toll and slow him down, maybe force him into bad judgment calls. of course, then we just get Barrett. And I can't wait for them to have Miller and Barrett in there with Jones and run some serious trickeration... ugh.

Last edited:

No, I don't think he's leaving. I might be one of the few who thinks he will be back. Much like Luck came back.

Dunno. Maybe b/c he's projected as a top 7 pick in every mock draft, and the #1 or #2 pick in some of them?

Hack was good as a freshman. Not great, but good. Really good for a true freshman. Last year was just a rough year overall for that offense, but he did not seem to progress from his freshman year. Still went through spells or erratic accuracy, still seemed to lack that internal clock that is so necessary to succeed in the NFL, seemed let his frustrations take him over at times. But he is a big, strong-armed QB who overcome some pretty adverse conditions at Penn State. I expect him to show great improvement in his deficiencies but if he doesn't, he won't be picked where everybody thinks he will.

I don't think he is a lock, but I do worry about his bust potential at the next level. I honestly think there is some there, especially if he gets on a crappy team.

I don't think he is a lock, but I do worry about his bust potential at the next level. I honestly think there is some there, especially if he gets on a crappy team.

This is Hack's 3rd year at PSU and for the first time he'll be running the same offense in back to back seasons. Hopefully the growing pains last year along the OL lead to some positive results this year and keep him a bit more upright. To be honest, I don't want to see Hack back for a 4th year. I want him to tear it up this year and I want to win as many games this year as possible with him performing well. That will do more long term for the future of the program than him having an average year and coming back. If he tears it up and comes back, well that is just gravy, but it's a bit naive to think that would happen IMO.

I think there is at least a 50 percent chance he will come back. mainly because next year with Hack would be a legit shot at the Big Ten championship and a trip to the playoffs. If this was the year it would be a definite he is gone.

Part of me thinks Hack is better off going mid-later 1st round, get drafted by better team, maybe even learn behind a guy for a year or so and then get unleashed. That was pretty much the Steelers plan with Big Ben until Maddox got hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT