ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Athletic Dept, I humbly submit for your consideration that the time to return to nameless

Zenophile

Oct 21, 2001
Directly above the center of the Earth
football jerseys is upon us. I will always be grateful for the commitments of the courageous young men who stood by Penn State in time of crisis. They represent the best of Penn State, and the inclusion of their names into the uniform was and is a fitting tribute. However as we move past the sanction era, the continued inclusion of the names dilutes the intention of that honor and is a disservice to those men. We have an opportunity to preserve the nobility of that tribute by allowing it to occupy its rightful place within the context of history. We also have an opportunity to honor the current football program by affording it the dignity of resuming a proud identity earned through decades of achieving Success with Honor.

Thank you for your consideration.

Zenophile

Last edited:
football jerseys is upon us. I will always be grateful for the commitments of the courageous young men who stood by Penn State in time of crisis. They represent the best of Penn State, and the inclusion of their names into the uniform was and is a fitting tribute. However as we move past the sanction era, the continued inclusion of the names dilutes the intention of that honor and is a disservice to those men. We have an opportunity to preserve the nobility of that tribute by allowing it to occupy it's rightful place within the context of history. We also have an opportunity to honor the current football program by affording it the dignity of resuming a proud identity earned through decades of achieving Success with Honor.

Zenophile

+1. Well said.

football jerseys is upon us. I will always be grateful for the commitments of the courageous young men who stood by Penn State in time of crisis. They represent the best of Penn State, and the inclusion of their names into the uniform was and is a fitting tribute. However as we move past the sanction era, the continued inclusion of the names dilutes the intention of that honor and is a disservice to those men. We have an opportunity to preserve the nobility of that tribute by allowing it to occupy it's rightful place within the context of history. We also have an opportunity to honor the current football program by affording it the dignity of resuming a proud identity earned through decades of achieving Success with Honor.
Zenophile

I enjoy reading your posts Zenophile, but perhaps I enjoyed this one more than any of the others. Bravo!

giphy.gif

While I would love to see the nameless jerseys, I believe that Franklin - leaving no recruiting tool unused - wants names on the jerseys such that he can send pictures to potential recruits with a Penn State jersey and their name on that jersey. If we didn't have names on the jerseys when our Team takes the field, sending a potential recruit a picture of their name on a PSU jersey would not carry the same weight.

While I would love to see the nameless jerseys, I believe that Franklin - leaving no recruiting tool unused - wants names on the jerseys such that he can send pictures to potential recruits with a Penn State jersey and their name on that jersey. If we didn't have names on the jerseys when our Team takes the field, sending a potential recruit a picture of their name on a PSU jersey would not carry the same weight.

I also prefer a return to the no names on the jersey. One change though, bring back the contrast piping!

I think the opposite. Just about everyone can send a recruit a picture with their name on a jersey so it carries little impact. Our message should be at Penn State you are part of a team, a tradition, and a history, that trumps any individual. Franklin could say to the kid "Bobby Recruit. If you are the type of player we think you are, people will not need to see your name on your jersey to know who you are."

I have a compromise. Any football player that receives their degree from Penn State will receive a football jersey with their number and name on the back. Said Jersey's will also hang in a place of honor. While playing they are part of the team and shall remain nameless.

I have a compromise. Any football player that receives their degree from Penn State will receive a football jersey with their number and name on the back. Said Jersey's will also hang in a place of honor. While playing they are part of the team and shall remain nameless.
I like that!

Reactions: psu00
Exactly. Our uniforms are now and shall remain basically the same for decades. Everyone loves our uniforms. I don't see why having a name on the back of the jersey is such a topic of conversation with some. I believe the kids like it. Let them have their names on if that's what they want. It's Franklins and the kids who should decide.

Exactly. Our uniforms are now and shall remain basically the same for decades. Everyone loves our uniforms. I don't see why having a name on the back of the jersey is such a topic of conversation with some. I believe the kids like it. Let them have their names on if that's what they want. It's Franklins and the kids who should decide.
I respectfully disagree. If you leave it to the whims of 19 year old kids you will have uniforms that are constantly in a state of flux. For example, why not blue helmets with white stripes if that's what the kids want? What do we do, take a vote every year? Part of the charm, and popularity, of college football is tradition. Sure, you can tinker here or there, but adding names was much more than that. Still, there is not much I can do about it other than voice my opinion, and I have.

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is such a big issue with some of our fans.

It's not just PSU fans. Was listening to a national radio show and they were discussing the traditional uniforms that shouldn't be changed. A Georgia fan of all people called in (somewhat upset) and made a comment on how even Penn St has abandoned its tradition and put names on jerseys. It's nationally recognized and more of the 'brand' than some here think.

It's not just PSU fans. Was listening to a national radio show and they were discussing the traditional uniforms that shouldn't be changed. A Georgia fan of all people called in (somewhat upset) and made a comment on how even Penn St has abandoned its tradition and put names on jerseys. It's nationally recognized and more of the 'brand' than some here think.
I agree. I have a friend that graduated from Notre Dame and he was disappointed when we changed. He told me he could understand the reasons at the time, but even he hoped we would reclaim the tradition post sanctions.

I agree. I have a friend that graduated from Notre Dame and he was disappointed when we changed. He told me he could understand the reasons at the time, but even he hoped we would reclaim the tradition post sanctions.

I agree. I find it funny when people say an 18 year old kid should decide if the tradition stays or not or that it's needed so they can mail a kid a picture of a fake PSU jersey with his name on it so he will come to PSU. Good God are the inmates running the asylum if this is the 'logic' we are using. ;)

Reactions: fairgambit
I cannot for the life of me understand why this is such a big issue with some of our fans.

At Penn State, it was always more about the TEAM then the individual. Putting the names on the jersey add more individuality to the team. At least that is what I remember from way back when.

Reactions: PennState1997
This is James Franklin's show now. Let him run it how he thinks it's best. If he thinks names on the back of jersey's is the best way to market the program, I support him 100%. The recruiting results speak for themselves.
if it's his show, why doesn't he decide the game times?? It seems to me, it's Penn State's show.

On the other hand, leaving it to a bunch of old men typing away on keyboards there would be no innovation. You are watching a bunch of kids play football... You read messages boards on kids while you are wasting your companies time or are retired. For those of you typing about the whims of kids, how deeply did you think about this?

You have your opinions and that's great, but it is time to move on from this dead horse to another.

By the way, the creamery should never have created Birthday Cake ice cream that is just ridiculous leaving it to the whims of a young audience. They should have vanilla, chocolate and strawberry...that's it

On the other hand, leaving it to a bunch of old men typing away on keyboards there would be no innovation. You are watching a bunch of kids play football... You read messages boards on kids while you are wasting your companies time or are retired. For those of you typing about the whims of kids, how deeply did you think about this?

You have your opinions and that's great, but it is time to move on from this dead horse to another.

By the way, the creamery should never have created Birthday Cake ice cream that is just ridiculous leaving it to the whims of a young audience. They should have vanilla, chocolate and strawberry...that's it
okay you're right. Maybe we should have the kids make the practice schedule as well, after all it's their program.

I like the tradition of no names on the jerseys.

But if we insist on having names on the jerseys, please don't allow Spider Caldwell's wife to do the sewing.

Two of the most embarrassing things I've seen with PSU football:
  • The turf conditions vs. LSU in the 2010 Capital One Bowl
  • The names falling off the Penn State jerseys at Virginia

I think the opposite. Just about everyone can send a recruit a picture with their name on a jersey so it carries little impact. Our message should be at Penn State you are part of a team, a tradition, and a history, that trumps any individual. Franklin could say to the kid "Bobby Recruit. If you are the type of player we think you are, people will not need to see your name on your jersey to know who you are."

Bobby Recruit is now being badmouthed on twitter by Pitt fans.

I've been saying for years that seniors should get to wear a jersey with their name on it for Senior day.

First of all, you are not leaving it to a bunch of old men typing away. We did not create the tradition. We just embraced it, as did generations of Penn State players, coaches, and alums. As to the ice cream, I would hope that was tongue in cheek. Surely you can see the difference between a tradition in college football and a new flavor of ice cream.......

Bobby Recruit is now being badmouthed on twitter by Pitt fans.

I've been saying for years that seniors should get to wear a jersey with their name on it for Senior day.
And that, to me, would be an acceptable solution to this issue.

I like having the names on the back and my dad loves it. Especially with the rotating of so many players, sometimes
it's hard to keep track of those on the field via number, especially for those that have lost a step. My father was always
asking me "Who made that play?". Now he can read the names instead of memorizing numbers. There is much more
to Penn State's tradition than the absence of names on the uniforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChandlerPearce
I like the names & hope they stay. Loved the Paterno era but this is a different one, just as the numbers on the sides of the helmet signified a different era.

This is James Franklin's show now. Let him run it how he thinks it's best. If he thinks names on the back of jersey's is the best way to market the program, I support him 100%. The recruiting results speak for themselves.
Expected from a JVP hater. And with respect to recruiting results, I'll reserve judgement. Personally, I place a little more emphasis on actual game results.

But if we insist on having names on the jerseys, please don't allow Spider Caldwell's wife to do the sewing.

That is a very unfair dig at Spider's wife. If I'm not mistaken, it was a last minute decision to add names to the jerseys when they did and so they did it quickly with iron-ons which is why they were falling off. They didn't have time to stitch and sew name plates on for the first game.

That is a very unfair dig at Spider's wife. If I'm not mistaken, it was a last minute decision to add names to the jerseys when they did and so they did it quickly with iron-ons which is why they were falling off. They didn't have time to stitch and sew name plates on for the first game.
I didn't intend it as a personal dig. It was still quite embarrassing. If it was a last minute thing why not outsource the job?

Expected from a JVP hater. And with respect to recruiting results, I'll reserve judgement. Personally, I place a little more emphasis on actual game results.

Are you going to start grading when he has a full roster, and one that doesn't have about 65-70% soph or frosh eligibility?

Kids today love and crave attention. PSU would be at a competitive disadvantage in recruiting if the names were removed

We have bigger fish to fry.

We can't deal with more than one issue at a time? What other fish are being fried? How many of them involve Franklin? How long would it take Franklin to decide to take the names off? Weeks, months, years?

First of all, you are not leaving it to a bunch of old men typing away. We did not create the tradition. We just embraced it, as did generations of Penn State players, coaches, and alums. As to the ice cream, I would hope that was tongue in cheek. Surely you can see the difference between a tradition in college football and a new flavor of ice cream.......

When is The Army putting names on the back of their military uniforms? When is The Navy doing it?

Nope. No tradition in uniforms. ;)

Reactions: mbahses
Are you going to start grading when he has a full roster, and one that doesn't have about 65-70% soph or frosh eligibility?
Certainly. Just saying the jury is still out. Has proven relatively little as yet. Wish him well.

Kids today love and crave attention. PSU would be at a competitive disadvantage in recruiting if the names were removed

I wonder how many kids who have committed to Penn State since 2012 have considered the name on the back of the jersey a significant factor in their decision.

ADVERTISEMENT