ADVERTISEMENT

College Road Trip Observations

joeparules

Nov 17, 2003
I recently completed a six school in five days college road trip with my younger daughter and had a few eye opening moments. Due to her desired major it was an odd grouping of schools: North Florida, Florida State, UGA, Coastal Carolina, UNC Wilmington and George Mason. Here are some of those observations:
  1. Colleges have more money than they know what to do with. Every place had major construction going on building new dorms, new academic buildings and new athletic facilities. CCU just put in a brand new "teal turf" for football and expanded their baseball stadium.
  2. If any school has a "sports culture" problem it is FSU as they have an entire facility just for their women's volleyball team. The name on the building confirmed this.
  3. Kids are spoiled rotten these days as everyone either already has all "suite style" dorms or they are converting to them. What's wrong with 20 kids sharing one bathroom on a dorm floor? It builds character!
  4. Some of these schools are borderline resorts as one of them (UNF) has a lazy river running through one of their dorm systems.
  5. PSU nickle and dimes you to death by making you pay for the work-out facilities, swimming pool and higher than average cost for athletic events. Every college had free access to gyms and pools and either minimal (FSU & UGA) or no cost for athletic events.
My older daughter never took any official tours and ended up at PSU, so this was all news to me (except #1).

One additional observation is UGA (Athens) was the only school even close to PSU as far as being a college town. Really enjoyed the downtown restaurants, bars and stores.

I recently completed a six school in five days college road trip with my younger daughter and had a few eye opening moments. Due to her desired major it was an odd grouping of schools: North Florida, Florida State, UGA, Coastal Carolina, UNC Wilmington and George Mason. Here are some of those observations:
  1. Colleges have more money than they know what to do with. Every place had major construction going on building new dorms, new academic buildings and new athletic facilities. CCU just put in a brand new "teal turf" for football and expanded their baseball stadium.
  2. If any school has a "sports culture" problem it is FSU as they have an entire facility just for their women's volleyball team. The name on the building confirmed this.
  3. Kids are spoiled rotten these days as everyone either already has all "suite style" dorms or they are converting to them. What's wrong with 20 kids sharing one bathroom on a dorm floor? It builds character!
  4. Some of these schools are borderline resorts as one of them (UNF) has a lazy river running through one of their dorm systems.
  5. PSU nickle and dimes you to death by making you pay for the work-out facilities, swimming pool and higher than average cost for athletic events. Every college had free access to gyms and pools and either minimal (FSU & UGA) or no cost for athletic events.
My older daughter never took any official tours and ended up at PSU, so this was all news to me (except #1).

One additional observation is UGA (Athens) was the only school even close to PSU as far as being a college town. Really enjoyed the downtown restaurants, bars and stores.

Going on one of those trips next week:

Our itinerary includes UNC Wilmington, so I would appreciate any further insights you had with them (what is your daughter considering for majors?)
Also looking at UVA/UNC/NC State/Will&Mary/VT/Clemson.....maybe Florida and UGA
If anyone has any insights there, I would be interested.

PSU didn't make the cut, for various reasons.....even though it is just 3 miles up the road.

UNCW is a newer (1970s I believe) and very pretty campus with a lot of tall pines. My daughter is interested in Marine Biology and they have a pretty good undergraduate program in that area. Our tour didn't include seeing an actual dorm room, but they had a mock-up of one in the visitor's center. It was pretty small (compared to other schools) and my daughter cringed when she saw it. It is definitely lacking a college town connected to it like PSU main or UGA. It wasn't her favorite of the six we saw but well worth the visit.

I would definitely check out UGA and I've been to both Charlottesville (UVA) and Chapel Hill (UNC) and they are both great campuses. I can't speak about the others on your list.

Either way it was great bonding time and we had fun (despite the 2,500 miles we drove). Good luck to you and your daughter (son?).

UNCW is a newer (1970s I believe) and very pretty campus with a lot of tall pines. My daughter is interested in Marine Biology and they have a pretty good undergraduate program in that area. Our tour didn't include seeing an actual dorm room, but they had a mock-up of one in the visitor's center. It was pretty small (compared to other schools) and my daughter cringed when she saw it. It is definitely lacking a college town connected to it like PSU main or UGA. It wasn't her favorite of the six we saw but well worth the visit.

Just another quick perspective on Wilmington --- had two step-kids go there and also visited the area many times. There is a lot to do and see -- not far from some really nice beaches and the ocean temps are good well into October. Downtown Wilmington is really nice -- lots of bars, restaurants, shops, and is becoming a popular area for filming TV shows, etc. If anything there are too many distractions at "UNC by the Sea", but you are right that it's spread out and lacks the pure college town feel like State College or Chapel Hill.

Joepa, any thoughts on George Mason would be appreciated.

Just another quick perspective on Wilmington --- had two step-kids go there and also visited the area many times. There is a lot to do and see -- not far from some really nice beaches and the ocean temps are good well into October. Downtown Wilmington is really nice -- lots of bars, restaurants, shops, and is becoming a popular area for filming TV shows, etc. If anything there are too many distractions at "UNC by the Sea", but you are right that it's spread out and lacks the pure college town feel like State College or Chapel Hill.

I live in Wilmington, on the ICWW halfway between UNCW and the beach. Understand that I am the enemy, but happy to answer any questions or be a resource. If she is interested in Marine Biology or Film Studies - unbeknownst to most, Wilmington is Hollywood-east with its studios, film production industry - UNCW has great programs. Happy to help.....

Reactions: Zenophile
I live in Wilmington, on the ICWW halfway between UNCW and the beach. Understand that I am the enemy, but happy to answer any questions or be a resource. If she is interested in Marine Biology or Film Studies - unbeknownst to most, Wilmington is Hollywood-east with its studios, film production industry - UNCW has great programs. Happy to help.....
Hope you are doing well tbux. Always enjoy your posts.

Reactions: tbux
Hope you are doing well tbux. Always enjoy your posts.
We are well....took some shots across the bow from some of your Nit brethren on another thread, but it's all good! Looking forward to this season, with your defense, I think your Nits can solve their Oline issues, let the skill position players grow up a little bit and let young Hack do what he can do and good things can happen.....I think Franklin takes them another step back to where you belong amongst the elite in the game.....good luck to your boys!

We are well....took some shots across the bow from some of your Nit brethren on another thread, but it's all good! Looking forward to this season, with your defense, I think your Nits can solve their Oline issues, let the skill position players grow up a little bit and let young Hack do what he can do and good things can happen.....I think Franklin takes them another step back to where you belong amongst the elite in the game.....good luck to your boys!
Thanks bux and same to you. You guys are certainly loaded.

Reactions: tbux

I would definitely check out UGA and I've been to both Charlottesville (UVA) and Chapel Hill (UNC) and they are both great campuses. I can't speak about the others on your list.

Either way it was great bonding time and we had fun (despite the 2,500 miles we drove). Good luck to you and your daughter (son?).

I think George Castanza went there....he was a Marine Biologist!

Reactions: bison13
Not to hijack this thread but, tbux, would you not agree that Cardale Jones is your best QB?

I live a few miles from GMU and so can offer some perspective. It has the largest student body of any university in Virginia, including a sizeable commuter portion. Several large parking lots are on campus. More dorms have been added in recent years, so on-campus residents are increasing proportionately. Although the small commercial area in Fairfax City is near the campus, the walk is long. A small strip mall abuts the campus. Otherwise, the university lacks anything resembling a college town atmosphere. The environs are typical suburban (DC), with considerable traffic on surrounding roads during a.m and p.m. rushes. Northern Virginia is a high cost of living area, so a college students budget will be stressed. I don't find the campus particularly attractive, nor does it exude a college "feel" in my opinion, but there are excellent facilities in this relatively young campus. Academically, I understand there are some strong programs, but I cannot comment in detail given my lack of firsthand knowledge.

Not to hijack this thread but, tbux, would you not agree that Cardale Jones is your best QB?

Not to dodge the question, but I think the offense can execute at a high level no matter who is at QB. Urby has shown his ability and willingness to tweak the offense to best fit the skills of each of them and they all have performed well. In my view, JT is the best choice in that he, while not quite having the arm of Cardale, can still make every throw on the field and is a greater threat running the read-option than is Jones and is more accurate, with more experience and a better, more efficient decision-maker with the ball. JT also brings extraordinary maturity, discipline and leadership qualities as well......he'd be my guy, and I'd be surprised if he didn't start in the opener....

All that said, I am assuming that Braxton's shoulder is just not able to handle the load at this point and as such is not part of the discussion....people forget that Brax was a Heisman favorite and had an opportunity to be the first 3-time MVP in the long history of the league before he went down ....having him change positions tho is the equivalent of adding another 5-star at WR or H-back.

Yi
I live a few miles from GMU and so can offer some perspective. It has the largest student body of any university in Virginia, including a sizeable commuter portion. Several large parking lots are on campus. More dorms have been added in recent years, so on-campus residents are increasing proportionately. Although the small commercial area in Fairfax City is near the campus, the walk is long. A small strip mall abuts the campus. Otherwise, the university lacks anything resembling a college town atmosphere. The environs are typical suburban (DC), with considerable traffic on surrounding roads during a.m and p.m. rushes. Northern Virginia is a high cost of living area, so a college students budget will be stressed. I don't find the campus particularly attractive, nor does it exude a college "feel" in my opinion, but there are excellent facilities in this relatively young campus. Academically, I understand there are some strong programs, but I cannot comment in detail given my lack of firsthand knowledge.
Yikes! Not exactly a glowing recommendation, 67, but I appreciate the first hand knowledge very much!

I attended Mason for my Masters degree. The education was excellent. At the time I was in my 30s and working so the college atmosphere was not a priority. I would concur with Class of 67's impression of the campus but I graduated in 2001 and have not lived in Northern Virginia since 2004 so it may be different now.

Ceasar, since it is a newer campus the lay out is the smartest of the ones we visited. It is designed in a circular fashion with the student union/book store/main admin building at the very center. The first "ring" going out are the academic buildings, then the dorms further out and the parking lots at the outer ring. The campus is pretty enough and they are trying to get away from being labelled a commuter college by increasing the number of on-campus dormitories. There is a shuttle that runs to the nearest Metro stop in Vienna for easy access to anything in the DC area. Being so close to DC, it sounds like their internship program gives the student a good chance of meaningful employment in the summer.

We didn't originally plan on visiting the school and my expectations weren't high, but I was pleasantly surprised by the campus and what they had to offer. My daughter really liked the "test optional" admission for students with a 3.5 or higher GPA (which she has) since she didn't do great on the SATs.

Hope this helps.

Yea #5 really irked me. Which contributes to why PSU is one of the most expensive public schools in the country...relatively high tuition (for a public school), notoriously stingy with aid and the above mentioned extra charges for every little thing the students do. And I'm the idiot that still allowed my kids to go to school there....sigh.

Ceasar, since it is a newer campus the lay out is the smartest of the ones we visited. It is designed in a circular fashion with the student union/book store/main admin building at the very center. The first "ring" going out are the academic buildings, then the dorms further out and the parking lots at the outer ring. The campus is pretty enough and they are trying to get away from being labelled a commuter college by increasing the number of on-campus dormitories. There is a shuttle that runs to the nearest Metro stop in Vienna for easy access to anything in the DC area. Being so close to DC, it sounds like their internship program gives the student a good chance of meaningful employment in the summer.

We didn't originally plan on visiting the school and my expectations weren't high, but I was pleasantly surprised by the campus and what they had to offer. My daughter really liked the "test optional" admission for students with a 3.5 or higher GPA (which she has) since she didn't do great on the SATs.

Hope this helps.
That helps a lot, Joepa, thanks for taking the time to respond. That is a school my daughter has an interest in simply because of the suburban DC location. We are a few years away but want to get an early start on researching potential schools. Thanks again and good luck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT