ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland State reverses course, will keep wrestling ...

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
things seemed to be moving in this direction, but I'm still pleased to read this. the students voted to increase the fees they are charged, with the additional fees going to the wrestling team.

articles about the change can be found at:

Flo: click here

InterMat: click here

Cleveland.com: click here

Tom

I'm torn. Very glad to see the program reinstated. However, what the university did and continues to do is despicable.

CSU just executed a money and opportunity transfer, away from in-state low-income and middle-class students, to out-of-state wealthy students -- and preyed on its students' emotions to make it happen.

If CSU wanted to enact a student fee to "save wrestling," they could've done it anyway. Justifying it with a "vote" in which 9% of the student body participated (6% voted in favor), is pure cowardice.

And the the fee is a classic bait-and-switch. CSU's threat of cutting wrestling was effectively a lever to launder student money into the new lacrosse program. One might reasonably ask if the students would've voted to spend their own money to add lacrosse -- a more honest question. (Yes, CSU admin did not put the question on the ballot; they didn't try to set the record straight, either.)

What CSU just did to its student body is extortion. Thankfully it's a very small fee (for now; we'll see how long it stays small).

El- Jefe....good analysis. My thoughts reading the headline were this was great although I have to agree with you now.

Originally posted by El-Jefe:
I'm torn. Very glad to see the program reinstated. However, what the university did and continues to do is despicable.

CSU just executed a money and opportunity transfer, away from in-state low-income and middle-class students, to out-of-state wealthy students -- and preyed on its students' emotions to make it happen.

If CSU wanted to enact a student fee to "save wrestling," they could've done it anyway. Justifying it with a "vote" in which 9% of the student body participated (6% voted in favor), is pure cowardice.

And the the fee is a classic bait-and-switch. CSU's threat of cutting wrestling was effectively a lever to launder student money into the new lacrosse program. One might reasonably ask if the students would've voted to spend their own money to add lacrosse -- a more honest question. (Yes, CSU admin did not put the question on the ballot; they didn't try to set the record straight, either.)

What CSU just did to its student body is extortion. Thankfully it's a very small fee (for now; we'll see how long it stays small).
Similar conclusion, totally divergent path to that conclusion for me.

The 4-6 dollar per credit hour increase in tuition would have raised approximately (assuming the average student is a half-time student...probably not too out of line for a commuter school) $1.3 million, which would have both increased our funding substantially, added the lacrosse program, and a women's sport to go with it. (probably figure we'd have gotten about $500,000 out of it) This $1 an hour increase in tuition, however, raises about $250,000, most of which will go to a yet-to-be-named women's sport (ha!), and probably causes us to be in more of a bare-bones situation...

In short, and in death row parlance, this decision was a stay, not a pardon. I fully expect either us or lacrosse to be back in this situation in a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT